R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Ok now what?? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/101050-ok-now-what.html)

GIGEMAGS1155 02-07-2006 08:27 PM

Ok now what??

Ok I am new to the world of RC and I bought a gently used Ofna Ultra LX Comp RTR... I know this isn't what most would suggest but I wanted to get into the hobby and upgrade as I go and upgrade cars once I am able to outperform this one. What kind of upgrades should I look into first on this one. It has a servo saver and new drive shaft upgrade but other than that it is pretty much stock... So what shall I look for next?

xrcbuggy 02-07-2006 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by GIGEMAGS1155
Ok I am new to the world of RC and I bought a gently used Ofna Ultra LX Comp RTR... I know this isn't what most would suggest but I wanted to get into the hobby and upgrade as I go and upgrade cars once I am able to outperform this one. What kind of upgrades should I look into first on this one. It has a servo saver and new drive shaft upgrade but other than that it is pretty much stock... So what shall I look for next?

Keep it that way (stock), have fun with it & save money for a racer like mp777 sp2 or hyper 7 pro.

SpeedBump57 02-07-2006 10:06 PM

xrcbuggy gave good advice, keep the car stock. Learn the in's & out's of the car first. Learn how to maintain the car and keep it in good shape. If after a while you still maintain an interest in the hobby then move up to a different car. You will be money ahead this way and better prepared for a race worthy car.

windellmc 02-08-2006 06:35 AM

If you want to spend some money on it get good servos that you can use on your next buggy and a good radio. Next get a good engine if you do not already have one and a good starter box.

Cain 02-08-2006 07:10 AM

I agree, get things that can easily transfer to another car if you plan to upgrade like the following:

1. Tires and Rims suited for your track
2. Better servos
3. Engine (OS RG is a good one to start with so I hear)
4. diff fluid and shock fluid
5. Better Radio

Main thing is you don't want a money pit .

rc pro 02-08-2006 07:30 AM

yea i had that buggy ... didnt like it much .. but thats just me... they dont sterr as good as likre the kyosho 1s that i had.... and i would get diff tires...

GIGEMAGS1155 02-09-2006 08:43 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys... I think that I will upgrade my radio and the servos to start with so that when I upgrade to a better buggy that is not a waste of money. I will also be getting tires for the local track and other than that this will be a LEARNING buggy. I don't know anything about them so this has to be the way to learn without spending a small fortune. Also do you think this buggy is better than those RedCat products that they sell on EBay?? That is what I almost bought but I found this one at a fairly decent price I thought. I am just thinking that they are probably about the same quality and I can actually find parts for this one.

Cain 02-09-2006 08:53 AM

not sure about the quality , but at least you will be able to get parts.

I mainly went with CEN since they are now carried by Horizon so parts won't be an issue here.

GIGEMAGS1155 02-09-2006 01:16 PM

I am thinking that surely this buggy is better than a buggy from a manufacturer that has only been around a short while. Everyone that has the Redcat that I have read about says that it breaks and you can't get parts at any LHS. Plus they want almost 300 for it...

rc pro 02-09-2006 03:06 PM

that is a lot better buggy.... yout lhs will have all the parts you need ... yea for sure up grade the servos .. they went in mine ... they went out of control... and a friend of mine had the same problem.... and as for the tire i like the crime fighters...

GIGEMAGS1155 02-10-2006 07:10 AM

It is nice to hear that I at least made the right purchase between the two I think. I will look into the crime fighters. The track around here is a hard packed track and we haven't had much rain so it is pretty slippery. Will these be the best tires for those conditions?? Thanks for all the advice guys!!

windellmc 02-10-2006 01:58 PM

Crimefighters are not always the best tire for a particular track (sometimes they are) but they are always very competitive at all but the high traction indoor tracks.

GIGEMAGS1155 02-10-2006 07:06 PM

This is an outdoor track that it is hard packed and real slick. What do you think is best?

windellmc 02-10-2006 07:18 PM

I just re-read what I posted, and it did not make sense. I use Crimefighters almost everywhere when running outdoors because even if they are not the best tire for a track (they often are the best though), they are still very, very good.

For the track you describe the Crimefighter in M2 is the first thing I would try. Make sure the ones you get have the grey molded foam in them. The stock foam sometimes wears out too quick.

JetMD 03-07-2006 04:59 PM

Hey. I just got my Ultra Comp 2 and I love it. I took it around for a few laps at the local bmx track and had a blast. I noticed that the front tires are pulling a lot more than the rears (rear don't pull much at all, I got a front wheel-drive buggy) so i'm going to change the center diff oil. Any suggestions on which oil to use? I don't know what visc. the stock stuff is. Also, i'm going to get stiffer springs. When I jump it, it lands flat but hits the chassis. I guess I should use a thicker oil but I don't know what the stock stuff is either. Also don't know what the stock springs are. All I know is they are black. And, one last one. Who makes those crimefighter tires you were talking about. I'd like to get them. Thanks.