Which 2wd Buggy Tires Last Longest? >

Which 2wd Buggy Tires Last Longest?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By FSimi

Which 2wd Buggy Tires Last Longest?

Old 03-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Which 2wd Buggy Tires Last Longest?

Guys at my track are using electrons, stage twos, riptides, positrons, and occasionally dirtwebs. Which tire lasts the longest before needing to be replaced, I don't mind how long the break in process is, I just need a tire that will last a while before needing to be replaced. Thanks
Old 03-17-2018, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Go easy on the sauce!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

There are too many factors to give you a reasonable answer. You could do what platgof suggests and change the sauce you use. An example is I use liquid wrench to break tires in as it wears them out faster. But then I switch to Sticky Kicks in either yellow or orange. That helps get more life out of the tires.

Another factor in excessive tire wear is running 17.5 with a slipper eliminator and getting excessive wheel spin. It's a very common cause of premature tire wear. I even know people running modified that get longer life out of their tires than guys running 17.5 because they're using the slipper and have smoother throttle fingers.

One problem with trying to get tires to last as long as possible is the foam breaking down. At that point a tire that still has tread on it is still not going to perform well. With tires being the single most important part of your set up, it's the last place you should try to save money or cut corners. I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but that is just how it is.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Dirt Hawg...
Cain, rustyus and RazorRC like this.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by platgof View Post
Go easy on the sauce!
Less sauce = less traction tho?
Old 03-17-2018, 08:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
There are too many factors to give you a reasonable answer. You could do what platgof suggests and change the sauce you use. An example is I use liquid wrench to break tires in as it wears them out faster. But then I switch to Sticky Kicks in either yellow or orange. That helps get more life out of the tires.

Another factor in excessive tire wear is running 17.5 with a slipper eliminator and getting excessive wheel spin. It's a very common cause of premature tire wear. I even know people running modified that get longer life out of their tires than guys running 17.5 because they're using the slipper and have smoother throttle fingers.

One problem with trying to get tires to last as long as possible is the foam breaking down. At that point a tire that still has tread on it is still not going to perform well. With tires being the single most important part of your set up, it's the last place you should try to save money or cut corners. I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but that is just how it is.
The foams are always the last to wear out for me. Usually after all the tread is gone the foams are still practically brand new. I just want to know which tire brand/tread pattern typically lasts the longest before forming bald spots. I am not looking for increased life out of my tires, I just want to know which ones will last the longest so that I know the next set I buy won't die after one run. One guy at my local track buys a new set of wheels every week, but I can't afford to buy every set of tires to test, so I was just looking for other's opinions and experiences. As for tire sauce, I usually break in the tires with some extra penetrating liquid wrench and then sauce tires with orange sticky kicks. I'm worried that going to a less aggressive sticky kicks will make the tires last longer at the expense of a decrease in traction. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:55 PM
Suspended

There is always a trade off. There is no magic tire that is going to work exactly the same, and have longer tread life. Some tracks just eat tires. Being smooth and not spinning the tires is the best way to get better life from tires, without sacrificing grip. Ultimately, you need to ask people you race with how long their tires last. Nobody here even knows where you race, on the tiny tiny chance someone here races where you race, and could actually answer your question. If you ask around and everyone else gets the same tire life as you, congratulations you race at an abrasive track. If they get a lot more life, then you need to figure out what they are doing that you are not. Very likely it will be a combination of tire prep, driving ability, and car setup.

One of my local tracks runs dry indoor, and it is like sand paper. You can burn through a set of tires in one day of club racing. I sauce very lightly and try to run them as long as possible. Luckily another track opened up, and if they get the moisture right then slicks work, and last a long time. If it dries out then it eats treaded tires.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Joosh M View Post
The foams are always the last to wear out for me. Usually after all the tread is gone the foams are still practically brand new. I just want to know which tire brand/tread pattern typically lasts the longest before forming bald spots. I am not looking for increased life out of my tires, I just want to know which ones will last the longest so that I know the next set I buy won't die after one run. One guy at my local track buys a new set of wheels every week, but I can't afford to buy every set of tires to test, so I was just looking for other's opinions and experiences. As for tire sauce, I usually break in the tires with some extra penetrating liquid wrench and then sauce tires with orange sticky kicks. I'm worried that going to a less aggressive sticky kicks will make the tires last longer at the expense of a decrease in traction. Thanks for the info.
I run both SK pink and orange sauce, Pink (v2) if I am running pins that I want to keep as pins, Orange if I'm trying to break in tires or if they're already slick or near slick. The decrease in traction from going to pink instead of orange in conditions that require pin is quite negligible, in my experience. When you're running slicks, the orange compound is noticeably better.

I run PL electrons or positrons, electrons tend to last a little longer but do take longer to break in. I have also occasionally run AKA rubber in the past, which seems to like the yellow SK better than the PL rubber. In general though, I find that the AKA tires (X-Links/Typos) do not last as long as PL. Chain Links will last a while, but the break in time required is very high and the minute they start to slick out in the middle they stop working. Electrons or Positrons are both still good even when you start developing a a bit of a bald stripe in the middle.

Some locals have had a lot of success with the newer Raw Speed compound, but I haven't tried them myself. These may be your best bet for a long lasting tire, but I'm not really convinced that they're as fast as the PL compound. Riptides (like electrons) are the preferred tread pattern.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Hideeho
Any tire that lasts longer will be slower. The decision you have to ask is how slow do I want to go? Do I want a chance to win? Do I want to get better as quickly as possible during practice? Do I just want to get out & turn some laps?

If you want to win or get better as fast as possible then you need to run the best tires in the softest compound with the best sauce & replace the rears every day of practice or every heat for a race day.

If you just want to turn some laps, dirthawgs or slicks (worn out race tires, this assumes you are running on some type of indoor packed clay not outdoors).