R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-03-2006, 02:46 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default ANYBODY GOT ONE?

I'm looking at the academy SB pro buggy for a future purchase. My son has a BJ4, and though quite fast, it's very expensive. For allmost half the $ the SB pro offers much the same equiptment from what I've read. Anybody who owns one have any input to this? I'll take any info any of you have on this buggy... Thanks, Kingskid
Kings Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

What's up Kings. I see you're from Mi. do you race at all? We're lucky and have many tracks in our state. I'm trying to get a wheeler class going at my home track "Sandhill" in Saginaw.

As for your question I'm sure Cain will chime in. There's also a thread about the buggy at the B4 Forums
I think there is actually two threads there, one being for the newer academy. Just have to look for them. I was thinking about an academy, but picked up a used losi xx4 because the price was right.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
Tech Elite

One of the largest and most complete sources of info on all types of 4WD off-road can be found at www.4wdrc.com . The forum board there has an entire section devoted to the Academy.
YoungChazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I had one for about a year before finally giving up on it. You're almost guaranteed to break something every time out. The new one coming out this spring looks to be improved in some pf the weak areas, but only time will tell for sure. I now have a XXX-4 and Kyosho ZX-5. After driving the K-car only once, I fell in love and was upset i wasted so much time on the Academy. Not that the ZX doesn't have a couple little issues, but back to back out of the box, there is no comparison. And btw, if you get the Losi, at least parts will never be an issue....
t4ftracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
Tech Master

Hey J Brow1
yeh, I run at a track in mishawaka In. in the winter (its a carpet track) and outdoors in the summer. Thinkin about going brushless and lipo in all my cars.
I've got a xx4 with a 5800 right now and its pretty fast, but I'd like a carbon fiber buggy with one of the new GTB systems and the scorpion lipo system. I bet that combo will really scream... Kingskid
Old 02-03-2006, 09:16 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Talking i got one

hey i have the pro and i love it i'm very rough on it and it never breaks...my friend has a bj4 and he has yet to finish a race at our local track....i was blazin fast and handle just as good if not better and never break ...only complaint was the shock ...i put the shocks off of th ae b4 and its pefect now ...i would go with th sb pro ... just my 2 cents... thanks

chuck
c3sworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to thedudeaturdoor

that new Lazer looks reall nice

or The 4 wd by losi is nice, only problems with the rear shock tower if u majorly bash it (drive off a roof, for example )
thedudeaturdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I was thinking about brushless too. Maybe next winter as I'm not sure how much I'll run elec in the summer. Once I burn some nitro I seem to forget what batteries are unless it's an rx pack. You guys should check out pheasant run in the summer, normally the last sunday of the month.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to thedudeaturdoor

get the warrior controler and a BLue Bird/Fiego motor
its only say... 800 bucks

but really the mamba 1/10 is gona be saweet
thedudeaturdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:58 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

^ Completely untrue, a sensorless setup with a warrior controller and Feigao motor is only a few dollars more than a Novak setup. That said the novak is way better, lol. All of the currently avaliable sensorless setups (with the execption of the Schulze U-force and a plettenburg motor) are terrible for actual car racing, Novak/LRP are superior in so many ways.
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:07 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Kid
Hey J Brow1
yeh, I run at a track in mishawaka In. in the winter (its a carpet track) and outdoors in the summer. Thinkin about going brushless and lipo in all my cars.
I've got a xx4 with a 5800 right now and its pretty fast, but I'd like a carbon fiber buggy with one of the new GTB systems and the scorpion lipo system. I bet that combo will really scream... Kingskid
if horsepower is defined by how fast I hit the wall and torque by how much I move it, I definitely need more of both!