Need some desperate help with Losi Rock Rey

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sickpuppy1
  • 1 Post By fredygump

Need some desperate help with Losi Rock Rey

Old 03-08-2018, 05:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need some desperate help with Losi Rock Rey

My son and I are fairly new to this rc stuff. Things have changed a bunch in 30 years. Anyway. I bought this Losi Rock Rey thinking this was the ultimate bashing rc vehicle on the market. However the car has only impressed me for about a total of 30 minutes drive time. We have stripped gearing 3 times in the front diff and tore up the carrier twice. Iíve since moved tot wh aluminum carrier and no issues there. However we can strip a set of gearing in about 10 minutes drive time. Whatís the biggest secret to keeping the front diff from destroying itself? If you have any infor or upgraded parts for this thing. Let me know what and where I can get them.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Donít be on the throttle when it lands! Having the wheels under power while in the air and then hitting the ground under power will strip diff gears in a heartbeat
Dave_S likes this.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree sounds like big heavy tires. I use to do the same with my first T Max. You can throttle it pretty hard but coming down from a jump with those big heavy wheels under power can cause havoc...
Old 03-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Since I haven't made enough posts yet to post links, try looking at SSD-RC's HD front bulkhead. It should help with blowing up the front end.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

this one?
SSD RC HD Front Bulkhead for Rock / Baja Rey (Black)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Desertmoto View Post
My son and I are fairly new to this rc stuff. Things have changed a bunch in 30 years. Anyway. I bought this Losi Rock Rey thinking this was the ultimate bashing rc vehicle on the market. However the car has only impressed me for about a total of 30 minutes drive time. We have stripped gearing 3 times in the front diff and tore up the carrier twice. Iíve since moved tot wh aluminum carrier and no issues there. However we can strip a set of gearing in about 10 minutes drive time. Whatís the biggest secret to keeping the front diff from destroying itself? If you have any infor or upgraded parts for this thing. Let me know what and where I can get them.

The secret is throttle control, (assuming there isn't a major mechanical problem causing it....)

It isn't fair for me to say much without knowing anything about how you drive it or what kind of surface you are driving on, but the motor's own torque isn't going to break the gears without extenuating circumstances. There has got to be something like pinned throttle combined with free spinning wheels getting stopped instantaneously. Or maybe cycling from pinned in reverse to pinned forwards, back and forth without letting the wheels stop before changing direction?

It's unfortunate that you're having so much trouble, and I'm wondering if there is a way to limit the throttle on your radio or speed control? Traxxas vehicles come with a "training mode" that slows things down, which is a good thing.

RCs are usually pretty tough, but not indestructible. Some mechanical empathy is required. Even the guys on Youtube that do wild stunts and jumps have a solid understanding of and respect for the car's limits. They just happen to think it's fun to push the limits, and they expect to break stuff.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
this one?
That's it! Thanks.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all your information. I’ll pay more attention to how he’s driving it. As far as switching directions before wheels come to a complete stop may be the culprit. We have a half acre of property behind our house that I let him build a track that combines short course racing and some rock crawling. It’s a pretty fast paced track until the rocks and whooops. He loves to rock crawl at the bottom of the lake bed too. It’s a pretty fun car I’m just tired of working on it almost every week. I’m a mechanic and the last thing I wanna do is work on a scaled down version of my daily employment. Lol. ��