Driving Help

Old 02-04-2018, 02:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Red face Driving Help

Hi all, I'm not only new to RC driving but an old guy too. I bought into the short course trucks after my son and grandson got started in it just so I could hangout with them doing what they like to do.
I'm terrible at the track. Sorry to all of you I have caused to crash or driven over.
I discovered that one of my problems stems from a physical handicap I have which is called benign essential tremor. Meaning I have uncontrollable shaking of my hands and arms. Its hard for me to make a good corner when my hands and fingers are shaking so bad.
I don't want to give up because I really have fun doing it. I have tried standing in different positions, leaning on the rail but nothing has really helped. So with this in mind can anyone offer any driving tips for a new guy with a super fast traxxas slash truck?
I did buy some tires made for clay tracks which I think helped. I tried setting my speed to 50% but then I don't have enough power to make the jumps. Corners are really difficult for me.
thanks,
BadBrad
Old 02-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Brad, that is really great that you are taking the time to enjoy the hobby with your grand son. Those are memories that he will cherish. On to the issue, some radios have an adjustable “dead zone” that would make it a bit less sensitive to initial steering inputs. Another possibility is to move the steering servo linkage closer to the center of the servo horn. That would decrease the leverage that the Servo has on the steering. This would slow the responsiveness of the steering. Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

brad you will need to adjust your steering and throttle exponential.. if your radio gear has that..my dad suffers same medical condition and he wont get the brain stimulator to stop this.lowering the rod on servo arm will make your car turn a greater radius no more tight turns..

Last edited by the rc guy; 02-04-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:10 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If some of your condition stems from being on your feet, have you tried sitting when you drive?

Try it at home, and if it seems to help, maybe see about figuring out a chair you could bring up on the drivers stand.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I'll 2nd what RC Guy is suggesting. The more advanced radios have settings that can tone down the steering response or smooth it out and allows you to get away with some more jittery movements. I don't really know much about the settings and how to use them but it's definitely an option if you can't find a way to do it simply with vehicle setup its a costly option though and would require some time and effort to set up on the remote.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

thanks ebb
Old 02-04-2018, 04:41 PM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

would help , and helps majority of drivers is to tame down the super fast car. You have to start slow. You can do super fast but the learning curve seems to be longer.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

I do not know which Slash you have the XL5 brushed or the VXL brushless. It sounds like your setting it in one of the training modes those are there for beginners. If you want to reduce your speed put it back to 100% or in other words out of training mode. Then heres a couple of things you could do to reduce your speed.

1 Use a lower tooth pinion (better acceleration lower top speed) (loosen the slipper up a little to slow down the intial acceleration if its to much)
2 Reduce the voltage of the battery if your using a lipo or the 8.4v nimh then try to use a 7.2v nimh.

The stock TQ transmitter I believe only has steering trim adjustment. So like others have said if you really want to fine tune your driving than you should get a radio with EPA (Dual Rate , Expo) adjustments for steering and throttle.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

keep on learning Brad, it's awesome to get better at something ! i wish i had a grandpa like you ! mine prefered a TV + a warm beer !
Old 02-05-2018, 05:16 AM
JsK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BadBrad View Post
Hi all, I'm not only new to RC driving but an old guy too. I bought into the short course trucks after my son and grandson got started in it just so I could hangout with them doing what they like to do.
I'm terrible at the track. Sorry to all of you I have caused to crash or driven over.
I discovered that one of my problems stems from a physical handicap I have which is called benign essential tremor. Meaning I have uncontrollable shaking of my hands and arms. Its hard for me to make a good corner when my hands and fingers are shaking so bad.
I don't want to give up because I really have fun doing it. I have tried standing in different positions, leaning on the rail but nothing has really helped. So with this in mind can anyone offer any driving tips for a new guy with a super fast traxxas slash truck?
I did buy some tires made for clay tracks which I think helped. I tried setting my speed to 50% but then I don't have enough power to make the jumps. Corners are really difficult for me.
thanks,
BadBrad
Some of the shaking is just plain old nerves and that only gets better with time, but there are a few other things you can do.

No caffine on race day at all.
Get a solid nights sleep.
Deep breathing exercises on the stand before a run.
Chew gum.

Do you take any hypertension medications? I take mine in the morning before racing instead of at night.

In the end though a lot of it is just a big case of nerves, it goes away with time to a certain point. You would actually be suprises how many peoples hands shake if you watched them. You just have concentrate and push through.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

Nobody has said this yet but some radios have a lanyard tether that you can use to help hold the radio in a more comfortable position. Some radios even give you the option of using a larger wheel on the remote. Combine that with deadband settings, Steering Exponential, and Steering end points I think you would be able to smooth out the turning on your car.