Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Anyone tried racing FPV buggy or truggy? >

Anyone tried racing FPV buggy or truggy?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JsK
  • 1 Post By tvih

Anyone tried racing FPV buggy or truggy?

Old 12-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Anyone tried racing FPV buggy or truggy?

As the title says, have you ever tried driving by FPV in an RC?

It's the big thing with drones now, and considering what they can do flying drones at speed, why not apply that to RC, or even full on racing?

It sounds like fun. It would definitely be a different experience.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:05 PM
JsK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Makes to many people motion sick. Its one thing to watch a youtube video of a couple laps, Its something completely different to try and race for 5 or 6 minutes with a FPV perspective.
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (99%+)

Kyosho ofgers if for the Mini z, but no thanks!
Old 12-16-2017, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dromida has a 1/18 that comes with FPV. Plan to give it a try, but most likely not till spring.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

As much as I want to try it at some point, some considerations:
- Making turns on ground level without being able to look to the sides is kinda tricky, you basically have to go entirely by memory in turns. Installing a motorized gimbal camera mount could allow turning the camera, but more stuff on the car -> more things that can break and also hamper the driving characteristics
- Furthering on that, the camera gear could easily be knocked loose (especially if a gimbal mount is involved), putting you out of the race (considering actual racing)
- Needs to be a smooth track, trying to drive with a jittery camera would be both practically impossible and certainly terrible, you'd puke at worst or get a headache at best. Stabilization helps some, but it's not an omnipotent magic trick. By comparison since drones are airborne they don't have to worry about bumps so the view is smooth.

Probably the best you could do would be a short course truck, so that the view would be out of the front window of the body. Either with a regular body, or something like Pro-Line's Blockbuster. This would allow the mount and motorized turning to be relatively safe inside the body, although mounting would definitely require a bit work.
moistAF likes this.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tvih View Post
As much as I want to try it at some point, some considerations:
- Making turns on ground level without being able to look to the sides is kinda tricky, you basically have to go entirely by memory in turns. Installing a motorized gimbal camera mount could allow turning the camera, but more stuff on the car -> more things that can break and also hamper the driving characteristics
- Furthering on that, the camera gear could easily be knocked loose (especially if a gimbal mount is involved), putting you out of the race (considering actual racing)
- Needs to be a smooth track, trying to drive with a jittery camera would be both practically impossible and certainly terrible, you'd puke at worst or get a headache at best. Stabilization helps some, but it's not an omnipotent magic trick. By comparison since drones are airborne they don't have to worry about bumps so the view is smooth.

Probably the best you could do would be a short course truck, so that the view would be out of the front window of the body. Either with a regular body, or something like Pro-Line's Blockbuster. This would allow the mount and motorized turning to be relatively safe inside the body, although mounting would definitely require a bit work.
Yeah, you're probably right.

I did find a video of a guy racing his SC truck w/ FPV. The frame rate seems slow, and his field of view wasn't great. I couldn't see the hair pins at all. But he seemed to know where he was going.

having a gimbal mount and stabilization sounds good, but expensive? I'll have to look at what's available. The stuff probably isn't very rugged, being designed for drones.

I would want to build a cage inside the body to protect the camera, because I don't trust a lexan body all by itself to protect a camera.

I do like the idea of being "in" the car and maybe getting a sense of what the car is doing. Suspension tuning comes into play. You'd have a real incentive to get your suspension right, if it makes the difference between puking or not.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Action-type cameras often have various amounts of stabilization capability built in, but still require a pretty smooth track. Personally I've taken camera footage from the car, but haven't driven by it (don't have the equipment). I've been contemplating the Blockbuster body and and a better action cam for better footage, but not sure it's worth it for the giggles when there are other things to spend on right now

Although the action cam itself - a decent one from China doesn't cost that much more than the body - with a headstrap would be good for capturing racing footage from the stand for analyzing. The "wing camera" I've used so far... well, if I had a baseball cap I guess could tape the damn camera to the peak of the hat, haha. But the quality of said cam is limited anyway.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:26 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Did you measure the total latency (camera+transmission+screen) by any chance?
Old 12-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dtr View Post
Did you measure the total latency (camera+transmission+screen) by any chance?

Ugh...you want details?

I have no clue, but it probably won't be very good. FPV is new to me, so I don't know what is available. I know there is a wide range, so I'm sure the more a guy spends, the less latency and higher quality video.

But I would definitely get a drone camera w/ board, rather than a gopro. I assume they'll be better optimized for FPV use. And they're smaller and lighter. I'm surprised how cheap some of them are, but I'm sure a "good" set-up is gonna be expensive.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, for a "proper" long-term FPV setup dedicated systems are definitely superior.