Like Tree12Likes

running 4wd and 2wd

Old 01-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default running 4wd and 2wd

guys or gals that are running 2wd buggy and 4wd buggy's ever run both at once?
I usually run 2wd stocky 17.5 but decided to run both at the track (2 different classes-racing) and was having little trouble after each heat getting the feel again.

would of been nice to get few laps in before race but he pushes it along pretty quick.

Think I might just run one a night and not try to do that again.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

I do that with SCTs. Gives more driving time for the day, which is what I like. Not so fun waiting ages between heats driving a single class. Admittedly it takes a bit of adjustment going back and forth, but the more you do it, the less it'll faze you. In our races we do have time for a few laps of warmup before each heat though, so it helps.
JPAPA26 likes this.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I never ran two classes until I raced a few weeks back. I got tired of sitting between heats and mains. Now with two classes and marshaling twice, it keeps you busy all night!
JPAPA26 likes this.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JPAPA26 View Post
guys or gals that are running 2wd buggy and 4wd buggy's ever run both at once?
I usually run 2wd stocky 17.5 but decided to run both at the track (2 different classes-racing) and was having little trouble after each heat getting the feel again.

would of been nice to get few laps in before race but he pushes it along pretty quick.

Think I might just run one a night and not try to do that again.
that's normal... I got used to it after a month.

I prefer running 4wd first then 2wd though.
JPAPA26 likes this.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:26 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

run 3 classes here, as well as keeping the kids running the 3 they would be in can be tough. you have to be on your game then.

In general when I got to my 2wd vehicle I have to get used to throwing it a bit more for steering than my 4wd. Gonna work some more on setup to get it closer.
JPAPA26 likes this.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking 2 Classes

I Normally run 2 classes, 2&4wd sct and after a month or so and learning both trucks it was not to bad, and yes it make the race days a little better running more classes and not sitting around waiting. This year I will be running Ebuggy and 4wd sct, should be fun due to both having similar driving characteristics an all. I enjoy being competitive but at the end of the day is all about fun so enjoy. Just my 2cents
JPAPA26 likes this.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:30 PM
Tech Adept

good insight guys. yeah I have to marshal twice too running 2 class he make me go out there after each race. made the rookie mistake 2nd time racing rushing around and hooked a esc up backwards and create the white cloud of doom. stunk the joint out lol.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
run 3 classes here, as well as keeping the kids running the 3 they would be in can be tough. you have to be on your game then.

In general when I got to my 2wd vehicle I have to get used to throwing it a bit more for steering than my 4wd. Gonna work some more on setup to get it closer.
how the heck do you keep everything going smooth wow good for you my kids has no interest (sucks cause I don't get to hang with him)
Old 01-16-2018, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run 4wd short course, 17.5 2wd buggy, mod buggy and 4wd mod. It is a hobby and that is the way I get the most enjoyment out of the hobby! When I go to larger races it is easier to run all those compared to local club races. However it helps the entry count and I get quite a bit of wheel time that way! More classes equals more fun! Going from 4wd SC to mod buggy is always the biggest challenge. Drives so different in those 2 platforms.

One thing that I feel this really helps with is you learn to conserve your equipment. You learn not to break stuff because you know it takes time to fix a vehicle that you really don’t have time to work on during the race day. You learn to make sure that your vehicles are maintained and prepared before the event. It is not the best option for all drivers, for sure. Some people like to rebuild shocks and diffs after each round and running 3-4 classes, it’s just not going to happen.
Demonyo, Caradha and JPAPA26 like this.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:29 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'll be trying it fairly soon most likely. I ran 1/12th and TC or VTA back to back for years, it can't be as different as that, can it?
Old 01-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PorTX View Post
One thing that I feel this really helps with is you learn to conserve your equipment. You learn not to break stuff because you know it takes time to fix a vehicle that you really donít have time to work on during the race day. You learn to make sure that your vehicles are maintained and prepared before the event. It is not the best option for all drivers, for sure. Some people like to rebuild shocks and diffs after each round and running 3-4 classes, itís just not going to happen.
So many times i see dirty and grubby cars for sale or at a track and i think this. If you cleaned your car more it would be so much less of a hassle to maintain. I clean my car top to bottom after each event and none have let me down.

I originally ran a 4x4 SCT. now i'm in 4wd mod and just bought a used serpent 1/8 ep buggy for 1/8th events. The beauty of this hobby is how many classes there are. I could effectively run 3 classes and they would all be 4x4.

With a 1/8th scale buggy in my garage, I have now doubled the amount of races I can go to. Note: I'm in Australia. Club days (both cars), 1/8th 4 Rd series, 1/10 states (QLD, NSW), 1/8 states (QLD, NSW)

And yeah rebuilding diffs, no way. shocks, eh, not so hard. easier to get to and take apart I guess.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Usually we have time for a few laps of warmup before each heat, it helps me.
I run two classes 2wd and 4wd, so there is enough time for talking rubbish around the pit too
Demonyo and JPAPA26 like this.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am glad to hear I am not the only one, I race stock 17.5t 2wd and "super stock" 13.5t 4wd. Usually the 2wd runs first then the 4wd; it takes me a few laps to adjust to the car, I struggle with the different amount of steer between the 2 cars and when I get to the 4wd it take even more laps to "trust" the amount of traction available out of corners.
Cain and JPAPA26 like this.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

This is why I like to run 4WD Buggy and 4WD SCT back to back, both cars follow the same line so I don't have to make any adjustment, however I'm only comparing with 2WD SCT which is a Spec Slash class, I used to race 2WD buggy when our track was on clay ( I actually raced all 4 classes at the time) and it just took me a couple laps of practice to get the timing right on the throttle for the jumps when switching from class to class. The jumps on the clay track were also easier to land, the new turf track is a little more challenging because the landers are significantly shorter.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

I ran 4wd buggy and 2wd SCT last weekend on EOS carpet. That was some difference in driving style I can tell you! No practice lap, line up and go.

Really took some time to get used to it. Made the main in SCT so 3 leg finals as well. A lot of racing which is what it was all about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service