Like Tree15Likes

Traxxas "Magnum" Transmission the Snake Eyes Racing Way

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slick2500
As long as it works who gives af right?
If he can't handle critical feedback then he shouldn't be posting on the internet.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
If he can't handle critical feedback then he shouldn't be posting on the internet.
It's she by the way. That shows how much you actually read the words on the screen. Seems to be something going around these days. That and close mindedness. Oh, I forgot, lack of manners too.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

I put this rpm gearbox on my race slash 3 years ago no atf .gear diff with Zmax only on internal gears i have 3+ years of racing 2x a week my gears don't slame into anything the pins hold them in place..
Old 01-29-2018, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

I did all this work for a few reasons.

#1: I have done this for 15 some odd years with my Stampede and Rustler trucks. Doing it kept the motor from moving and melting the mount in the days before aftermarket case where hanging up in the hobby shop. I would have loved that trust me! I have gotten to a point that it is the only way I run them. It's normal to me.

#2 I do not like the way the stock or RPM motor mount adjusts. I raced Losi's and found I like the two long slot adjusters over the one hole one slot of the stock and RPM types.

#3 The full motor plate of the Losi and Blue Eagle parts give strength in the event of a hard hit coming off a jump or if slid backwards into a wall or other hard object.

#4 Going off number 3. When coming off a jump I would trouble with the plastic flexing and eating spur gears. All this fixed that for good.

#5 By doing all this it has allowed me to move the center line of the motor closer to that of the truck. A Losi XX "cr" thing. This helps keep the truck from twisting there for it runs and flys truer.

#6 The ATF. I come from a background of full size cars as well. You don't run them dry, why would I run this dry. The scale loads are the same or higher.

Now why post this?
Well little old school knowledge can be a good thing. Most of us do learn from what we read or see. You do have to read it however to understand it. That means all of it.
I ask, how do you think I the cool parts list in the posts bashing me come to be? They just showed like Santa made them just for you. I bet not. Someone like me had to be crazy enough to make and try something different. Unless they steal it from someone just trying help others have more fun with there toys and make money. It's sad that someone with an open-mind to new things, even if this old for me, has to explain themselves to so many close-minded people in the world.

I started this in High School (class of '01) The last update was 2010 sometime when I added my 1:1 cars. So all old stuff.
Snake Eyes Racing

So, your welcome.

Please, if you want this to go away as "useless" just don't post a replay. Simple.
Attached Thumbnails Traxxas "Magnum" Transmission the Snake Eyes Racing Way-9-21024.jpg   Traxxas "Magnum" Transmission the Snake Eyes Racing Way-shock_tower.jpg  
Old 01-29-2018, 02:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SocalSnakeEyes
I did all this work for a few reasons.

#1: I have done this for 15 some odd years with my Stampede and Rustler trucks. Doing it kept the motor from moving and melting the mount in the days before aftermarket case where hanging up in the hobby shop. I would have loved that trust me! I have gotten to a point that it is the only way I run them. It's normal to me.

#2 I do not like the way the stock or RPM motor mount adjusts. I raced Losi's and found I like the two long slot adjusters over the one hole one slot of the stock and RPM types.

#3 The full motor plate of the Losi and Blue Eagle parts give strength in the event of a hard hit coming off a jump or if slid backwards into a wall or other hard object.

#4 Going off number 3. When coming off a jump I would trouble with the plastic flexing and eating spur gears. All this fixed that for good.

#5 By doing all this it has allowed me to move the center line of the motor closer to that of the truck. A Losi XX "cr" thing. This helps keep the truck from twisting there for it runs and flys truer.

#6 The ATF. I come from a background of full size cars as well. You don't run them dry, why would I run this dry. The scale loads are the same or higher.

Now why post this?
Well little old school knowledge can be a good thing. Most of us do learn from what we read or see. You do have to read it however to understand it. That means all of it.
I ask, how do you think I the cool parts list in the posts bashing me come to be? They just showed like Santa made them just for you. I bet not. Someone like me had to be crazy enough to make and try something different. Unless they steal it from someone just trying help others have more fun with there toys and make money. It's sad that someone with an open-mind to new things, even if this old for me, has to explain themselves to so many close-minded people in the world.

I started this in High School (class of '01) The last update was 2010 sometime when I added my 1:1 cars. So all old stuff.
Snake Eyes Racing

So, your welcome.

Please, if you want this to go away as "useless" just don't post a replay. Simple.
Hey, love the ElCo. Mine's been gone for 29 years so I could afford an engagement ring. No regrets, but I still miss it. I wonder if there's any '74 Laguna noses left on the planet? That would make it look a lot sportier. Not sure that I would have gone to the trouble of doing the mods you did on the RPM trans, but hey, this is all supposed to be fun, right? If this ever quits being fun, I better be getting paid to "crew chief" or go back to model railroading and hot rodding for hobbies.
SocalSnakeEyes likes this.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It's she by the way. That shows how much you actually read the words on the screen. Seems to be something going around these days. That and close mindedness. Oh, I forgot, lack of manners too.
Regardless of gender, the point remains. At the first hint of criticism you dropped the "old school rc" gatekeeping. Your new update explains your reasoning pretty well. Next time lead off with that instead of attacking the person criticizing you and I guarantee things will go much smoother.
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bubbaslash
Hey, love the ElCo. Mine's been gone for 29 years so I could afford an engagement ring. No regrets, but I still miss it. I wonder if there's any '74 Laguna noses left on the planet? That would make it look a lot sportier. Not sure that I would have gone to the trouble of doing the mods you did on the RPM trans, but hey, this is all supposed to be fun, right? If this ever quits being fun, I better be getting paid to "crew chief" or go back to model railroading and hot rodding for hobbies.
Thank you. A Laguna nose is a hard part to find in good shape and would make it look nicer. Trouble is it is plastic. As hard as I am on that truck I would brake it. Now on my 2 door I would not mind a '73 style nose for it. It would take a lot of wight off the front end and can be had, for the most part, in a one piece fiberglass part.
The people to talk about these are here. Free forum : G3 GM
Best wishes from '74 Chick.
Attached Thumbnails Traxxas "Magnum" Transmission the Snake Eyes Racing Way-note-4-046-2-.jpg   Traxxas "Magnum" Transmission the Snake Eyes Racing Way-note-4-1089.jpg  
Old 01-29-2018, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Regardless of gender, the point remains. At the first hint of criticism you dropped the "old school rc" gatekeeping. Your new update explains your reasoning pretty well. Next time lead off with that instead of attacking the person criticizing you and I guarantee things will go much smoother.
It is true I could have done a better job of explaining why I did it. It was late and I wanted to get it up quick. My fault. And in the future I will let criticisms go. It does show I read everything in case there it something I can learn from them.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Thank you. A Laguna nose is a hard part to find in good shape and would make it look nicer. Trouble is it is plastic. As hard as I am on that truck I would brake it. Now on my 2 door I would not mind a '73 style nose for it. It would take a lot of wight off the front end and can be had, for the most part, in a one piece fiberglass part.
The people to talk about these are here. Free forum : G3 GM
Best wishes from '74 Chick.
Didn't know the '73 nose was available aftermarket. Looks good. But I remember when a neighbor bought a new Laguna, and I thought how cool it looked. Then Benny Parsons ran one in NASCAR, so I'm a little nostalgic. My late cousin's daughter started an ElCo project a couple years ago. I can't wait to see it finished. My uncle built her a 355 but held back on his skills so she wouldn't get in too much trouble with it. The last small block her dad built went 10.83 in an all-steel street Nova with no power adders, and a set of GM Vortec heads that my uncle ported. 1:1 is my background, but this RC stuff is fun too
Old 01-29-2018, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bubbaslash
Didn't know the '73 nose was available aftermarket. Looks good. But I remember when a neighbor bought a new Laguna, and I thought how cool it looked. Then Benny Parsons ran one in NASCAR, so I'm a little nostalgic. My late cousin's daughter started an ElCo project a couple years ago. I can't wait to see it finished. My uncle built her a 355 but held back on his skills so she wouldn't get in too much trouble with it. The last small block her dad built went 10.83 in an all-steel street Nova with no power adders, and a set of GM Vortec heads that my uncle ported. 1:1 is my background, but this RC stuff is fun too
Yes you can: 73- Chevelle
The whole car if you want actually.

It for the best he held back some on her engine. Though big, they do get tail happy. I slid mine into a curb after getting cut off. It's waiting on me to fix the axle so I drive her. When that car is done I would love to see pictures.

Little know NASCAR fact 1974 was the last year for the big blocks. Some teams run a 427 over the 350 in these last years. 454s seem to be only at drags.

In '73 Baldwin-Motion did a Phase III Chevelle with a 427. A as in one. The EPA killed after that by telling them they would fine them $1000 for every smog part they took off. Also the last year for SS on a Chevelle or Malibu.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

Wow, didn't know Motion Performance did anything past '72. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by bubbaslash; 01-30-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:40 AM
Tech Champion

I want to agree, but I can't. Difficulty handling criticism can be a sign of immaturity, but it can also be a sign of open-mindedness. It's a lot harder to adjust your worldview to account for unpleasant truths when you reflexively block-out anything you don't want to know, but it also means criticism, judgements, and insults hit a lot harder. It's a necessary compromise, and it's why you'll probably never encounter a "thick-skinned" scientist or engineer who's actually good at their job.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Tech Champion

I don't think anyone was disputing the benefit of a metal motor plate, just the benefit of replacing the RPM motor plate with a different brand that required custom-fitting.

Personal preference, I guess. I prefer pivot-adjustment motor mounts instead of slide-adjustment motor mounts, because I find them easier to make fine adjustments. Anyway, thanks for explaining why you replaced the stock RPM motor plate.

The left-to-right weight imbalance from having the motor sticking out a bit to one side should be insignificant compared to the overall weight of the vehicle. If it needed to be corrected an easier way to do it would be to use a bit of stick-on ballast weight. But I suppose it's an academic point now that you've modified the gearbox.

The scale loads are higher, but the metallurgical properties of the gears don't care about scale loads, only absolute loads. The absolute loads on the gear teeth are miniscule compared to what the gears in a real car have to deal with. Anyway, ATF is still a sub-optimal lubricant choice for RC gearboxes, as I explained in a previous post. A bit of grease will do the job just as effectively with no concern about leakage.

I started this in High School (class of '01) The last update was 2010 sometime when I added my 1:1 cars. So all old stuff. Snake Eyes Racing
High school class of 2001? You're younger than me? I didn't expect that.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
I want to agree, but I can't. Difficulty handling criticism can be a sign of immaturity, but it can also be a sign of open-mindedness. It's a lot harder to adjust your worldview to account for unpleasant truths when you reflexively block-out anything you don't want to know, but it also means criticism, judgements, and insults hit a lot harder. It's a necessary compromise, and it's why you'll probably never encounter a "thick-skinned" scientist or engineer who's actually good at their job.
I will be he first one to say I'm immature. I mean a 35yr old Mother of two that plays with RC cars and has 3 Street rods to be. Who's favorite Soccer Mom car is a wagon with V8 that seats for 8 (9 After a small mod) so I got two. Once my brothers where fighting in the back. With the rear facing seats I hit the gas and brake to knock there heads together. Problem solved, Dads laughing and, brothers will never fight in my car anymore!
I'm not immature. I'm responsible when I have to be but that's it. It does make it hard to deal with me. I have learned that one those that you ether love or love to hate. No middle ground. Dealing with real engineers is even worst then dealing with me. A fair amount of real friends are retired Boeing. Engineers and builders. Best of luck changing there minds on something. I can't even get them to tell me what kind of train they drive.
Attached Thumbnails Traxxas "Magnum" Transmission the Snake Eyes Racing Way-note-4-232.jpg  
Old 01-30-2018, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Annyywaay, None of that has anything to do with RC cars. That is why we are here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.