Like Tree354Likes

Yokomo YZ-4 SF

Hide Wikipost
Old 02-06-2018, 06:30 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-4 SF
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DG Designs

Old 08-07-2019, 11:13 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)

had a good night of running the YZ4SF on our turf here. Used a combination of the Joey Fischer setup and the Lee Martin setup from 2019 ( I don't see this on petitirc). few changes I made from the setups mainly going with a center diff like Joey but with 200K in center, AE Springs V2 Blue fronts and V2 Yellow rears 600cst front and 450cst rear, and I had .5 pills on me at the time for the rear so .5 top middle on RF hangar, and .5 Outer Topper for RR hangar. 7K diff fluid front and rear Running 13.5 class with Tekin Spec-R.

Car very plush in jumping and handling bump sections. I may go slightly heavier diff fluid all around, maybe try out a stiffer front spring but was pretty happy with it. Pistons were stock.

When going to newer tires front and rear, same type though, started to se a hint of wanting to roll over in the highest speed sweeper, I may play with some of the pill settings on that one, or go up to 10K front and rear on diffs.

HOpe to get some more playtime this week with the car, but quite happy with the changes.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wants the benefit of the AE springs?
Old 08-08-2019, 03:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 158 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtbwrench View Post
For my driving style, the kit setup had a considerable amount of nose diving on high grip clay. As I started to get things dialed in though The nose-diving became a non-issue. Laying down the front shocks and going thicker on the damping really helped a ton.
yeah. Iím at 55 front 40 rear, kit pistons ( decided to take it off the shelf and play a bit).I have a piece of Office Depot carpet in kit garage I use to tune in steering ( local track is small with tight turns so it works out). Doesnít seem to dive as much as before when I ran muchmore shock oil (may be on the thinner side of their cst rating). AE oil is definitely thicker feeling at least.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
Wants the benefit of the AE springs?
I find that all of the front Yokomo springs are too soft, Associated gives you a much greater choice of spring, going quite a lot stiffer if needed.
Cain likes this.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:51 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by John Myall View Post

I find that all of the front Yokomo springs are too soft, Associated gives you a much greater choice of spring, going quite a lot stiffer if needed.
This. the new springs measured values are stiffer, but still not as stiff as the AE springs.

Right now for tuning I think I am going to go up on diffs front and rear to 10K over my 7K see how it feels. Hope to test it out sunday but will see.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
This. the new springs measured values are stiffer, but still not as stiff as the AE springs.

Right now for tuning I think I am going to go up on diffs front and rear to 10K over my 7K see how it feels. Hope to test it out sunday but will see.
Matty G the fast yokomo guy around here swears by 10k front diff with 2 spider gears
Old 08-09-2019, 07:58 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by trf211 View Post
Matty G the fast yokomo guy around here swears by 10k front diff with 2 spider gears
Oh wow. I may have to give that a try be curious on that. What is it he feels he gained performance wise going with that?

Ran wheeler again for some track time with the 4x4 SCT guys to get it out there. They took pity on me

Was having some good runs trying out some different lines that faster guys were taking on a particular jump, took out 2 a-arms, I'd say the first was kind of a iffy break, right at the hingepin inner area as usual. I probably cracked it or someting earlier.

Next one I was surprised didn't destroy more lol. was later in the evening sun going down was trying a few different lines going into what we call a wall ride, its side is exposed those so you can hit it head on wrong, well, I ended up pitching the buggy too much to the left and bam, hit the wall. was expecting more damage but ended up just taking out another a-arm shattering it in the middle for a change.

All in all good night, one thing I want to improve is on-brake rotation, need a bit more for a tighter turn section. At times it would want to push wide. So will play with that more. As it sits I plan to do the following changes:

- 200K to 500K center diff
- 7K to 10K front and rear diffs
- Possibly less rear toe