Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree244Likes

Rethinking 2wd Buggy Design

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by fredygump
This is cool. I mean, just the fact that you're doing something different than just assembling RC lego pieces is commendable. I am often discouraged that all my ideas of things to make for an RC car are already being made and available to purchase online. Apparently I'm not being creative enough. (Now I'm remembering how I've imagined inboard front disc brakes for my 1/8 buggy...that'd be pretty sweet...but probably isn't gonna happen.)

Is the front kick-up necessary? Since you're doing a complete redesign...I always figured it's mostly there for rough surfaces. On road cars don't have kick-up like that, so I'm wondering if it's still necessary for indoor? (I assume you're running indoor by the tires...) In my limited 2wd ST experience, I've never been happy with tuning the front suspension, which I attribute to the kick-up angle. It's probably a lot to do with the weight of the tires/wheels on an ST, but my thought is that RC cars are more and more becoming on road cars that go over jumps. You're essentially building an F1 car, and adapting a more on road suspension might be advantagious.
what is 2WD ST? whats that ST stand for?
Old 12-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vingles
what is 2WD ST? whats that ST stand for?
2wd stadium truck?
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Pretty Cool, reminds me of the CAT XLS. Also perhaps 1/8 Carbon Wheel hub Discs.
I saw those discs a few years ago and liked the idea right away. But I didn't want to do bolt on (too heavy) so I adopted the monocoque idea for the knuckles / discs.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Here is a little inspiration. the Piranha P2 from ~2005 with a monocoque chassis...
That's cool, never seen that before! I toyed extensively with the idea of cantilevered / inboard shocks but to have any kind of lower CG you pretty much have to use a small cantilever and that results in slow piston speeds and/or massive angular change in the lever arm screwing up the shock geometry. I do have some new ideas that I'd like to experiment with but it would mean fabricating a pull style shock. And fabing a shock (that works well) is a little outside my machining skills at this point.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

Been working on the front knuckle / steering block / wheel assembly. I really liked the last steering block I made but once I figured out how to make the model pivot like it would in real life I realised the limitations of the design. So I started a new one. This is what I have so far, its not done but I think the design solution is much more elegant and approaching the smoother / organic design I am trying to achieve.

Buggy 20

Buggy 21

Buggy 22

Buggy 23

Just waiting for parts to rebuild my 3D printer so that I can print these parts. I got my new filament for the build but they didn't send the water soluble filament for support structure, it was out of stock at the time of shipping. But that too is now on its way. All of this is OK because the modelling isn't done!
Old 12-27-2017, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Took one look at these views and had to post this. The front shocks are lower than the tops of the tires at ride height!

Buggy 24

Buggy 25

With poorly modelled tires.

Buggy 26

Buggy 27

Buggy 28
Old 12-27-2017, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Drawing an imaginary line from the inner hinge pin mount to the bottom of the tire shows that some of the arm is blow this line. At full compression, is the arm hitting the ground?
30Tooth likes this.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Krio
Drawing an imaginary line from the inner hinge pin mount to the bottom of the tire shows that some of the arm is blow this line. At full compression, is the arm hitting the ground?
Its fairly close at the back but I think it'll clear. But Once I have the rear hubs and wheels designed I will know for sure.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Its close but it clears!

This is a carpet car so I don't need a bunch of clearance. It's worth it for the low CG.

Buggy 29

The front arms aren't done yet and I will check them when their done.
Krio likes this.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:02 AM
Tech Regular

I'm still waiting for the printer parts to rebuild it to make these parts; so, I am going through and tweaking all the parts before printing. I got bored and made a quick estimate of what the body will look like, as well as the wings. So here it its. Be kind its a very rough estimation! And the real thing will be made out of lexan that is vacuum formed over wood.

Buggy 30

Buggy 31

The body will be in two pieces, the main body and the cab. The cab will bolt on the the top of the main body. The front window can be cut out along with the top of the back of the cab moving the downforce back. Or for even more rear downforce I can cut out the back of the main body to allow air to the underside of the rear spoiler. This design will also allow me to move the cab back and forth to adjust the downforce with the front window in place. This whole thing is designed to be tested in the wind tunnel and the track.

Buggy 32

I am also going to try a rear spoiler. The side skirts will also run low to manage the air around the rear arms.

Buggy 33

YES, I know it different! That's why I'm doing it. To try new stuff.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Different indeed! While I admire the effort and its goal, I hope you're not too offended when I say that it looks rather... hideous Continuing from that note, one thing I don't like about RC racing buggies is that they don't really look much like any real 1:1 buggies that I've seen - yours takes that one step further.

I mean, being unmanned miniature vehicles they obviously don't have to - but one reason why I like short course trucks so much is because they look nice, very similar to the 1:1 ones. Touring cars have this "benefit" too, but I prefer the offroad driving style. Anyway, for SCTs of course most of that look is the body shell, but that's just natural. Buggies in the meanwhile as a whole don't really look like a real vehicle, or particularly practical for a driver. If you were in the cabin and actually could be in a reasonable driving position there given the superlow profile, I reckon you wouldn't be able to see worth crap. Shock tower and shocks block it all. Makes me wish desert buggies like the AE Nomad DB8 were what the racing buggies are like. But personal preferences are personal preferences, and I'm clearly in the minority considering which way the RC race buggies have evolved!

Anyway, I suppose that's a bit besides the main point of the thread. But make no mistake, regardless of visual preference I'm certainly interested to see how this thing will work on the track eventually!
Old 01-01-2018, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Yah the last body pics are ugly. Working on that! I have to post some concept sketches to give you a better idea of what it will look like in the end.

When I was mocking up my last one it looked ugly too. But I think it came out awesome. Little rough but awesome!

IMG_20161226_174704
Old 01-01-2018, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

I'm curious if your final product will be roar legal?
Old 01-01-2018, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by faqcya
I'm curious if your final product will be roar legal?
At this point everything is legal as far as I can tell (rules are a bit vague concerning some of the things I've designed). But people have changed the rules a few times because of things I have come up with before. I am doing this for fun, to try things and learn. I am not that concerned with how it looks just trying things and learning. The best part of all of this is the aero acting as camouflage for some of the other things I am trying. Honestly the aero won't make that much of a difference, its just one piece of the puzzle.

EDIT: The battery is illegal, its a super shorty. Come on ROAR get with the times, make shorties and super shorties the min size! or just get rid of battery size rules.
ddd228 likes this.

Last edited by NitrousBIG; 01-01-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

I think following ROAR rules in regards to wheelbase and width is a good thing but I wouldn't be too concerned with every rule detail. This is a design exercise. You need to figure out what's possible. The battery rule is idiotic anyways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.