Search
Like Tree31Likes

did short course die

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 11:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy
45 + racers every week in SCT half n half split in 2wd n 4x4.. going strong no eb buggy blow outs here..
Originally Posted by billdelong
Would love to see where these results are posted online, any chance this track is on LiveRC or some other web based service?
crickets...
Old 01-21-2018, 01:49 PM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a1
short course will never die.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

short course every week at my local track.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YANMAN
SC has always been a basher/beginner class in my eyes. 4wd SC is a bumper car class that I can’t stand and the 2wd slash class is an easy way to get new people to the track, learn to drive, and then step up to the real racing classes. When SC started to get as expensive as, say running ebuggy, why not just run ebuggy?
Obviously you have never raced with guys that can actually drive short courses and race them cleanly. The most fun I’ve ever had racing was a close, clean short course class
billdelong and bubbaslash like this.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losicorey
Obviously you have never raced with guys that can actually drive short courses and race them cleanly. The most fun I’ve ever had racing was a close, clean short course class
My son has raced against Cav. Ya, he got smoked, but don't write it off as a "novice" class. Marshal a D main sometime in 1/8 buggy LOL
Chris Furman and Big_Show like this.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Doing good at our local track still.. actually growing even...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNB3...vBMGM&index=15
Old 01-23-2018, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by darksiede
Doing good at our local track still.. actually growing even...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNB3...vBMGM&index=15
Holy cow that first lap was brutal.
Tbuggy likes this.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave_S
I wish 1/8 short course racing was a thing. 1/8 SCT is a lot more fun to run imo.
Which 1/8th SCTs are still manufactured? 1/8th scale is always more cost prohibitive for people especially the expensive batteries.

I wish AE still made their 1/8th SC truck.

Originally Posted by YANMAN
SC has always been a basher/beginner class in my eyes. 4wd SC is a bumper car class that I can’t stand and the 2wd slash class is an easy way to get new people to the track, learn to drive, and then step up to the real racing classes. When SC started to get as expensive as, say running ebuggy, why not just run ebuggy?
That's the elitist attitude that causes people to hate racers and turn away from racing. RC is supposed to be about fun, remember?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My local track is not a huge club (single main for all classes), but we generally have more 4wd SCT than 1/8 Truggy.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Short course died at my local track(s). Used to be 4-6 heats, now 1-2 and only a few cars in each heat.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by losicorey
Tim races at my club, sorta... he's an old school guy who took a break from RC, but hasn't really seen the local talent grow lately, I think the current 4WD SCT drivers are significantly cleaner than the 2WD buggy sportsman drivers. I think we'll have enough to make a class this weekend and hopefully Tim will show up, maybe run his ST in with us and can can give us an update with his opinion afterwards?

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
That's the elitist attitude that causes people to hate racers and turn away from racing. RC is supposed to be about fun, remember?
+1
Old 01-23-2018, 09:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

As someone mentioned above, SC died also becauso it was getting serious.
Have 2 different videos of our track, long ago.
I am driving the black car, 2nd place behind the red/white one.
My car was borrowed from a friend, the car itself was the car from his son.
I drove it, how I got it. No oil, No setup, weak motor.
The winning car is a Sc5m with carbon chassis, 7.5t motor, usw. More than triple the price of this Losi SCTE I drove.
Andd after we changed to Astro, the difference was so much, that everyone skipped SC, instead of spending a fortune for a new SC.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=shZipYuKSFE
Old 01-23-2018, 09:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Damn, looks like it was a very nice track. Curse the plague that is astro/carpet!

Here's some SCT stuff from my local track.

This is a sort of "intro" type video I made while testing out a video editing software, featuring "on-car" and drive by views. I took the footage in late September just before the track was effectively closed down 'til spring due to weather.
https://youtu.be/1WgRAT8rKz0

And this is from the last race (national SC series) held there in June, driver stand view:
https://youtu.be/7fsOUKCGBCk

It's a nice track and only ~4km or so from me, but so few people drive there anymore. Sort of a hobby crisis going on locally. The track surface hadn't been taken care of since the race, so by September when I was making that video it was a quite bumpy ride indeed. I didn't take part in that June race because I was just sort of restarting the hobby, had some car issues plus didn't have race-legal tires... nor the money for them or the race fee for that matter at the time And sadly it currently seems unlikely there will be a national race on our track this coming summer - and club races in any class are a thing long past.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Man, this is a huge track for 1/10th!
More suited for 1/8, nor?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3iSjlPzU-zA

This was recorded when SC 2wd was at its summit.
We had often 12 cars at our Clubrace then.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

You mean my track huge? It a nice size, yeah, though not really bigger than yours! It was designed as a 1/8 track primarily. 1/10 buggy races haven't been organized on it for some years at least (not sure when they stopped exactly) for that reason, only 1/8 buggy and 1/10 SCT races. My understanding is that when they still held 1/10 buggy races, the shorter layout was used - so instead of the full long semi-straight at the rear, you turned left before the jump, cutting the length of the lap nearly in half.

I do drive my B5M there though, mostly driving the longer lap as well. The biggest problem last summer was the bad condition of the track surface later in the summer. The extreme bumpiness in some places was a lot harder to handle for the buggy than a SCT. The jumps etc were still fine.

Here's actually a video with B5M on-car camera doing the shorter lap. It was only a week after the SCT race, but you can see it's still rather bumpy for it. But, that's offroad! I was only starting to get consistent at the time, so I wasn't even driving from the stand for self-marshaling purposes. I think this video had my record length of time driven without marshaling at the time. Oh and for driving ease it didn't help that only much later I realized I had way too low ride height and for that matter realizing all the oil had leaked out of the diff like 2,5 years ago already
https://youtu.be/DJdRrll3OZs
And while at it here's my SC10RS on-car view (camera had reset its date, doh):
https://youtu.be/VYnwyA77hB8

It would appear I erred into a buying a 1:8 e-buggy just today, so I guess I'll have yet another car to tear around the track all by myself with next summer

Ooh and just because there's not enough text and video spam yet, if our outdoor track is decent size, back when we still had an indoor track (I want it baaack!) it was rather the opposite. This track was where I first started driving with my B5M, SC10RS and Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo, with mod motors and all that for superior ease of driving
https://youtu.be/rYWStnhYvKU
And on-car with the B5M. This was 2 weeks after assembling the car and so probably like maybe third time driving? And it shows!
https://youtu.be/mCSlAOXOcXs

When I got the SC10RS maybe a month later, it was even harder (especially until I upgraded the wheels)! Sadly no video of driving that there - someone else did take some from a club race but the link to it has been lost to the ages. I'll tell ya though, the stock SC10RS wheels on that track gave a proper movie feel as a sound effect, sounded hilarious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.