Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Archivist's Yokomo YZ-4 SF Build Pictorial >

Archivist's Yokomo YZ-4 SF Build Pictorial

Like Tree9Likes

Archivist's Yokomo YZ-4 SF Build Pictorial

Old 12-21-2017, 09:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Archivist's Yokomo YZ-4 SF Build Pictorial

The build is officially complete. Technically, I have front titanium coated shock shafts to install up front, but the stock ones will do for now. Having finished the process, it's time to reflect on the lessons of the YZ-4 SF build.

Assembling competition kits is always fun for me. It's a mechanical, technical, and creative exercise that feeds a number of my psychological needs. I torque mindfully, measure almost to the 100th, and strive for precision from start to finish. My close friends tell me I'm a perfectionist and that I should relax, and they're right in some cases, but these kits allow me to let the perfectionist have his way.

Another part of the enjoyment comes from the idea (whether real or imagined) that I'm building a highly refined racing machine intended to operate at the highest levels of competition. There might be a gram of vanity with it, but it's more humbling actually--if I'm not winning, it's not the car.

Across all these nuances of personality, the Yokomo YZ4SF has delivered! It was a terrific build, that spanned quite a few days. There were a lot of late nights during the main build stages, then more leisurely sessions for electronics placement and wiring. Finally, I went into the painting stage, during which my work schedule changed and everything slowed down. With 12-hour, overnight, shifts taking their toll, there were a couple of days where I literally placed one sticker and went to bed. (I know, right?!)

So what about the build? As expected, everything in the box was well manufactured. I can't speak to durability yet, but fit was spot on.

One area where improvement could be made, though, is the manual. From a utilitarian perspective, the diagrammatic booklet is spot on--parts for the page come from strategically filled bags. Accurate images, and easy to follow arrows direct the builder through the process effectively. However, I'd never be able to wave the book in the face of spoiled Xray guys. It would be nice if the book had a thicker cover and more care was taken to ensure that the printing lined up perfectly with the paper. I can still forgive this when consider that these additions might have added $20 to the price of the kit.

One issue that is less cosmetic was brought to my attention by Antimullet. As the tuning options for these kits expand, an explanation on how all built-in tuning options are set seems a reasonable addition.

I followed the manual directly with the exception of lubrication and shock oil. The kit comes with some black grease, but I did not use it. I used the Yokomo Black Grease that comes in a small jar with a white lid, wherever black grease was indicated.

I used Yokomo Seal Grease on the diff gasket, diff o-ring, and the diff drive cups (shaft side). The manual calls for black grease on the gasket but… yea. I also used the Seal Grease on the shock seals. If you do this, be mindful and don't overdo it. I got some grease into a shock body and had to rebuild it for that. This was also the first time I had to build shocks with bleeder holes and I didn't do them properly a few times, and I ran out of oil, so I switch the whole kit to Losi oils. This way I'd have plenty for future rebuilds.

Of course, thread-lock is on all metal/metal screws and nuts.

With three telemetry sensors, wiring presented two major challenges: A) I had 4 receiver leads that had to go from one side to the other, and B) the motor and battery leads were coming off the ESC vertically, which interfered with the shell sitting properly. The pictures show my solutions to these issues--a bridge of wire, a lexan conduit, ESC leads soldered more horizontally, and the motor twisted into a better position. I have an S.Bus2 hub coming in the mail So I'll be working on wiring again soon, but it's pretty nice right now.

Paining the car was a highlight. I knew I wanted something bright, but not neon or metallic. I broke out my markers and papers and began experimenting. I drew on the shell with a brush marker (by Prismacolor.) As is often the case after many trials, it was starting to get frustrating and the whole thing was about to get a nice heavy coat of navy blue. I've learned when this happens, I'm moments from a breakthrough. Sure enough a flowing line stretched from the back to the front and I felt good about the line. The rest of the lines followed, then paint--white, yellow, orange, then red. The liquid mask worked ok. Next time, I'll use a wider brush and apply lots of thin layers. Never worked with it before and I laid it on pretty think. I'm also wondering if I could paint it onto wax paper and then cut out my shapes and apply them after cutting… it might work

In the end it comes down to stickers. I did some razoring on the stickers and was able to make a see-thru Yokomo logo for the side of the car. That was tricky, as can be seen under not-even-that-close inspection. I used the soap-water application which pretty much saved the entire operation. Highly recommended.

And that concludes this thread. Thanks for joining me and sharing thoughts and ideas. My kit has been made better with your input.

Archivist

Last edited by archivist; 01-07-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Old 12-21-2017, 09:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Old 12-21-2017, 09:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Old 12-21-2017, 09:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Old 12-21-2017, 09:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Old 12-21-2017, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Probably should put this in the YZ-4SF thread. But nice pics! Is the motor mount plastic or aluminum?
Old 12-22-2017, 12:57 AM
Tech Regular

Alu, as in the kit.

Good build, I guess you will enjoy the drive. ;-)
archivist likes this.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RazorRC View Post
Probably should put this in the YZ-4SF thread. But nice pics! Is the motor mount plastic or aluminum?
That’s what I was going to do but the rules say: “Please note User Specific Build Threads are allowed”, which I took as a justification for separation.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by archivist View Post
That’s what I was going to do but the rules say: “Please note User Specific Build Threads are allowed”, which I took as a justification for separation.
I think build threads like this are actually good, different people build different ways and I already learned a couple things to do on my builds from yours.

Car looks beautiful - thanks for taking the time to lay these out for us.
Motorman007 and archivist like this.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Be sure to check this page 23 I got 2 of these

The servo mounts stuff.

So Amain had to ship me another one. It's not their problem, but they made it right. Thank you, Justin F. from Amain.com

Now I need to find a good 17mm Aluminum servo horn.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Motorman007 View Post
Be sure to check this page 23 I got 2 of these

The servo mounts stuff.

So Amain had to ship me another one. It's not their problem, but they made it right. Thank you, Justin F. from Amain.com

Now I need to find a good 17mm Aluminum servo horn.
Yokomo makes a 17mm arm and it's at Amain. I accidently got the 22mm onebecause i didn't have the patience to wait for the manual to popup on Yokomo's site.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Old 12-22-2017, 01:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Old 12-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Evoking1230 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.