Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2wd spec slash Diff set-up for off-road carpet racing >

2wd spec slash Diff set-up for off-road carpet racing

2wd spec slash Diff set-up for off-road carpet racing

Old 02-18-2018, 03:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 2wd spec slash Diff set-up for off-road carpet racing

What is the preferred grease, fluid etc for the diff on the 2wd slash for high traction carpet racing? I've searched and found a lot of info but nothing conclusive for racing on carpet. I believe to the rules the parts on the truck need to remain stock except for radio, esc, battery. Without modifying the diff what would be recommended for grease or fluid? Also, what improvements would be expected from different "fills"? I know that lighter fluids will leak out over time and I wouldn't want anything that requires frequent maintenance. At the moment my diff has the factory grease.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Bad horsie diff locking grease is what you want, it’s a PITA, but stick in as much as you can. Clean out the original grease thoroughly first. It won’t leak out, it’s more like sticky stringy taffy..
Old 02-18-2018, 04:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi RazorRC - What will the differences to handling be with this grease?
Old 02-18-2018, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tomdmcdaniel View Post
Hi RazorRC - What will the differences to handling be with this grease?
You will get more forward traction on power exiting the corner. With the open diff, when the inside wheel lifts, it will spin and not put the power down because it is “diffing” out. With the limited slip, the power won’t bleed off and it will actually propel the truck forward.

Truck will be more stable and easier to drive overall and not spin out as much.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:41 PM
JsK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RazorRC View Post
You will get more forward traction on power exiting the corner. With the open diff, when the inside wheel lifts, it will spin and not put the power down because it is “diffing” out. With the limited slip, the power won’t bleed off and it will actually propel the truck forward.

Truck will be more stable and easier to drive overall and not spin out as much.
So you have tried this on carpet?
Old 02-18-2018, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 194 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RazorRC View Post
Bad horsie diff locking grease is what you want, it’s a PITA, but stick in as much as you can. Clean out the original grease thoroughly first. It won’t leak out, it’s more like sticky stringy taffy..
Have a link to this stuff, as wondering what the on-road guys use as sounds pretty similar, so does it just lock the diff or does it allow it to rotate on a limited basis?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JsK View Post
So you have tried this on carpet?
Nope, only on high traction indoor clay with slicks. But it’s the only alternative to an open diff with the stock gear diff that doesn’t leak.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Troubles Dad View Post
Have a link to this stuff, as wondering what the on-road guys use as sounds pretty similar, so does it just lock the diff or does it allow it to rotate on a limited basis?
It’s limited slip depending on how much you put in. If you had the diff completely full with no air, it might lock it, but due to how hard it is to apply, that would be pretty much impossible.

Btw, probably best to just buy a new diff and apply this stuff, that way it will be totally clean and you can’t remove it (that I know of), so you might as well keep your old diff as a spare/backup.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hot Racing diff with 50k fluid. Running this setup right now and its about perfect. No leaks on the stock o-rings supplied with it.

I havent tried it on carpet but on a very high traction clay surface it works wonders. Id expect you could add in 100k or higher weight to get more forward traction since carpet sticks harder.

The bad horsie grease works good in the stock diff but is very stiff until you get a few hours on the diff to loosen it a bit. Its almost like you need to work it in before it turns into a limited slip. I have a tube if the OP wants it. Once i switched to the HR diff i dont need it any longer.

OP PM me if you want the bad horsie grease or I have a few diffs laying around with different grease ratings installed. Just pay shipping.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:07 AM
mes
Tech Master

I had some good success running Hudy 500K "oil" in a Tamiya TT-02 onroad car, which also has non-sealed gear diffs.