Wiki Posts
Search

MODDED 1/8 E-BUGGY MOTORS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Thumbs up MODDED 1/8 E-BUGGY MOTORS

Like rotor Ron, etc, looking for a company who will install Ceramic bearings, Test the strength, that way I can get one for my needs, I know all the 1/10 where to go, just haven't seen anything, for the larger e-buggy's, this is first season running, so some questions may seem silly, as I'm a student on building, I just like to build to the max, don't need a car failing, cause I wanted to save a buck, wrong hobby for that, lol
Old 03-26-2018, 10:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I am subscribing, because the support of 1/8 brushless tuning is rather weak.

I say this because when I started 1/8 on road brushless, I ran Trinity, and my input fell on deaf ears, then I dealt with LRP, and it was the same, plus quality issues. So now my son and I run 1/8 e-buggy and truggy. We run Ruddog and Hacker Motors, powered by HW XR8 Plus esc's.

We have done a little modding ourselves, i.e. machining the cans for weight reduction, and installing our own ceramic (SKF - shielded ceramic bearing). other than that, there is no dyno info we have, yet would be nice to know. The mods are only for reliability, and weight reduction. Any tuning is done through the ESC.

I would love to support a 1/8 motor tuner!

TTB is just insane!
Old 03-27-2018, 05:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

IMO... tuning is only necessary for stock racing, not sure I've even seen a motor analyzer that could handle more than 2S anyway, unless you invest in a $500 dyno... probably cheaper to go with a 6S setup if you want more power and efficiency
Old 03-31-2018, 12:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What kind of benefit would motor tuning provide? It seems to me that the majority of racers are choosing something fairly modest like the 1900kv, but if it is just about getting power, higher KV is available.

awhile back I did some crude testing, and I got a peak current draw of 105A * 14.8v = 1554 watts = ~2hp. I was using a tekin 2250kv in a truggy, and on blacktop. I hooked up a "Watt's Up" meter in series between battery and ESC.

It was interesting, but I don't know how useful it is. Offroad has lower traction than blacktop (obvious, I know...), so you'll never use all that power on dirt. Maybe you'd use it when bashing, if you use taller gears, but not likely on a race track.

Someone up to speed with arduino could probably build a data logger to give real amp draw data over a run. My ESCs will log everything but amperage, and I think others are the same? But if you had amperage, voltage, and rpm synchronized, you can extrapolate torque and power curves.

A true dyno could measure the motor's efficiency...but knowing efficiency doesn't really make a difference, does it? Electric motor efficiency is highly dependent on RPM, and we aren't ever running at a constant RPM.

Last edited by fredygump; 03-31-2018 at 12:40 AM.