Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

Tires for a DRY clay track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Mimi's Track is dirt clay mixture. I run SS. Treaded tires like electrons are always easier to drive but the slicks will get you faster lap times.
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, I thought I'd be clever and try some M4 Blockades. Yeah, that didn't work. To be fair, they got about the same traction as my "un-sauced" MC Positrons, but I wasn't looking for the same traction, I was looking for better traction. Maybe someday I'll cut all the pins off the Blockades and turn them into ghost-pin slicks, but that's a lot of work.

Next stop, M4 Positrons...or maybe M4 Electrons. I'm still undecided.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

BTW, you need to break-in tires. Throwing on a fresh set on a set of wheels without any break-in, they're not going to work very well until the foams and edges of the rubber have got the edge taken off.

Foam tuning, saucing, compound, tread pattern, rubber break-in... lots of things to get right (or wrong).
a1 likes this.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

I'm aware of the need to break-in tires for maximum traction, on-track or off-track. The tires did improve slightly as the pins wore down a bit, but they didn't improve enough. The track may be dusty, but it's just too hard-packed for pin-tread tires to work well. The pins don't offer a large-enough contact patch given the sharpness of the corners and the short runup to the jumps. I wanted to try them anyway, and the result was within the range I anticipated -- not the result I had hoped for, but at least I learned something.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

In Australia a lot of tracks are old school outdoors hard pack.

I've been having good luck with blue compound dirt maze. I was the only stock buggy pulling wheelies last meet and it was a pretty blown out track and dry because of the Australian summer. 108f today for example.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

The shaved "ghost-pin" Blockades ran like crap tonight. I switched back to the MC Positrons so I could get some more driving in before the track closed. But I'm done screwing around with tires, so I picked up some M4 Electrons and a bottle of Sticky Kicks Orange before I went home. Now I get to cut the tires off my wheels and soak the wheels in acetone to de-glue the beads.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Blockades and Positrons are designed for completely different conditions.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, I know, but I wanted to try the Blockades anyway. It's taken me a while to appreciate that damp clay is more similar to concrete than normal dirt. I eventually got my head screwed-on the right way around.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:09 PM
Tech Champion

Y'know, Sticky Kicks smells like a combination of Goo Gone (orange-oil based cleaner) and odorless paint thinner.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You guys might want to look in to wheels as well as tire/foam combo. You would be surprised how different in stiffness their are in different brands. Try softer wheels if you are struggling for traction.
Don't try to go too soft either.... there's a happy medium feel that you want but you would have to find that your self.
billdelong likes this.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have been using the jconcepts bar codes in black(mega soft) front and rear and they seem to work very well. Wear is pretty bad though since they are so soft. I sauce using belt conditioner and simple green. Simple green to clean them and belt conditioner to soften them up. Let them dry about 5-7 minutes and wipe away the excess.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

Belt conditioner? You mean the spray-on stuff you get at the auto parts store? Interesting idea, but Mimi's is an indoor track and it has a "nothing that smells bad" rule regarding traction compounds.

For cleaning tires, I just use dish soap and a toothbrush. Works like a charm, returns the rubber to its original stickiness every time.