Like Tree3Likes

Help with wheels

Old 02-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Help with wheels

I apologize in advance for what is almost definitely a really dumb set of questions, posed in the least helpful way ever.

So I bought a Hobao RTR 2WD buggy for my 10 year old, and it's super awesome. On a quick side note, this thing is $210 or so RTR with a very nice (for the $) radio, a really fast brushless motor, and a nice programmable ESC. Ok, so the issue is that I'm trying to figure out what wheels I need.

It has 12mm hexes, but the front axles have a shoulder to them, and the pre-mount carpet wheels/tires I bought won't fit because the hole in the middle is too small to fit over the front axle. In the rear, the axles are also too large to fit, but only by a little bit.

The front wheels are retained by an allen head screw, instead of a lug not, if that helps.

Notes:

1. The buggy is a Hobao Hyper H2 brushless RTR

2, In the Tower listing for this buggy, this is the 'tech note' regarding the wheels: "Wheels: Dish type, black in color 12mm hex, 2.2" (56mm) diameter
front 0.98" (25mm) wide, rear 1.5" (38.5mm) wide"

3. Here are the wheels I bought that do not fit:

Schumacher "Cut Stagger" Pre-Mounted 2.2" 2WD Front Carpet Tires

Schumacher "Mini Dart" 2.2" Rear Buggy Pre-Mounted Carpet Tires

Questions:

1. Is there an indicator here that I didn't understand that would have told me that these are wrong?

2. Is there enough info here for me to learn what the right wheels are, or no?

3. Are there standards to off road wheels, and I just bought the wrong one, or do we think that this is because this cheap buggy has oddball proprietary wheels/axles and I'll be stuck with OEM wheels?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you might have.

Last edited by dietDrThunder; 02-13-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder View Post
I apologize in advance for what is almost definitely a really dumb set of questions, posed in the least helpful way ever.

So I bought a Hobao RTR 2WD buggy for my 10 year old, and it's super awesome. On a quick side note, this thing is $210 or so RTR with a very nice (for the $) radio, a really fast brushless motor, and a nice programmable ESC. Ok, so the issue is that I'm trying to figure out what wheels I need.

It has 12mm hexes, but the front axles have a shoulder to them, and the pre-mount carpet wheel'tires I bought won't fit because the hole in the middle is too small to fit over the front axle. In the rear, the axles are also too large to fit, but only by a little bit.

The front wheels are retained by an allen head screw, instead of a lug not, if that helps.

Notes:

2, In the Tower listing for this buggy, this is the 'tech note' regarding the wheels: "Wheels: Dish type, black in color 12mm hex, 2.2" (56mm) diameter

Questions:

1. Is there an indicator here that I didn't understand that would have told me that these are wrong?

3. Are there standards to off road wheels, and I just bought the wrong one, or do we think that this is because this cheap buggy has oddball proprietary wheels/axles and I'll be stuck with OEM wheels?

I can't say I understand why they wont fit other than possibly that they are a "control" wheel/tire meant for a specific race and buggy. Though any 12mm hex wheel should fit on your buggy.

I would try just buying a set of wheels like these first to see if they fit before going for tires. Or see if someone at the local shop will let you test fit some of their wheels.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-lo...r43009/p475112

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-lo...lr7100/p193858
Old 02-13-2018, 11:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So your problem is that the axles are to big for the hole in the rim? If so just make the hole in the rim bigger. Since your truck has 12mm hexes I assume the wheels are also hexed?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:27 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Those Schumacher wheels on which you bought as premounts are as standard as standardized gets. I believe the only (race-grade) 2w buggy that can't use them is the Losi due to an offset issue. If it's just the axle hole that is too small, try reaming/drilling them out to fit.
EbbTide likes this.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:08 PM
mes
Tech Master

IIRC the Hobao buggy was "inspired" by the TLR 22. If this is the case, the offset of the front wheels will be wrong and the thread on the rear axle is too short for the nut to engage the wheel. TLR wheels may be what you are looking for, but that's just a guess.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Drill them
Old 02-13-2018, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks all. Just to be clear, I'm aware that making a hole bigger is a reasonable thing to do when the hole is too small. What I'm going for is an understanding of the general situation.

I'm guessing that the buggy just has random non-standard axles. I will check out the Losi wheels.

Thanks again.
mes likes this.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

id use a body hole reamer.https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...xoCYT8QAvD_BwE
Old 02-13-2018, 07:21 PM
Bri
Tech Adept

Can you buy the Hobao buggy wheels separately and then mount the tires of your choice on the rims?

Best regards,
Brian
Old 02-14-2018, 06:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
I would do that too, if I wanted wobbly out-of-round wheels I already did drill them out, on a drill press in a jig.

Again...not looking for ideas of how to make a small hole bigger, but I do appreciate the effort. I'm trying to learn what aftermarket wheels will fit, if any...starting to seem like there aren't any. I haven't had a chance to try the Losi wheels yet, but I'm not hopeful.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:24 AM
mes
Tech Master

I would do that too, if I wanted wobbly out-of-round wheels I already did drill them out, on a drill press in a jig.

Again...not looking for ideas of how to make a small hole bigger, but I do appreciate the effort. I'm trying to learn what aftermarket wheels will fit, if any...starting to seem like there aren't any. I haven't had a chance to try the Losi wheels yet, but I'm not hopeful.
Make sure to try the right ones! TLR's original front wheels had a smaller hex, but they changed to 12 mm with the 3.0 generation IIRC.
Edit: After searching a bit, I did not find a perfectly clear answer to your issue. However, there is quite a bit information to be found:
http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=206
http://site.petitrc.com/setup/hobao/...aoHyperH2.html

Last edited by mes; 02-14-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I had to ream the Schumacher wheels to get them to fit my xray. I wouldn't worry about any slop, the hex should keep everything centered.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 231 (100%+)

It has 12mm hexes, but the front axles have a shoulder to them, and the pre-mount carpet wheels/tires I bought won't fit because the hole in the middle is too small to fit over the front axle. In the rear, the axles are also too large to fit, but only by a little bit.

Notes:

Questions:

If it was a RTR, it should have come with the proper wheels. So much for "Uncommon" brands.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Andy Koback View Post
If it was a RTR, it should have come with the proper wheels. So much for "Uncommon" brands.
It did come with the proper wheels. How does this post help me figure out what aftermarket wheels fit on the car?

Oh, that's right, it doesn't. Thanks for the troll post though.

There's always one...ugh.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

The Hobao uses the old skool Losi hex rims on the front. I.e. 10mm hex. It may be variously labelled as 9.5mm or 10.5mm. Basically any old Losi rims/most older gen rims will fit. Or you can get replacement Hobao rims.

Basically these *should* fit;
https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-lo...lr7001/p193857 (available in white as well)

https://www.amainhobbies.com/avid-rc...1104-w/p241367

https://www.amainhobbies.com/de-raci...sb-lfg/p275859 (available in various colours)

https://www.amainhobbies.com/de-raci...bb-lfy/p215066

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service