Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread >

Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread

Like Tree794Likes

Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-30-2018, 06:59 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Welcome to the B6.1 and B6.1D Wiki page.

Features:

Easy-access gear differential
Differential height adjustment with 0, 1, 2, and 3mm inserts included
New slipper assembly for better weight balance and shock clearance
3-gear Laydown Stealth(r) transmission for lower and forward CG
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite front shock tower with tower guard
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite rear tower, standard height
Heavy-duty V2 rear axle with 67mm bones
V2 springs for a more reactive and nimble feel
Innovative rear arm with molded inserts for ultra-fine lower shock mount adjustment
Molded spur gear guard to help protect body from damage
Front and rear anti-roll bars limit chassis roll for increased corner speed
Battery strap allows the use of optional turnbuckle-based braces
Machined pistons included for better fit and smoother operation
Aluminum rear clamping hex and front axle with laser etching
Rear hubs feature large bearings and the easy-insert system to adjust camber link position and rear axle height
One-piece shock bushing to make assembly easier
Aluminum C and D arm mounts included for large range of anti-squat and toe adjustment
Lightweight aluminum top shaft
Factory Team upgraded ball bearing kit included (now oiled instead of greased for less drag)
JConcepts(r) B6 clear body and wing included
Steel chassis weight
Shortened, 7075 aluminum chassis

Features:

Easy-access ball differential
Differential height adjustment with 0, 1, 2, and 3mm inserts included
New slipper assembly for better weight balance and shock clearance
3-gear Lay Back Stealth(r) transmission for lower and rearward CG
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite front shock tower with tower guard
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite rear tower, long
Heavy-duty V2 rear axle with 67mm bones
V2 springs for a more reactive and nimble feel
Innovative rear arm with molded inserts for ultra-fine lower shock mount adjustment
Molded spur gear guard to help protect body from damage
+1 steering block arms optimize feel on dirt tracks
Battery strap allows the use of optional turnbuckle-based braces
Machined pistons included for better fit and smoother operation
Aluminum rear clamping hex and front axle with laser etching
Rear hubs feature large bearings and the easy-insert system to adjust camber link position and rear axle height
One-piece shock bushing to make assembly easier
Aluminum C and D arm mounts included for large range of anti-squat and toe adjustment
Lightweight aluminum top shaft
Factory Team upgraded ball bearing kit included (now oiled instead of greased for less drag)
JConcepts(r) B6 clear body and wing included
Shortened, 7075 aluminum chassis

Setup Sheets and other documentation
Setup sheets for both cars:
Piston Drills:
Aftermarket Upgrades:

Parts List:

Reference Guides (courtesy of Ray Munday):

Print Wikipost

Old 05-12-2018, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by awidz View Post
I have a,friend having an issue with associated direct drive on his b6.1 (See pic). As you can see it is ruining the idler gear in the transmission. He thinks it is because it is so small in size compared to standard top shaft size. As you can see it only rides directly on the center of the idler gear. Is this a problem? Or is the a another direct drive system everyone else is using. Any info would be appreciated. This is for 17.5 class he is running in.
I ran the same set of cut gears for 1.5 years with no issues in the b6. However, I never run a lockout. I set my slipper tight but it has a little give for on power lands and will slip if you catch a tube and don't let off the throttle quickly.......Maybe the new gearbox with the shims to raise/lower the diff isn't as forgiving or have quite as precise a mesh as the b5/b6 locked diff design? Is that gear smoked or just covered with grease? Cant tell from pic.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Running in carpet... Been having troubles in 180 deg corners. My outer rear tire lifts up . I have the kit setup except I have 40wt all around, ride height 15.5mm rear and 16mm in front, 7K with 2 gears in transmission, and running a lockout. I run with drag brakes to slow down in corners . Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

The rear oil seems pretty heavy and perhaps restricting the rear end roll. I would try dropping it to 30wt and see if the rear rolls more so it matches the front.
Phillip F likes this.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Question about the front axle height options that come in the kit. It has 4 bushings, two per side. What are the two options for these? I have the thinner on the bottom. Is that the same as +1 or +2 on the setup sheet? It looks like the thinner one is 2mm so I believe it is +2. Just trying to make sure I am correct. To get +1 I would have to use shims or get the Schelle kit correct?

I have the B6 bushing set but it looks like my only option to drop the axle is a 0 on the bottom, it is very thin. I was trying to follow the recommendations for axle height settings for 21-22mm ride height. It is weird because the listing for this bushing set says there is an option for +1 but I do not see how that would be possible.

Last edited by socalcloin; 05-15-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Pistol123 and socalcloin like this.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you that helps.

So the B6.1d kit did (at least mine) come with the 2mm and the 1mm. So I do have the +1 setup with the thinner one on the bottom. Kit setup sheet says the kit setup is +2 but the instructions tell you to put the thinner at the bottom which would be +1 which is why I am confused.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 154 (99%+)

Great post, but this is a bit off:
"They have a massive downward angle, and you’ve effectively raised your roll center a bunch."

If you only angle the upper link like that, it does raise the roll center. However, angling both the upper link and lower (a-arm) as you pictured by compressing the suspension produces a much lower roll center vs the fist picture where the arms are level.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Diff Binding

Has anyone had an issue with their gear diff binding? My transmission spins freely but when I drop the diff in it seems like it's catching or rubbing on something. I've ran it a few times without any issues and pulled it apart after running but cannot figure out what is causing the binding. At first I thought maybe the diff screws were rubbing on the inside of the case but I don't think that's it. I'm starting to wonder if the diff or idler gear are slightly out of shape.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bman7649 View Post
Has anyone had an issue with their gear diff binding? My transmission spins freely but when I drop the diff in it seems like it's catching or rubbing on something. I've ran it a few times without any issues and pulled it apart after running but cannot figure out what is causing the binding. At first I thought maybe the diff screws were rubbing on the inside of the case but I don't think that's it. I'm starting to wonder if the diff or idler gear are slightly out of shape.
Check the Diff height bushings for rough spots/flashing. If they don't sit in the transmission case perfectly, the diff goes in crooked and will bind
Old 05-15-2018, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio View Post
Great post, but this is a bit off:
"They have a massive downward angle, and you’ve effectively raised your roll center a bunch."

If you only angle the upper link like that, it does raise the roll center. However, angling both the upper link and lower (a-arm) as you pictured by compressing the suspension produces a much lower roll center vs the fist picture where the arms are level.
Here you go. I mocked this up quickly in CAD. It's not to scale. The only thing that matters is the relative distances. The top is the low axle height at arms level. The middle is a high axle height at arms level. The bottom is the low axle height but this time with the chassis lowered to the same ride height as the middle.

RogerM, Pistol123 and socalcloin like this.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
Here you go. I mocked this up quickly in CAD. It's not to scale. The only thing that matters is the relative distances. The top is the low axle height at arms level. The middle is a high axle height at arms level. The bottom is the low axle height but this time with the chassis lowered to the same ride height as the middle.

Perfect! Your mockup also displays how camber is altered between them and is a good reminder that changes in ride height affect other settings.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Good correction guys, thanks for the info and the amazing CAD!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 542 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me the number of teeth on the top shaft gear?
Old 05-16-2018, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
Can anyone tell me the number of teeth on the top shaft gear?
Pretty sure it is 20 teeth. The diff has 52 teeth and the transmission ratio is 2.6:1, so 52/2.6=20.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by socalcloin View Post
Thank you that helps.

So the B6.1d kit did (at least mine) come with the 2mm and the 1mm. So I do have the +1 setup with the thinner one on the bottom. Kit setup sheet says the kit setup is +2 but the instructions tell you to put the thinner at the bottom which would be +1 which is why I am confused.
Follow the setup sheet

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service