Schumacher's NEW Cat L1 4wd Buggy! >

Schumacher's NEW Cat L1 4wd Buggy!

Like Tree161Likes

Schumacher's NEW Cat L1 4wd Buggy!

Old 03-27-2018, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 같.같ABMC같.같 View Post
The belts seem to be made out of a different material. I wonder if they cause less friction and are more durable than the old belts.
Stronger belt materials they have been testing for some time now
Old 03-27-2018, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by KOULLIT View Post
Hi,

Is Schumacher the first manufacturer to use a center pivot for this type of ackerman design ?
I don't remember, but it seems they are the first to use it.
We know that the older system was non symmetric, with different steering results between right and left wheel, but many other brands told me it is insignificant...
It seems that Schumacher prefer this design now !
I will continue to monitor this on other brands futur models...

Bye !
This system is very robust. Next to no slop
Old 03-27-2018, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Propchecku37 View Post
Wow healthy price tag $549.00 pre order @ AMain. I hope that changes a little bit cuz this is one sexy buggy. A lot of new designing went into this 4WD buggy. How has the testing been going Tony Newland?

edit..price got changed today 3/26/18 that's a whole lot better!!
I don뭪 have one yet
Old 03-27-2018, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Is this car designed solely for carpet racing or it can work in dirt tracks also? (not clay). Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 03-27-2018, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by madness View Post
Is this car designed solely for carpet racing or it can work in dirt tracks also? (not clay). Thanks in advance for the help!
Word is that it뭩 great on all surfaces.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by madness View Post
There’s a video with Trish, one of the designers at Schumacher, where he says it’s been designed & tested on Astro, carpet & dirt.

https://youtu.be/36qule-DbT4
Old 03-28-2018, 12:01 AM
Tech Addict

I guess, you can run saddle packs in it too, cause of the place for more weight at the rear end if necessary, so should be good for dirt also!?
Old 03-28-2018, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thank you all!
Old 03-28-2018, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I imagine the L1 is g2g on dirt track.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Why does Schumacher stick to belt drive? It could snap, takes more space than a shaft, access to diffs is restrained, restricts your set ups possibilities, needs belt tensioners... No way to put the weight in the middle / front as with the tekno eb410 or the HB d418.

Any objective and proven advantage of belt drive to compensate for the a.m. drawbacks?

Torque steering with shaft drive is sometimes mentioned but seems to be rather a problem of poorly designed 1/1 wannabe sport cars. The causes (lack of symmetry that leads to different tweaks between left and right front wheels) are not really present in rc cars anyway.

As to the sometimes alleged efficiency advantages of belts (no need to turn the longitudinal movement of the motor 90 degrees to the wheels), I have never seen any proof for that although it could be measured objectively. Sounds like a bold claim then.

And when you look at competition results nothing hints at any advantage of the belt drive.

Any hard evidence I am wrong is welcome though.

Last edited by Swosh; 03-29-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Swosh View Post
Why does Schumacher stick to belt drive? It could snap, takes more space than a shaft, access to diffs is restrained, restricts your set ups possibilities, needs belt tensioners... No way to put the weight in the middle / front as with the tekno eb410 or the HB d418.

Any objective and proven advantage of belt drive to compensate for the a.m. drawbacks?

Torque steering with shaft drive is sometimes mentioned but seems to be rather a problem of poorly designed 1/1 wannabe sport cars. The causes (lack of symmetry that leads to different tweaks between left and right front wheels) are not really present in rc cars anyway.

As to the sometimes alleged efficiency advantages of belts (no need to turn the longitudinal movement of the motor 90 degrees to the wheels), I have never seen any proof for that although it could be measured objectively. Sounds like a bold claim then.

And when you look at competition results nothing hints at any advantage of the belt drive.

Any hard evidence I am wrong is welcome though.
Belts are their thing and have worked well for them. The L1 definitely looks blistering fast on EOS carpet. EOS results since the L1 has ran have been pretty dominant. I am not a Schuey owner, but have to give them credit for sticking to their thing and credit to their new L1 as it has been crushing it at EOS races.
HeavyD99 likes this.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Nothing proves to any particular performance advantage of shaft drive either really. It’s what Schumacher does and they are quite successful with it. You mentioned it. Torque steer and rotational forces. Particularly when the car jumps are different.
Swosh likes this.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Nothing has been proven that the new EB410 layout, or new HB418 provides any advantage over conventional layouts. I can say from experience in still running my 2 YZ4 belt wheelers that one does not need to worry about these belts snapping. Regarding space belt wheelers like the YZ4 and L1 allow for a plethora of lipo layouts and types. Especially the YZ4 as one can run a shorty parallel or perpendicular to the chassis in a multitude of different areas, same goes with saddle packs, bricks and even dual 1s pan car (extra weight and super LCG)
Swosh likes this.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

anyone get a cat L1 kits yet ??
Old 03-29-2018, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Cornerspeed and turning look awesome on the video. Dang it. I hear the sucking sound of my money disappearing again.
Norse and Propchecku37 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service