R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   2wd spec slash Diff set-up for off-road carpet racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1011020-2wd-spec-slash-diff-set-up-off-road-carpet-racing.html)

tomdmcdaniel 02-18-2018 03:07 PM

2wd spec slash Diff set-up for off-road carpet racing

What is the preferred grease, fluid etc for the diff on the 2wd slash for high traction carpet racing? I've searched and found a lot of info but nothing conclusive for racing on carpet. I believe to the rules the parts on the truck need to remain stock except for radio, esc, battery. Without modifying the diff what would be recommended for grease or fluid? Also, what improvements would be expected from different "fills"? I know that lighter fluids will leak out over time and I wouldn't want anything that requires frequent maintenance. At the moment my diff has the factory grease.

RazorRC 02-18-2018 03:11 PM

Bad horsie diff locking grease is what you want, itís a PITA, but stick in as much as you can. Clean out the original grease thoroughly first. It wonít leak out, itís more like sticky stringy taffy..

tomdmcdaniel 02-18-2018 04:34 PM

Hi RazorRC - What will the differences to handling be with this grease?

RazorRC 02-18-2018 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by tomdmcdaniel (Post 15161855)
Hi RazorRC - What will the differences to handling be with this grease?

You will get more forward traction on power exiting the corner. With the open diff, when the inside wheel lifts, it will spin and not put the power down because it is ďdiffingĒ out. With the limited slip, the power wonít bleed off and it will actually propel the truck forward.

Truck will be more stable and easier to drive overall and not spin out as much.

JsK 02-18-2018 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by RazorRC (Post 15161856)
You will get more forward traction on power exiting the corner. With the open diff, when the inside wheel lifts, it will spin and not put the power down because it is ďdiffingĒ out. With the limited slip, the power wonít bleed off and it will actually propel the truck forward.

Truck will be more stable and easier to drive overall and not spin out as much.

So you have tried this on carpet?

Troubles Dad 02-18-2018 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by RazorRC (Post 15161792)
Bad horsie diff locking grease is what you want, itís a PITA, but stick in as much as you can. Clean out the original grease thoroughly first. It wonít leak out, itís more like sticky stringy taffy..

Have a link to this stuff, as wondering what the on-road guys use as sounds pretty similar, so does it just lock the diff or does it allow it to rotate on a limited basis?

RazorRC 02-18-2018 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by JsK (Post 15161932)
So you have tried this on carpet?

Nope, only on high traction indoor clay with slicks. But itís the only alternative to an open diff with the stock gear diff that doesnít leak.

RazorRC 02-18-2018 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Troubles Dad (Post 15161941)
Have a link to this stuff, as wondering what the on-road guys use as sounds pretty similar, so does it just lock the diff or does it allow it to rotate on a limited basis?

Itís limited slip depending on how much you put in. If you had the diff completely full with no air, it might lock it, but due to how hard it is to apply, that would be pretty much impossible.

Btw, probably best to just buy a new diff and apply this stuff, that way it will be totally clean and you canít remove it (that I know of), so you might as well keep your old diff as a spare/backup.

kevinatfms 02-19-2018 10:32 AM

Hot Racing diff with 50k fluid. Running this setup right now and its about perfect. No leaks on the stock o-rings supplied with it.

I havent tried it on carpet but on a very high traction clay surface it works wonders. Id expect you could add in 100k or higher weight to get more forward traction since carpet sticks harder.

The bad horsie grease works good in the stock diff but is very stiff until you get a few hours on the diff to loosen it a bit. Its almost like you need to work it in before it turns into a limited slip. I have a tube if the OP wants it. Once i switched to the HR diff i dont need it any longer.

OP PM me if you want the bad horsie grease or I have a few diffs laying around with different grease ratings installed. Just pay shipping.

mes 02-19-2018 11:07 AM

I had some good success running Hudy 500K "oil" in a Tamiya TT-02 onroad car, which also has non-sealed gear diffs.