13.5 Wheeler question >

13.5 Wheeler question

Like Tree20Likes

13.5 Wheeler question

Old 02-05-2018, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default 13.5 Wheeler question

So Im very drawn to the wheeler class. It seems to be gaining popularity every week. I really think I want to get in on the action. Wondering a few things.

I know i can't afford any of the newest kits even used (b64 or eb410) so im wondering about some older models. Are any of the older chassis still competetive? Hb? B44? Also what wheeler is more maintenance friendly. I don't mind working on a vehicle but i definitely enjoy it more if its easy to work on
Old 02-05-2018, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hot Boddies diffs are not maintenance friendly.. B44 arms are pretty fragile.. For an older kit I would look into a Losi 22-4, XRAY they can easily be updated to later vehicles with some hop-ups..
symmetricon and billdelong like this.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BaggedRanger View Post
Hot Boddies diffs are not maintenance friendly.. B44 arms are pretty fragile.. For an older kit I would look into a Losi 22-4, XRAY they can easily be updated to later vehicles with some hop-ups..
Yeah, a XB4 16 should be easy to find and the car as changed very little since then, and it's great with a 13.5t motor, just add the composite ring and pinion gears and you'll be good to go.
billdelong likes this.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

TLR 22-4 is the perfect older car to run. It shares all the same suspension parts as the new version. Really only difference between the 1.0 and 2.0 are the diffs.(2.0 has gear diffs) You should be able to find one pretty cheap. Some people would say it is not the easiest car to maintain. I don't have an issue with it me and my son both race 22-4 2.0 and I have gotten pretty good at working on them.
HuffdawgMotors likes this.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WdotDynamite View Post
So Im very drawn to the wheeler class. It seems to be gaining popularity every week. I really think I want to get in on the action. Wondering a few things.

I know i can't afford any of the newest kits even used (b64 or eb410) so im wondering about some older models. Are any of the older chassis still competetive? Hb? B44? Also what wheeler is more maintenance friendly. I don't mind working on a vehicle but i definitely enjoy it more if its easy to work on
I have both 44.3 & D413. 44.3 biggest challenge is the front dog bones that get pop out, and you may need to limit the front shocks travel and thus limited the set up for the front end! D413 i have the exotek chassis option; D413 is more nimble and more predictive than my 44.3. On the other hand, my 44.3 is more stable but lands a lot harder then my d413.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

I never even thought about the xray....ill have to look into those. I currently just finished a complete overhaul of my scte. Took my beat 1.0 and basically replaced everything with new parts onto a 2.0 chassis.....but im worried it was all for nothing being it seems i hardly see any sct's at the track and most that i do see are 2wd.

Im considering trying to see if i can find someone to trade a rtr wheeler for my rtr truck.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

I would stick to 2wd, like a B6. 4wd is more expense and more maint. I would not do 4wd unless you get one of the new cars. The b64 and Eb410 are great cars. The older Associated and Losi just don't hold up or have belts that are a pain. I don't know about other brands. Just my two cents.
WdotDynamite likes this.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Without sounding like ruining someone’s parade. If the racing budget is tight....don’t go 4wd racing anything. Tires are twice as important in 4wd and wear quicker than 2wd. More than twice the maintenance because the drivetrain of a 4wd. Plus they are a little more fragile, as a general rule, than a 2wd.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I never even thought about the xray....ill have to look into those. I currently just finished a complete overhaul of my scte. Took my beat 1.0 and basically replaced everything with new parts onto a 2.0 chassis.....but im worried it was all for nothing being it seems i hardly see any sct's at the track and most that i do see are 2wd.

Im considering trying to see if i can find someone to trade a rtr wheeler for my rtr truck.
I personally donít recommend an X-ray if youíre on a budget. I ran them the last 3 years, and imo itís the best car on the market, even an older one. But......parts prices will make your eyes water. $36 for a pair of outdrives. Thatís crazy. But they are durable. So keep the parts cost in mind. If you get one look it over very carefully for worn parts.
tc5 man and billdelong like this.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PorTX View Post
Without sounding like ruining someoneís parade. If the racing budget is tight....donít go 4wd racing anything. Tires are twice as important in 4wd and wear quicker than 2wd. More than twice the maintenance because the drivetrain of a 4wd. Plus they are a little more fragile, as a general rule, than a 2wd.
I definitely understand this point as well. I always ran a 2wd truck. My uncle bought me the 4wd so i gave my brother in law my 2wd. I really enjoy the scte but again it seems like the class is dead.

I do appreciate all the different opinions. My wheels are definitely turning.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Xray Xb4 '16. The new car is no better.

Don't buy sight unseen. Check the out drives and CVD's. Generally, Xrays get run into the ground, and when you have $250 in worn out components, buy a new one. So beware a clapped out Xray. I usually keep the old one for spare parts as diffs and such won't get updated for many years sometimes. And sometimes, the old towers and such were better anyways.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Tech Adept

Lol beware of the clapped out xray. Lol. Well everyone has given me some good advice. If i am going to make this jump i think i should pursue a trade. I have my doubts on being able to turn a scte into a wheeler. But im a pessimist lol
Old 02-05-2018, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Lol beware of the clapped out xray. Lol. Well everyone has given me some good advice. If i am going to make this jump i think i should pursue a trade. I have my doubts on being able to turn a scte into a wheeler. But im a pessimist lol
I would look into a used wheeler for sure. And I'd also suggest a newer buggy as the updated cars are all much easier to work on, if maintenance is the big deal breaker for you. The b44 and the d413 are less than friendly to work on (however the d413 is made easier with the Exotek split diff mount). However the d413 is probably the best one though when it comes to price/durability/performance. Everyone can agree the d413 is a tank and while it's not the most friendly to work on, you can get a used roller for dirt cheap. And from what i've seen it is an extremely competitive car.
Scott R likes this.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:10 PM
Tech Adept

Im very confident I can maintain whatever i get. I just would prefer something that i don't have to take completely apart to service
Old 02-05-2018, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Im very confident I can maintain whatever i get. I just would prefer something that i don't have to take completely apart to service
Then donít get a 22-4

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.