Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Noise in drive gear >

Noise in drive gear

Noise in drive gear

Old 03-06-2018, 05:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Noise in drive gear

Slash 2wd, spur gear wobble is so pronounced that it hits pinion set screw. New shaft, bearing, both gears,& bearing. Even went so far to replace clutch pads and contact plate.
Only thing have not changed is the pressure plate Adam. (Traxxas 5556) . Could this be my issue ?
Old 03-06-2018, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The TRX spur gears are known to be quite finicky even out of the package. Check the 3 screws that tighten the spur to the hub. Id even go as far and trying to reseat the spur gear. Sometimes you can tighten them down to where they get stuck at an angle before seating correctly causing all kinds of off axis running.

Another thing, i dont know if you know this, but if youre using the stock 3500 motor that the motor shaft is extra long so that you mount the pinion backwards. It will have the teeth side of the pinion on first with the grub screw to the outside. See below:

Old 03-06-2018, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Forgot to add that another option is to go with the 32p gearing from a Jato. The Jato spurs fit the 3 bolt VXL slipper hub and offer a much better mesh due to the tooth size. They are also run much more true than the 48p stock spurs for some reason.

I run 15/54 in my mod class Slash 2wd and dont really have an issue besides the shitty lock point of the factory slipper pads. STRC has the Associated slipper top shaft which i plan on swapping out to next time i open the trans to replace the diff fluid(sealed diff FTW). You may want to look into grabbing the Jato spur and pinion for the ease.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Must stay stock

Were running stock Mudboss so I must use stock gear. I've rotated 3 bolt mounting set up 3 times, no help. Pinion is on backwards already. Going to pick up pressure plate. It's the only thing I did not replace.
Was running perfect (in a crappy spot, lots of cinder and stonedust) and turned left one time and click, click, click. Spur hear hitting grub screw. Have 2 slash and other spur gear nowhere as neer much wobble in #2
Originally Posted by kevinatfms
Forgot to add that another option is to go with the 32p gearing from a Jato. The Jato spurs fit the 3 bolt VXL slipper hub and offer a much better mesh due to the tooth size. They are also run much more true than the 48p stock spurs for some reason.

I run 15/54 in my mod class Slash 2wd and dont really have an issue besides the shitty lock point of the factory slipper pads. STRC has the Associated slipper top shaft which i plan on swapping out to next time i open the trans to replace the diff fluid(sealed diff FTW). You may want to look into grabbing the Jato spur and pinion for the ease.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CNYJOJO
Slash 2wd, spur gear wobble is so pronounced that it hits pinion set screw. New shaft, bearing, both gears,& bearing. Even went so far to replace clutch pads and contact plate.
Only thing have not changed is the pressure plate Adam. (Traxxas 5556) . Could this be my issue ?

My first thought is that you have a piece of grit stuck between a spur gear teeth.

I've seen it before on a brand new slash 2wd...and you can't even see the thing. But you can hear it, and it sounds bad.

Take a razor blade/exacto knife and scrape between every tooth. I bet you'll find a tiny piece of grit stuck in one of them.

I might even be able to see it in the photo? Draw a line from the top edge of the upper motor mount screw over to the spur, and you'll see a spec of something between the teeth. It could be nothing, but it could be your problem.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Fixed

Ok, so I changed absolutely everything possible and it got worse!So my youngest son, who was first to show interest in this new Mudboss venture, decided to help. He asked one of his fellow racers what they thought and they told him I was installing the slipper gear improperly. That being said I learned that there is actually a proper way to do it and not just bolt it on ! Lesson learned. Thanx to you all.
MUDBOSS ON !!
"Just cause I'm a newbie don't mean I'm a child. Heck, I am 50 years old. Now get out of my room."😎
Originally Posted by fredygump
My first thought is that you have a piece of grit stuck between a spur gear teeth.

I've seen it before on a brand new slash 2wd...and you can't even see the thing. But you can hear it, and it sounds bad.

Take a razor blade/exacto knife and scrape between every tooth. I bet you'll find a tiny piece of grit stuck in one of them.

I might even be able to see it in the photo? Draw a line from the top edge of the upper motor mount screw over to the spur, and you'll see a spec of something between the teeth. It could be nothing, but it could be your problem.