Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1089Likes

Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-24-2020, 06:21 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Welcome to the B6.1 and B6.1D Wiki page.

Features:

Easy-access gear differential
Differential height adjustment with 0, 1, 2, and 3mm inserts included
New slipper assembly for better weight balance and shock clearance
3-gear Laydown Stealth(r) transmission for lower and forward CG
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite front shock tower with tower guard
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite rear tower, standard height
Heavy-duty V2 rear axle with 67mm bones
V2 springs for a more reactive and nimble feel
Innovative rear arm with molded inserts for ultra-fine lower shock mount adjustment
Molded spur gear guard to help protect body from damage
Front and rear anti-roll bars limit chassis roll for increased corner speed
Battery strap allows the use of optional turnbuckle-based braces
Machined pistons included for better fit and smoother operation
Aluminum rear clamping hex and front axle with laser etching
Rear hubs feature large bearings and the easy-insert system to adjust camber link position and rear axle height
One-piece shock bushing to make assembly easier
Aluminum C and D arm mounts included for large range of anti-squat and toe adjustment
Lightweight aluminum top shaft
Factory Team upgraded ball bearing kit included (now oiled instead of greased for less drag)
JConcepts(r) B6 clear body and wing included
Steel chassis weight
Shortened, 7075 aluminum chassis

Features:

Easy-access ball differential
Differential height adjustment with 0, 1, 2, and 3mm inserts included
New slipper assembly for better weight balance and shock clearance
3-gear Lay Back Stealth(r) transmission for lower and rearward CG
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite front shock tower with tower guard
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite rear tower, long
Heavy-duty V2 rear axle with 67mm bones
V2 springs for a more reactive and nimble feel
Innovative rear arm with molded inserts for ultra-fine lower shock mount adjustment
Molded spur gear guard to help protect body from damage
+1 steering block arms optimize feel on dirt tracks
Battery strap allows the use of optional turnbuckle-based braces
Machined pistons included for better fit and smoother operation
Aluminum rear clamping hex and front axle with laser etching
Rear hubs feature large bearings and the easy-insert system to adjust camber link position and rear axle height
One-piece shock bushing to make assembly easier
Aluminum C and D arm mounts included for large range of anti-squat and toe adjustment
Lightweight aluminum top shaft
Factory Team upgraded ball bearing kit included (now oiled instead of greased for less drag)
JConcepts(r) B6 clear body and wing included
Shortened, 7075 aluminum chassis

Setup Sheets and other documentation
Setup sheets for both cars:
Piston Drills:
Aftermarket Upgrades:

Parts List:

Reference Guides (courtesy of Ray Munday and Roger M.):

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 08:12 PM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RClos17
Ok thanks guys I have the nova lockout and I got pucks but I am gonna put the stock axles back in and the gear diff. Now another question I have a Tekin Spec 3 17.5 or run a Team Scream 17.5 I had the guy at the local shop tell me the team screm motor will crap on the Tekin SPec 3 ? also anythiung else thats a must ? I have titanium everything pretty much what about tires what are the best?for turf
I cannot comment on any of these motors. Tires are subject to your track conditions. Yellow compound Schumacher Darts have been the fastest on most tracks I've been to, but will only keep their pace for two or three runs. My money would be on Jconcepts Nessies, on very low pile Astro maybe the twinpins. Maybe Paul Wynn has some tips for your specific track in the Jconcepts thread.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mes
With a direct drive system, your ball diff will suffer for sure. If you are running 17.5 only and switch to a slipper, you may be able to get some decent runtime out of your ball diff and pucks, but a standard drive train is better suited to such (very) high-grip surfaces. Adding the Schelle Nova would be a good compromise , it is lighter than the AE slipper.
I need help got the schelle nova lockout but the scrws they supply do not screw into the black hub disc they give you am I missing something how the heck do I screw any of those stainless screws they supply into that black hub plate? please help I am stuck with this??
Old 05-28-2019, 05:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Anti roll bars on bumpy Astro

I have used the kit setup on bumpy astro with anti roll bars and went down to v1 red front sprints and v1 white rears. I notice that a lot of astro setup do away with the anti roll bars and have the v2 red springs.

Am I missing something, but is my thinking that using the roll bar to control roll let's you use a lighter springs over a bumpy surface. I can get carpet when there are no bumps you can up the spring to control roll as there are no bumps to consider. I appear to be out of step, what am i missing?
Old 05-29-2019, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pistol123
I have used the kit setup on bumpy astro with anti roll bars and went down to v1 red front sprints and v1 white rears. I notice that a lot of astro setup do away with the anti roll bars and have the v2 red springs.

Am I missing something, but is my thinking that using the roll bar to control roll let's you use a lighter springs over a bumpy surface. I can get carpet when there are no bumps you can up the spring to control roll as there are no bumps to consider. I appear to be out of step, what am i missing?
Most of the UK team, where bumpy astro is the only thing we race on, run both ARBs and V2 springs.

Hope this explanation helps;

Springs control fore/ aft weight transfer and thus the on/off power balance of the car, also bump handling & ultimate tire loading (obviously they effect other areas too but for the sake of simplicity...)
ARBs control the change in roll stiffness as the car rolls, in extreme cases they can limit the maximum roll angle but normally the springs & roll centres have stepped in before this point
Roll centres control the transfer of weight / load across the axle (+ camber gain, whether the raises or lowers ride height in roll and so many other things)
Kick-up / antis-quat control fore-aft weight transfer

How's that for an over simplification!!!!!

How to tune track side for astro...

You will find that you find the "balance" in the car from the springs and will rarely change these once you have found what you like (B64 we typically run RED/BLUE V2 springs, B6.1 we typically run RED/WHITE V2 springs).
Next is Kickup / anti-squat, that is a similar story, once you find what you like you'll not shift much as your driving style dictates how you like the weight to transfer (typically we run 25deg / 1deg on the B6.1, B64 often sees a wider range across drives but typically 8deg/2deg as you want the 4wd to stay flatter). Only time I personally change anti-squat is if the rear end is kicking up over bumps, reducing antis-quat helps there or if I want extra rotation (say on very high grip astro/carpet) where increasing anti-squat helps.

SO ... ARBs and roll centre ....

Normally if we want to shift the balance of the car slightly we tune with one or both of these.

If we want an end of the car to feel like it has slightly more BITE then we will raise roll centre, if we want less BITE or a smoother car dropping the roll centre does that for us.

If we want an end of the car to drop grip off as it is loaded, say to make the front push a fraction from mid to exit on high grip or the rear to rotate more freely through the end of the turn increasing the ARB thickness that end .... opposite to achieve the opposite (typically for B64 we run RED/YELLOW, B6.1 we don't run ARBs other than very occasionally a thin one on the front to calm the car or thick rear on carpet to release the rear and increase steering)

The problem with stiff ARBs is if the track is bumpy (all UK tracks are bumpy ... apart from Southport, you could play pool on Southport) you find the car "follows" the surface which makes it harder to drive and less stable.

Have a look on the CML distribution site for Team Setups .... you'll find a lot from the UK guys there, myself included, based on decades of experience of astro

5tone, stueys and Pistol123 like this.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Exotek Slipper Eliminator

Does anyone know if the stock b6.1 spur will fit the Exotek slipper Eliminator?
Old 05-29-2019, 06:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RogerM
Most of the UK team, where bumpy astro is the only thing we race on, run both ARBs and V2 springs.

Hope this explanation helps;

Springs control fore/ aft weight transfer and thus the on/off power balance of the car, also bump handling & ultimate tire loading (obviously they effect other areas too but for the sake of simplicity...)
ARBs control the change in roll stiffness as the car rolls, in extreme cases they can limit the maximum roll angle but normally the springs & roll centres have stepped in before this point
Roll centres control the transfer of weight / load across the axle (+ camber gain, whether the raises or lowers ride height in roll and so many other things)
Kick-up / antis-quat control fore-aft weight transfer

How's that for an over simplification!!!!!

How to tune track side for astro...

You will find that you find the "balance" in the car from the springs and will rarely change these once you have found what you like (B64 we typically run RED/BLUE V2 springs, B6.1 we typically run RED/WHITE V2 springs).
Next is Kickup / anti-squat, that is a similar story, once you find what you like you'll not shift much as your driving style dictates how you like the weight to transfer (typically we run 25deg / 1deg on the B6.1, B64 often sees a wider range across drives but typically 8deg/2deg as you want the 4wd to stay flatter). Only time I personally change anti-squat is if the rear end is kicking up over bumps, reducing antis-quat helps there or if I want extra rotation (say on very high grip astro/carpet) where increasing anti-squat helps.

SO ... ARBs and roll centre ....

Normally if we want to shift the balance of the car slightly we tune with one or both of these.

If we want an end of the car to feel like it has slightly more BITE then we will raise roll centre, if we want less BITE or a smoother car dropping the roll centre does that for us.

If we want an end of the car to drop grip off as it is loaded, say to make the front push a fraction from mid to exit on high grip or the rear to rotate more freely through the end of the turn increasing the ARB thickness that end .... opposite to achieve the opposite (typically for B64 we run RED/YELLOW, B6.1 we don't run ARBs other than very occasionally a thin one on the front to calm the car or thick rear on carpet to release the rear and increase steering)

The problem with stiff ARBs is if the track is bumpy (all UK tracks are bumpy ... apart from Southport, you could play pool on Southport) you find the car "follows" the surface which makes it harder to drive and less stable.

Have a look on the CML distribution site for Team Setups .... you'll find a lot from the UK guys there, myself included, based on decades of experience of astro
Thanks, I have looked at the CML site and also Oople which is what prompted the question. I see most setups are similar you Neil Cragg's setup with shorter top links (to raise roll centre quicker) and no anti roll bars.
I will keep an eye out for tram lining in future, it is currently set up for grass (no anti roll bars etc) so might try and run it like that initially on astro then compare with the anti roll bars. I did run my mates car that had the same spring but no anti roll bar - as the corner speed slowed it tended to hook the front wheel in and made it a little unpredictable at the apex. Moving the front shocks out at the bottom sorted this but at the expense of making the front even stiffer. Will need to play around and see how light I can go.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dowj28
no
Old 05-29-2019, 08:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

It will not fit. You need an exotek or Kimbrough style spur
Old 05-29-2019, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Di_spencer
It will not fit. You need an exotek or Kimbrough style spur
Does any of you have a preference between the AE vs the Exotek slipper eliminator?
Old 05-29-2019, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Does any of you have a preference between the AE vs the Exotek slipper eliminator?
They have their pros and cons, the exotek can use stock topshaft so you can switch between slipper and lockout easier. The AE uses stock spurs which is nice. The Schelle one is also nice because their slipper and lockout both use the stock topshaft and their slipper is better.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Anybody have this issue? I just switched from dirt to carpet and both me and a buddy have been experiencing the steering block getting a crack across the center . You don’t notice it till you flex the wheel , then the crack opens up. We are both A Main drivers so I don’t think it’s from crashing. FYI . I have never crashed , not once , ever. .lol

Old 05-29-2019, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

It's a known issue and they released a new batch of them with a different part number.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

If you can find a B6 spindle will also fit.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:12 PM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by skrib21
Anybody have this issue? I just switched from dirt to carpet and both me and a buddy have been experiencing the steering block getting a crack across the center . You don’t notice it till you flex the wheel , then the crack opens up. We are both A Main drivers so I don’t think it’s from crashing. FYI . I have never crashed , not once , ever. .lol

I can't tell you how happy I am to see someone else having this issue. I discovered the same on a borrowed B6 last weekend and was starting to doubt my driving skills.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by skrib21

contact customer service. They will take care of you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.