Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Eddie_E
  • 2 Post By Bri

Please help my Son.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Please help my Son.

Greetings all,

I am in need of expert advise- a few months ago we bough him the Redact EXP pro monster truck. I know Redcat sucks but it is what it is... The problem we are having is hew keeps throwing his front dog bones out. I have tried everything I know to do, and was hoping I could get some advise.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Check the screws that hold the steering knuckles in place on the bottom control arm. Make sure that there is an o-ring in the cup. I think it's a 3mm o-ring that goes in the cup to take up some slack when turning hard. Also, if the radio has proportional steering adjustment, back it down to about 80% so it doesn't turn so sharp.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:39 AM
Bri
Tech Regular

When does it throw it out the dog bone? Just driving and turning or on landing from a jump.

Redcat is pretty darn good these days so this should be an easy fix.

Best regards,
Brian
Old 03-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Tech Rookie

It has happened both ways turning and jumping-
Old 03-19-2018, 10:10 AM
Bri
Tech Regular

Here is what I recommend -
1) Be sure that the lower eyelet on each front shock is fully threaded on the shock shaft. You want to use a shock shaft tool or something soft between the pliers to hold the shock shaft as you try to screw it on a little further. Ideally, no threads should be showing and all the shocks should be the same length.

2) Use the upper set of holes on the front shock tower to mount the shocks and/or use the outside holes on the lower front suspension arms.

These suggestions will lessen the down travel of the front suspension and help to keep the dog bones from coming out.

3) If you still notice a lot of fee play with the dog bones, then you can put an o-ring in each drive cup.

Best regards,
Brian
Old 03-20-2018, 05:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Put the o-rings into the diff cup and outer stub axle first. Make sure that it centers the dog bone and check that when you rotate the wheel through its axis of steering that it doesnt catch or fall out.

Another option is to grab the CVD's for the truck. Part number 08046 on Redcat's website. They go for $17.99 a pair and are worth the upgrade.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:29 AM
Bri
Tech Regular

The Amazon reviews on the 08046 CVDs aren't good at all so you may try the other suggestions first before giving them a try.

Basically, if the dog bones are coming out then it's due to the following -
1) Too much down travel of the suspension.
2) Too much free play of the dog bone side to side.
3) Excessive suspension flex which can happen from a really hard hit or worn out suspension parts.

Best regards,
Brian
Old 03-20-2018, 05:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

+1 to CVD's this is the best solution

If you don't want to spend money on the CVD's, then I would cut fuel tubing (instead of using rubber o-rings). I don't have a RedCat but have experienced the same problem on another car where they used o-rings by default, but I found that I needed to cut a longer length to get the dog bones to stay, it's really a trial and error sort of thing.

*** I also had one car (not sure if this will be the case for your RedCat) where the plunge wasn't deep enough and even though I was using CVD's the shaft would still pop out and I found it necessary to reduce the droop. If your car doesn't have droop screws then you can place spacers underneath the pistons inside the shocks and this will also make it less likely to throw a shaft
Old 03-20-2018, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

I am a big fan of nitro fuel hose under the shock piston.. softer then a Hard sudden stop of piston travel...and reducing the hammering of suspension.

its getting the spacing correct... but worth it.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kevinatfms
Put the o-rings into the diff cup and outer stub axle first. Make sure that it centers the dog bone and check that when you rotate the wheel through its axis of steering that it doesnt catch or fall out.

Another option is to grab the CVD's for the truck. Part number 08046 on Redcat's website. They go for $17.99 a pair and are worth the upgrade.
Is the o-ring a hardware store item, and what size?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kcdano
Is the o-ring a hardware store item, and what size?
Shock O-rings from Traxxas, AE or TLR.
kevinatfms likes this.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:01 PM
Bri
Tech Regular

Please delete. Double post.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:03 PM
Bri
Tech Regular

Just be careful not to take out all the free play with the o-rings otherwise you will start bending dog bones. A good way to check is by fully compressing the suspension and then see if the dog bone can still move a little bit side to side.

Also, until you get it figured out, it helps to paint the dog bones a bright color so if they come out, they will be easy to find.

Best regards,
Brian
Troubles Dad and kevinatfms like this.