Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1089Likes

Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-24-2020, 06:21 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Welcome to the B6.1 and B6.1D Wiki page.

Features:

Easy-access gear differential
Differential height adjustment with 0, 1, 2, and 3mm inserts included
New slipper assembly for better weight balance and shock clearance
3-gear Laydown Stealth(r) transmission for lower and forward CG
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite front shock tower with tower guard
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite rear tower, standard height
Heavy-duty V2 rear axle with 67mm bones
V2 springs for a more reactive and nimble feel
Innovative rear arm with molded inserts for ultra-fine lower shock mount adjustment
Molded spur gear guard to help protect body from damage
Front and rear anti-roll bars limit chassis roll for increased corner speed
Battery strap allows the use of optional turnbuckle-based braces
Machined pistons included for better fit and smoother operation
Aluminum rear clamping hex and front axle with laser etching
Rear hubs feature large bearings and the easy-insert system to adjust camber link position and rear axle height
One-piece shock bushing to make assembly easier
Aluminum C and D arm mounts included for large range of anti-squat and toe adjustment
Lightweight aluminum top shaft
Factory Team upgraded ball bearing kit included (now oiled instead of greased for less drag)
JConcepts(r) B6 clear body and wing included
Steel chassis weight
Shortened, 7075 aluminum chassis

Features:

Easy-access ball differential
Differential height adjustment with 0, 1, 2, and 3mm inserts included
New slipper assembly for better weight balance and shock clearance
3-gear Lay Back Stealth(r) transmission for lower and rearward CG
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite front shock tower with tower guard
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite rear tower, long
Heavy-duty V2 rear axle with 67mm bones
V2 springs for a more reactive and nimble feel
Innovative rear arm with molded inserts for ultra-fine lower shock mount adjustment
Molded spur gear guard to help protect body from damage
+1 steering block arms optimize feel on dirt tracks
Battery strap allows the use of optional turnbuckle-based braces
Machined pistons included for better fit and smoother operation
Aluminum rear clamping hex and front axle with laser etching
Rear hubs feature large bearings and the easy-insert system to adjust camber link position and rear axle height
One-piece shock bushing to make assembly easier
Aluminum C and D arm mounts included for large range of anti-squat and toe adjustment
Lightweight aluminum top shaft
Factory Team upgraded ball bearing kit included (now oiled instead of greased for less drag)
JConcepts(r) B6 clear body and wing included
Shortened, 7075 aluminum chassis

Setup Sheets and other documentation
Setup sheets for both cars:
Piston Drills:
Aftermarket Upgrades:

Parts List:

Reference Guides (courtesy of Ray Munday and Roger M.):

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 05:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Justin805
Thinking about buying a B6.1D or the lite version for 17.5. I run at Camarillo, CA it's a hard packed loose dirt for the most part. What one do you guys recommend or should I just stick with the b6d and wait for a new buggy? I'm assuming at the rate AE is releasing stuff one is coming out by the new year.
I run at Camarillo and am happy with my 6.1FL with its slipper eliminator (it’s just 17.5 after all), but I did swap for a layback trans and brass C block to get the weight further back.
Justin805 likes this.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Has anyone had trouble meeting the minimum weight with box setup, 17.5 blinky? With an 4500mah SMC, my buggy is at 1470g. Thought in getting the brass bulkhead
Old 07-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Headling
I've got a B6 and a 6.1 chassis/complete transmission/rear tower, is there anything else specific to the 6.1 that wont convert across if i convert my car to a 6.1??
The mounting holes for the gearbox and C mount are different as I understand it. You could use the 6.1 chassis to mark the old chassis where holes need to change?
Headling likes this.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by m3rcfh
Has anyone had trouble meeting the minimum weight with box setup, 17.5 blinky? With an 4500mah SMC, my buggy is at 1470g. Thought in getting the brass bulkhead
I wouldn’t call it “trouble”, but my FL came in at 1494 before adding any weight. That’s the name of the game though: get the car super light and add weight exactly where you want to make it balanced. Want more weight up front? Brass bulkhead. More in the rear? Brass C block. Balanced but too bouncy? Battery weight. One side lighter than the other? Stick-on weights.
m3rcfh likes this.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BugleBoy10

I run at Camarillo and am happy with my 6.1FL with its slipper eliminator (it’s just 17.5 after all), but I did swap for a layback trans and brass C block to get the weight further back.
Uh oh, all this talk about the 6.1FL not being great for Camarillo has me worried! I'm just getting back into the hobby and I'll be running at Camarillo and just picked up the 6.1FL. I thought the 6.1FL was the 6.1D model but with lighter drivetrain components for the stock/17.5 racing...guess I should have researched better.

Aren't they going to be making it more high traction dirt with some special sauce/syrup for one of the upcoming races?

Last edited by kommando98; 07-10-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: additions
Old 07-11-2019, 08:12 AM
Tech Regular

I wouldn’t call it “trouble”, but my FL came in at 1494 before adding any weight. That’s the name of the game though: get the car super light and add weight exactly where you want to make it balanced. Want more weight up front? Brass bulkhead. More in the rear? Brass C block. Balanced but too bouncy? Battery weight. One side lighter than the other? Stick-on weights.
What battery are you using to get at 1494? I need a full size lipo to be at that... the little 3200mah ones are about 100g lighter
Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kommando98
Uh oh, all this talk about the 6.1FL not being great for Camarillo has me worried! I'm just getting back into the hobby and I'll be running at Camarillo and just picked up the 6.1FL. I thought the 6.1FL was the 6.1D model but with lighter drivetrain components for the stock/17.5 racing...guess I should have researched better.

Aren't they going to be making it more high traction dirt with some special sauce/syrup for one of the upcoming races?
Don't worry, you made a good choice. First off, look up some of the setup sheets on petitrc and you'll see that many of them are running laydown and layback gearboxes even on dirt. Second, the platform is the same so a few minor part swaps will turn it into whatever you want. I'm far from an authority on setups, but mine has served me well so far. If you drop by tomorrow you can take a look, or I'd be happy to send you my setup sheet for a good place to start.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by m3rcfh
What battery are you using to get at 1494? I need a full size lipo to be at that... the little 3200mah ones are about 100g lighter
4600 shorty. After asking the wise people here, I decided there was no reason to run lower capacity batteries because you get more voltage drop during the heat. FWIW that weight was just after building it. I later added ballast, motor fan, transponder, and chassis sheet, and it's at 1554.
m3rcfh likes this.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Has anyone tried this +5 chassis on high grip carpet? I know the 6.1 went to ~3mm shorter chassis than the B6. I am running B64 rear arms to add wheelbase to my 6.1. To me the longer chassis / wheelbase seems more stable, just not sure if +5 is too much....

https://www.amainhobbies.com/revolut...rp0309/p972970
Old 07-11-2019, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

4600 shorty. After asking the wise people here, I decided there was no reason to run lower capacity batteries because you get more voltage drop during the heat. FWIW that weight was just after building it. I later added ballast, motor fan, transponder, and chassis sheet, and it's at 1554.
Is it a full size or LCG? I've seen a lot of people running the LCGs now, not sure if it really changes handling... obviously we want the mass as low as possible, but not sure in real world if it matters
Old 07-11-2019, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

wait .. you run a slipper eliminator on a dirt track? Its either you have amazing throttle control or your rear tires are spinning all over the place.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Don't worry, you made a good choice. First off, look up some of the setup sheets on petitrc and you'll see that many of them are running laydown and layback gearboxes even on dirt. Second, the platform is the same so a few minor part swaps will turn it into whatever you want. I'm far from an authority on setups, but mine has served me well so far. If you drop by tomorrow you can take a look, or I'd be happy to send you my setup sheet for a good place to start.
Sounds good, thanks, I'll try to swing by tomorrow night. I was looking at the Ray Munday setup on petitrc but I know I don't have the standup or flat front arms/tower. I'll look around at some of the other dirt setups for laydown.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds good, thanks, I'll try to swing by tomorrow night. I was looking at the Ray Munday setup on petitrc but I know I don't have the standup or flat front arms/tower. I'll look around at some of the other dirt setups for laydown.
Hi mate, I have a setup for layback on dirt here. Flats help a little but if you have gulls the setup will still transfer ok.

Hope this helps!

Ray
http://site.petitrc.com/setup/associ...ckSetup201906/
Old 07-11-2019, 11:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ray_munday
Hi mate, I have a setup for layback on dirt here. Flats help a little but if you have gulls the setup will still transfer ok.

Hope this helps!

Ray
FWIW the setup I started out with was determined by studying Ray Munday's and Lachlan Donnelly's setups, and Munday's tips on the B6 linked below. Jesse Granat also told me that the flat arms were not really necessary, but I had already ordered them (and the tower) so I used them, but drove his 6.1 a couple of laps (gull arms) and it was indeed fast.

Team Associated B6D - Ray Munday - Outdoor Setup Guide

Kommando, all you need to run layback instead of laydown is the case and the idler. Everything else swaps over.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Phillip F
wait .. you run a slipper eliminator on a dirt track? Its either you have amazing throttle control or your rear tires are spinning all over the place.
They do spin a tad more easily than they did on my 5M with a slipper, but there seems to be traction now that I got some weight in the back. I think the punch is dialed down a little, and I have been working on my trigger-happy finger, but I don't think I'm the only one. Based on comments I've seen in this thread, 17.5 stock is fine for direct drive but don't even try it on mod.

edit: Looking at your profile, if you're the Phil I think you are, we have raced together at HRH a couple of times. I had the Batman B5M, and you beat me both times.

Last edited by BugleBoy10; 07-12-2019 at 01:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.