Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread >

Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread

Like Tree764Likes

Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-30-2018, 06:59 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated B6.1 & B6.1D thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kraig
Welcome to the B6.1 and B6.1D Wiki page.

Features:

Easy-access gear differential
Differential height adjustment with 0, 1, 2, and 3mm inserts included
New slipper assembly for better weight balance and shock clearance
3-gear Laydown Stealth(r) transmission for lower and forward CG
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite front shock tower with tower guard
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite rear tower, standard height
Heavy-duty V2 rear axle with 67mm bones
V2 springs for a more reactive and nimble feel
Innovative rear arm with molded inserts for ultra-fine lower shock mount adjustment
Molded spur gear guard to help protect body from damage
Front and rear anti-roll bars limit chassis roll for increased corner speed
Battery strap allows the use of optional turnbuckle-based braces
Machined pistons included for better fit and smoother operation
Aluminum rear clamping hex and front axle with laser etching
Rear hubs feature large bearings and the easy-insert system to adjust camber link position and rear axle height
One-piece shock bushing to make assembly easier
Aluminum C and D arm mounts included for large range of anti-squat and toe adjustment
Lightweight aluminum top shaft
Factory Team upgraded ball bearing kit included (now oiled instead of greased for less drag)
JConcepts(r) B6 clear body and wing included
Steel chassis weight
Shortened, 7075 aluminum chassis

Features:

Easy-access ball differential
Differential height adjustment with 0, 1, 2, and 3mm inserts included
New slipper assembly for better weight balance and shock clearance
3-gear Lay Back Stealth(r) transmission for lower and rearward CG
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite front shock tower with tower guard
Heavy-duty V2 routed graphite rear tower, long
Heavy-duty V2 rear axle with 67mm bones
V2 springs for a more reactive and nimble feel
Innovative rear arm with molded inserts for ultra-fine lower shock mount adjustment
Molded spur gear guard to help protect body from damage
+1 steering block arms optimize feel on dirt tracks
Battery strap allows the use of optional turnbuckle-based braces
Machined pistons included for better fit and smoother operation
Aluminum rear clamping hex and front axle with laser etching
Rear hubs feature large bearings and the easy-insert system to adjust camber link position and rear axle height
One-piece shock bushing to make assembly easier
Aluminum C and D arm mounts included for large range of anti-squat and toe adjustment
Lightweight aluminum top shaft
Factory Team upgraded ball bearing kit included (now oiled instead of greased for less drag)
JConcepts(r) B6 clear body and wing included
Shortened, 7075 aluminum chassis

Setup Sheets and other documentation
Setup sheets for both cars:
Piston Drills:
Aftermarket Upgrades:

Parts List:

Reference Guides (courtesy of Ray Munday):

Print Wikipost

Old 12-08-2018, 07:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

That’s cool, Mason! I could see that being especially nice for dirtier & dusty outdoor racing, too.

Bassbuster, we still can’t check temps on the windings and rotor, which are the only places it actually matters. If 100% of a fan’s airflow could be forced through the inside of the motor, it would be much more effective.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If the air can be directed straight into the motor can, yes it will cool more efficiently, but I think enclosing the motor on 3 sides will make it harder for it to radiate the heat away. Also it might be harder to get an accurate temp reading around the motor if it cools by the time you take the foam off. But please share your results, there's a lot of factors so it's hard to predict reliably. For cans with minimal venting, a heat sink and exposure to open air is important.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

You should notice that the body performs almost the same function as your box but does allow radiant heat to escape and flow out the back. That trinity motor has no cooling vents whatsoever. With the new V3 versions of both the Team Powers and the Motiv MC3 motors have huge vents now taking advantage of fans mounted on the waterfall brace. There is much more air able to circulate inside the motor. I posted an image of the TP motor. One can see the improvement on cooling.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:10 PM
Tech Lord

I believe the foam shroud is open in the back.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So Iíve had my 6.1d for almost a year know and Iím really liking it. Now that itís winter and most tracks I run at are using slicks I decided to get a lay down tranny instead of the layback thatís currently installed. Currently Iím running Kurt wagners OCRC set up with some spring changes and a few things are different when it comes to steering stuff. Im currently not running a water fall and am wondering if Iíll need one with the lay down. I donít see why I would have to run one but i just wanted to double check. Iím just looking for some more responsive steering. Right now my battery is all the way forward but Iím still looking for more corner speed
Old 12-09-2018, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 153 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SLO county race View Post
So I’ve had my 6.1d for almost a year know and I’m really liking it. Now that it’s winter and most tracks I run at are using slicks I decided to get a lay down tranny instead of the layback that’s currently installed. Currently I’m running Kurt wagners OCRC set up with some spring changes and a few things are different when it comes to steering stuff. Im currently not running a water fall and am wondering if I’ll need one with the lay down. I don’t see why I would have to run one but i just wanted to double check. I’m just looking for some more responsive steering. Right now my battery is all the way forward but I’m still looking for more corner speed
try different caster settings. if your running that high of grip that slicks would work, you might be able to carry more corner speed with a change in caster. I'd also mess with rear hub spacing. I went back and forth with a Team XRAY guy about caster, I was running 23 degrees on carpet and even with my radio turned down to 75% D/R I had over steer and could not get the car fast in corners, I know kit setup on AE cars is 30 degrees total (kickup from chassis + 5 degree caster insert), So I tried 26 and 29 degrees on the XRAY and 26 was the sweet spot, tons of on-power steering through high speed sweepers, but no discernible change in steering feel. I also went with a longer wheelbase to gain a bit more rear grip. Don't know why, but that combo worked great (need to read up on that one). Going to try the same thing with my B6.1, going from 30 to 25 degrees of caster and moving the hubs all the way back.
SLO county race and Phillip F like this.

Last edited by jpcopeland1; 12-09-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
try different caster settings. if your running that high of grip that slicks would work, you might be able to carry more corner speed with a change in caster. I'd also mess with rear hub spacing. I went back and forth with a Team XRAY guy about caster, I was running 23 degrees on carpet and even with my radio turned down to 75% D/R I had over steer and could not get the car fast in corners, I know kit setup on AE cars is 30 degrees total (kickup from chassis + 5 degree caster insert), So I tried 26 and 29 degrees on the XRAY and 26 was the sweet spot, tons of on-power steering through high speed sweepers, but no discernible change in steering feel. I also went with a longer wheelbase to gain a bit more rear grip. Don't know why, but that combo worked great (need to read up on that one). Going to try the same thing with my B6.1, going from 30 to 25 degrees of caster and moving the hubs all the way back.
let us know how you do it in the B6.1 and what are the results. I also race in carpet.
jpcopeland1 likes this.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 153 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phillip F View Post
let us know how you do it in the B6.1 and what are the results. I also race in carpet.
will do. I will be running at pdx rc tomorrow with both buggies. Track is smaller then SCVRC, but uses same carpet so conclusions should translate.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

So the gear diff will not fit in the layback? Was looking to give my inlaws some part numbers to convert my 6.1d, but still want to run dirt once a week. Seems like seems like switching 1 car from dirt to carpet twice a week is way more of a chore than i had anticipated.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe View Post
So the gear diff will not fit in the layback? Was looking to give my inlaws some part numbers to convert my 6.1d, but still want to run dirt once a week. Seems like seems like switching 1 car from dirt to carpet twice a week is way more of a chore than i had anticipated.
It fit when I tried it.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by blueflagger View Post
It fit when I tried it.
oh really, i read a review at Amain that siad it didnt fit the layback.
Thanks, can you post the working part number of the diff for verification?

can anyone else help verify, or point me in the right direction, really just looking to plug ia gear diff into into my 6.1d to run carpet once a week, for about 8 races, otherwise we race dirt year round, will still be running dirt weekly as well so im hoping to just make a quick swap a couple times a week.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:07 PM
Tech Lord

Gear diff should drop right in to the B6.1D transmission. Ball and gear diff are directly interchangeable in the laydown gearbox and there shouldn't be any functional difference.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Gear diff should drop right in to the B6.1D transmission. Ball and gear diff are directly interchangeable in the laydown gearbox and there shouldn't be any functional difference.
Right on thanks.

The review i read said the gear diff was to wide for the layback gearbox, where in lies all my confusion.

The review i read was:
Does not fit in B6.1D 'Lay-back' transmission! I tried with my new B6.1D and this diff IS TOO WIDE to fit in the Lay-back transmission case. The 'Lay-down' transmission case that it is designed for must be substantially wider than the Lay-back transmission that comes with this kit. Don't waste your money. I am guessing that no one tested the gear diff in the Lay-back transmission before. I expected more from Associated.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe View Post

Right on thanks.

The review i read said the gear diff was to wide for the layback gearbox, where in lies all my confusion.

The review i read was:

Fits perfectly, no issues.
thirtydaZe likes this.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Just put together a 6.1D this weekend with the AE gear diff and had no issues.
thirtydaZe likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service