Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What is the best way to start out in 17.5 Carpet buggy racing? >

What is the best way to start out in 17.5 Carpet buggy racing?

What is the best way to start out in 17.5 Carpet buggy racing?

Old 12-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Default What is the best way to start out in 17.5 Carpet buggy racing?

I am looking to see what is the best way to make a competitive buggy with a budget. I have followed many pages on facebook about 17.5 racing. I was wanting get some opinions on what chassis to start out with and what is the best bang for my buck.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Default spec class

Originally Posted by Burton_riley
I am looking to see what is the best way to make a competitive buggy with a budget. I have followed many pages on facebook about 17.5 racing. I was wanting get some opinions on what chassis to start out with and what is the best bang for my buck.
As much as I hate to say this TLR is your best kit! Dirt/Carpet version in one kit! TEKIN/ ESC motor package, Protek (2s) 3600 LIHV battery's, Savox 1258TG servo, transmitter drivers choice there? I myself Run Schumacher KC buggy. Trinity motors work well w/ tekin ESC. Tires are the most important part in any race buggy's PERIOD!! so check what the fast guys are running at your track. Tit screw, ball studs will help w/weight, 1499 grs. Min weight.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Best thing would be finding someone getting out of the hobby and buying their complete setup, no matter what it is.

Best bang for the buck brand new would be an Associated B6 or B6d kit since they had their prices slashed in the last few weeks. With coupon codes from AMain or Tower, you have a NIB car for $230. Tekin has lightly used 17.5/RS Spec combos in their online store at teamtekin.com/shop for $99. Its hard to find a shorty pack that is terrible these days. I've had great luck with Hobbyking Ultimate or Graphene packs and SMC while my friends have used GensAce and others in the $45 range with no issues.

Going with the above items puts you under $400 with equipment that will last you a long time if you are just starting out.

That takes care of chassis and power. Up to you on servo/radio.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Im going the B6 Club Racer route to get me started with electric. (nitro guy)

Looking forward to it.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

+1 to buying used... pretty much any brand that is within 2 releases old... anything older and you risk running with a design that's too dated which will typically struggle on tuning options and have risky parts support.

Fan boys are gonna jump out and say their favorite brand is the best, but any of the top brands will do just fine... XRay, Losi, Associated, Schumacher, Yokomo.... these are the brands I would limit in my search personally if I were to help a friend select a used buggy on a tight budget.

I would give preference to whatever brand is the most supported at your local club, you'll get better local support for tuning advice that way.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I just picked up a used 22 3.0 for a friend of mine $145. I'm building him a competitive car on a budget. I'll give him a 17.5 motor (trackstar V1 worth about $25, $59 for a new Ecopower 17.5) hobbywing esc $50, savox 1256tg servo $60, futaba 3pv radio $100-129, battery $40 for like a gens ace. Then tires of your choice. You can easily hit $500 for a "budget car" so looking for someone dumping a race ready car with everything can be a great way to go if the price is right.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Burton_riley
I have both Losi 22. 3.0 and 4.0 for carpet as well as the associated B 6...all are great if they are setup right. The 3.0 needs a laydown tranny. If you want new...budget then look towards the b6 club package.

If Uou can find used setup buggy for turf in good condition then even better