Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Bearings:  more expensive = better or just buy cheap and replace often? >

Bearings: more expensive = better or just buy cheap and replace often?

Like Tree20Likes

Bearings: more expensive = better or just buy cheap and replace often?

Old 12-12-2017, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FastGT94
I'm with you, if I'm going to take it apart to service it, I may as well replace em. I'll take a peek at the bocabearings. Any good place to purchase from that has a decent price? Found the 5x11x4's on amazon for $15.89 (for four of them)
Avid RC
Norse likes this.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Avid RC
+1

They have been my favorite place I've ordered from, they typically ship the same day and offer a wide range from cheap bearings all the way up to various hybrid ceramic options, for the P2de, I would probably go with cheap rubber sealed kit for $15:

Traxxas Stampede VXL (#3607L) Bearing Kit

When not it a hurry and buying in bulk, you can find some cheaper deals on eBay, though they usually take 2-3 weeks to arrive, most of my orders from AVID typically arrive in 2-3 days.
Norse and a1 like this.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

cool, I'll take a look at avid too
thanks
Old 12-12-2017, 10:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I had great results with teflon sealed $1.00 bearings.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bubbaslash
Go to Boca's website and select the RC section. Then enter the model you are working on. They have complete bearing sets available for any model RC you can name. The Green Seals are usually $30-$40 a set, but check online for coupon codes to save money on your order. While not the most friction-free bearing out there, I will recommend them for the durability aspect. They are packed in grease, not oil, and the lip of the seal is recessed behind the bearing race which keeps dirt and water out.
Green Seals aren't ceramic, though. Probably still very good bearings, but I like the bulletproofness of the ceramic bearings.

If you give Boca information about the bearings required for vehicles they don't already know about, or if you record bearing-replacement videos for vehicles they don't already know about, they'll hook you up with a permanent discount code. I did that a few years back.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by billdelong
A can of brake cleaner costs $2 at WalMart, I would clean the bearings once every 20-25 battery packs and chances are you'll rarely have to replace a bearing (if ever)
Brake cleaner works, but it's nastier than necessary. Brake cleaner uses chlorinated hydrocarbons (CHCs if you're savvy), which are pretty much liquid cancer. It's really intended for stripping-off baked-on brake dust, which is hundreds of degrees when it rubs off the brake pads and bonds to anything it touches. CRC Electronics Cleaner is primarily hexane (a non-chlorinated hydrocarbon), costs less than brake cleaner, dissolves most greases just as fast as brake cleaner, and doesn't emit those awful, heavy, choking fumes that linger for 15 minutes, even outdoors, like brake cleaner does.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

cool, I'll take a look at avid too
thanks
Another vote for Avid. Complete sets for 15 and up.blue seals and Revolutions get most of my business and ceramics in the tranny when racing. I use them in bashers and racing, electric and nitro, they’re about the only ones that I can really depend on in the clutch area.
nitrodude likes this.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Brake cleaner works, but it's nastier than necessary. Brake cleaner uses chlorinated hydrocarbons (CHCs if you're savvy), which are pretty much liquid cancer. It's really intended for stripping-off baked-on brake dust, which is hundreds of degrees when it rubs off the brake pads and bonds to anything it touches. CRC Electronics Cleaner is primarily hexane (a non-chlorinated hydrocarbon), costs less than brake cleaner, dissolves most greases just as fast as brake cleaner, and doesn't emit those awful, heavy, choking fumes that linger for 15 minutes, even outdoors, like brake cleaner does.

Here is the Walmart brand I'm referring to (Super Tech) which is non-chlorinated:
https://dealcenter.online/products/s...ner-14-5-fl-oz

I must admit that the fumes are strong and I've found it best to use Ball-Link -Pliers to hold the bearings when flushing them so not to get any chemicals on my hands:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RC-Heli...x/150619341269

If you have more free time and want to do less work, then simply let your bearings soak over night in a can of Berryman's Chem Dip:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Parts-Cle...-Carb/17491945

*** be sure you remove all rubber/plastic parts before soaking anything in Berryman's it will dissolve pretty much anything non-metallic!

Another trick I've learned to save time is to always have a full clean set of bearings to install, then after you're done with a rebuild, you can soak/clean/lube your spare set of bearings later to prep before the next rebuild
Old 12-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Well crap, that's news to me about brake cleaner. Glad I used to use it to get grease off my hands back in my earlier days of working on cars / working at Firestone tire...
Old 12-13-2017, 07:07 AM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I grabbed some electronics cleaner from home depot and the stuff worked great on the electronics of my esc but ruined the plastic housing. It crumble into pieces. Some of that stuff dont play nice with plastics.
Maybe try mineral spirits, or simple green soak and blast of air
Old 12-13-2017, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

ACER ceramics are excellent as are Boca yellows
Old 12-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Smc Racing has tubes of 10 in various sizes for 5$ a tube. Yes, 10 bearings for 5$
heretic likes this.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Avid RC is great, they ship the same day, the bearings are great quality. Ive had the same set on my nitro sedan for 18 months without any problems. I clean them every 2 months and lube them, and they continue to spin freely. They also have the option of bearings that are shielded on one side and sealed on the other side. Those offer less drag than the regular sealed ones and still allow you to clean them. And no, Im not sponsored. I usually get them within 3 days. Of course Im cali, as they are.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks all, next bearing failure, I'll start shopping around all of your suggestions May do a mix. More expensive (boca yellows) in the transmission and harder to get at spots, and the cheaper ones in the easier to replace spots.
Norse likes this.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thanks all, next bearing failure, I'll start shopping around all of your suggestions May do a mix. More expensive (boca yellows) in the transmission and harder to get at spots, and the cheaper ones in the easier to replace spots.
And you did see Avid makes complete sets for it right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.