Search
Like Tree31Likes

did short course die

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default did short course die

The only short course I have seen lately was carpet. I just don't see it any more like it used to be. Most races are 2 wd buggy, 4 wd buggy, and E buggy. Even ST is hit and miss. I have since just shelved my SCT and run buggies only. I really like my SCT, an old DESC210R. I guess unless it gets some support it will keep fading away?
Old 01-16-2018, 04:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I continue to support the sct racing community. I love racing them because its a challenge, and you grab hand-fulls of throttle. I hate to see it die off.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have seen a major decrease in SCT as well at my local tracks. Last couple times i really only tend to see little kids with the SCT and the occasional 4wd SCT. I personally have never enjoyed the way SCT drives on the track and only use my for bashing around with my son.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:51 PM
Tech Champion

I wish 1/8 short course racing was a thing. 1/8 SCT is a lot more fun to run imo.
Berserker 410 likes this.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I tried to get the battery limit pushed up, and to no avail on 4 wd sct. I have a 3s system in my 4x4 sct and it is perfect for it. I tried 4s and it was just too much, but 3s is perfect. But what really hurts is seeing 2wd sct dying off. It is still a basher class, but at a much safer level, and it is still relatively cheap to run as opposed to a dedicated 4x4 sct. The motor limit is killing both classes, as 2wd is usually limited to 17.5 which is not enough for this class, and 2s in 4x4 sct is dangerous and expensive battery wise. I ran a 10.5 in my sct 2wd and it was not enough, then I went to 8.5, and a lot better. But a lot of tracks want 2wd sct to compete with Slashes, and limit motor to 17.5 which really doesn't work well. So people get tired of these slow cars and move on. I wish you could see the difference between 2s and 3s systems, on a Tekno sct! I have a 3s in my DESC10 with a Tekin R8 G2 and a I8 motor 2700. It is just an amazing system, runs cool, smooth power, and the battery is never hot and runs a long time. I could easily make 8 minute mains with plenty left, and on a cheaper battery at that.

Last edited by platgof; 01-16-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Same in my local track 4WD SCT is totally dead but if trophy race or big race still had 2 qual last week. I sold my SCTE couple months ago and don't like sitting there and got 2wd buggy
Old 01-16-2018, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the new track that's about an hour from me has 8 or more every race weekend. if it gets any bigger they'll need to split mains.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:04 PM
Tech Adept

I am in a similar position to raved007. Just sold my DESC410 moments ago and bought a serpent 1/8 ep buggy to pick up this friday. 4x4 sct is gone here in australia, could only drive the car in Junior class and i just expired out of that. 1/8 ep allows me to go to double the events to race.

2wd sct is still crazy down here, 6-8 entries in a club day, not too bad to be honest.

I just wasn't able to do anything with my 4x4 SCT, and i don't think that will change, so off it goes.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Small country I live in but luckily I'm not the only SCT enthusiast around here. Latest national race on Saturday had 20 2WD and 15 4WD (two people driving both classes, me being one of them). At least last summer series had a bit of a shortage on 2WD though, usually only one heat. Seeing as SCTs are my favorite I really hope we can keep up the numbers. At a club level though there's pretty much only one in the country that runs any kind of remotely frequent SCT races, which usually seems to be a few 4WDs in winter. Not sure about summer. They do have great tracks there though. Next winter series race would be there, but I'm not sure if I can go.

Of course it's also important that the numbers stay up in the US and elsewhere, otherwise I guess the car and parts support will suffer sooner or later. I'll keep driving SCT as long as I can even if there's no more races. But if that does happen I guess I'd have to get a 1/8 buggy for summer racing in addition to the 2WD 1/10 buggy I have, but I don't like the look of buggies so I've been putting it off so far. No truggy series here, would prefer that in 1/8.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

We usually had 10 2WD and 10 4WD SC at clubraces 2 years ago.
20month ago we switched from dirt to astro.
Since then, noone drives SC anymore.
It makes no fun on high grip. The SC is only a real enjoyable class on dirt.
On carpet or astro its boring, make no fun at all anymore.
Especially when you limit motors and batteries. Everything is getting ultra hot, batteries die once a week almost.
stadium truck is a different story, this is getting bigger after it dissapeard 3 years ago. 6.5t or even 5.5t in a 2WD truck is a blast.
dtr likes this.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Both of the local tracks I go to usually have one heat of 2wd sc, the carpet track doesn't allow 4wd sc but the clay track usually has a heat of 4wd.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by smrcboy
It makes no fun on high grip. The SC is only a real enjoyable class on dirt.
On carpet or astro its boring, make no fun at all anymore.
Yeah, I don't imagine it being fun on carpet. Doesn't necessarily need to be dirt though - I've never actually driven on a proper dirt track, though I'd love to. Just something that isn't high grip. Outdoors low-grip clay, and indoors suitable floor-tiling or treated concrete work nicely.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Spec Slash is still going strong at the turf track in my area, however 4WD SCT pretty much died over night with the release of the TEKNO EB410, there were 6 of the 8 guys who sold their SCT410's to buy the EB410' instead... now just 2 of us left in the 4WD SCT class... there are another 5-6 drivers with 4WD SCT's but they all took a break from racing. There's some new blood talking about getting into another class, but they are trying to decide between ST and SC.... lately they've been mixing both those classes together, sometimes even running them in with Novice which really makes things interesting in the mains, ha!

I don't plan to quit the class, even if I'm the last one, it's by far the most cost effective on tires, so I'm dumbfounded when folks switch to another class and start to gripe at how expensive tires are for other classes.

SCT on the 1/8 track has been dead for about a year now, I agree that 1/8 SCT was necessary to make the class sustainable, ROAR really screwed the class with the 2S limit. In contrast, 2S makes perfect sense for the 1/10 turf track, it's like you need completely different rules depending on the size track you're running.

17.5T for 2WD SC is just stupid, I recently saw a 13.5T 2WD SC class a few weeks back while I was on vacation and did some indoor racing in New Mexico and I think that 10.5T would be the sweet spot to get me into that class, but the only 2WD SC class at our club is Spec Slash, and for personal reasons I plan to get out of that class soon.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

We have 2 mains of stock, 1 main of mod and 4x4.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

SC has always been a basher/beginner class in my eyes. 4wd SC is a bumper car class that I can’t stand and the 2wd slash class is an easy way to get new people to the track, learn to drive, and then step up to the real racing classes. When SC started to get as expensive as, say running ebuggy, why not just run ebuggy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.