Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What's a good base weight for a 1:10 4WD track buggy? >

What's a good base weight for a 1:10 4WD track buggy?

Like Tree5Likes

What's a good base weight for a 1:10 4WD track buggy?

Old 12-24-2017, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sgtlt View Post
our local track is only $ 5 a day 20 for race day 10 for extra car
My old track SoCal was like that. The rent most be cheaper where you are. MD and CA are never cheap.
fyrstormer likes this.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SocalSnakeEyes View Post
You have one of those too. I guess it's a thing now. At least yours is close. I have a 2 1/2 hour drive to San Jose for an indoor track that has club races. And, that darn membership.
Well, I'm content to drive outside by myself. I'm just contemplating taking advantage of a nearby track while I happen to live near one.

Unfortunately a 2.5 hour drive would be totally impractical for me, even if I were willing to drive that far to use a RC track. Driving long distances got very difficult a few years ago and hasn't improved much since then.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Well, I'm content to drive outside by myself. I'm just contemplating taking advantage of a nearby track while I happen to live near one.

Unfortunately a 2.5 hour drive would be totally impractical for me, even if I were willing to drive that far to use a RC track. Driving long distances got very difficult a few years ago and hasn't improved much since then.
Sorry to hear that. I hope things get better. Most things related to driving are hard and getting harder for me. Both full size and RC. I need glasses at a min. To much auto cleaners, rust and, car crust has gotten in my eyes over the years. I hope it's just my eyes and not something in my head.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:09 AM
Tech Elite

In my case it was months of commuting on Interstates while suffering from panic attacks, and not yet knowing which meds to take to keep things under control. Caused all kinds of problems. At this point I can reliably drive about 20-30 minutes on the freeway, if traffic isn't too heavy. Local roads are much easier because I can zone-out a bit while sitting at red lights.

Back on topic, it looks like I'm going to end-up way under the 1600g benchmark someone mentioned earlier. Interesting.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:11 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
...it looks like I'm going to end-up way under the 1600g benchmark someone mentioned earlier. Interesting.
1613g is the minimum ready to go. Almost every shorty pack weighs between 150-220g+, so you should have plenty of freedom to choose a pack that will balance out the chassis and make minimum weight. A car right at minimum weight can feel nervous, and is easily pushed around by heavier cars so I would select a battery that puts you well above the minimum.

Also, when it comes to removing weight later on, you have to remove weight from the right areas. If you remove too much weight from the chassis you will throw off the sprung to unsprung weight ratio. Do this and the car will handle like garbage. Furthermore, if you go crazy making your car way light, it can get to a point where you can't get light enough springs to make the suspension soft enough to work at the lower weight.

What car did you end up getting?