R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Tire Question for guys who run on astro.

So recently, I ran through a set of rears (PL Prisms) in one practice/race day. I estimate I ran about 4 runs of practice and 1 qualifier, the qualifier was when I started spinning out, after which I noticed how worn the tires were. I did rotate them after the 1st 3 runs. Each run was about 5 minutes.

Now I didn't expect more than maybe 2 race days, which would have been about 8 runs total. So I guess I was close.

The question is, would one expect more or less wear if running the slipper tight? Rule of thumb as I hear it, is lock down the slipper for this kind of track. Maybe mine is too locked down causing more wear? Maybe i'm just too "on the throttle" coming out of turns causing more wear?

Maybe rotating the tires is causing them to wear faster?

I'm not opposed to buying tires. I'd rather not have to buy a new set every week, but i feel like its becoming a necessity. Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Rotating tires always causes faster tire wear.

Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
So recently, I ran through a set of rears (PL Prisms) in one practice/race day. I estimate I ran about 4 runs of practice and 1 qualifier, the qualifier was when I started spinning out, after which I noticed how worn the tires were. I did rotate them after the 1st 3 runs. Each run was about 5 minutes.

Now I didn't expect more than maybe 2 race days, which would have been about 8 runs total. So I guess I was close.

The question is, would one expect more or less wear if running the slipper tight? Rule of thumb as I hear it, is lock down the slipper for this kind of track. Maybe mine is too locked down causing more wear? Maybe i'm just too "on the throttle" coming out of turns causing more wear?

Maybe rotating the tires is causing them to wear faster?

I'm not opposed to buying tires. I'd rather not have to buy a new set every week, but i feel like its becoming a necessity. Thoughts?
That is more or less the same results I got from the prism rear tires since I have started running pin points, a taller rear pin and get more life out of them
fantomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Hi,I have run on astro here in Ireland for the last 8 years or so.dont lock the slipper set it to slip for a couple of feet from a standing start.if to tight you will get wheelspin and burn out tyres quicker( how much depends on tyres,track layout etc).with the mid motor cars you don't really have the same weight transfer we used to have with the rear motor cars,this means the rears can just spin up easier but it's harder to notice because the rear doesn't kick as much as with a rear motor.hope this makes sense
tony6187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Depends on the astro and how much grip it has. Many tracks in the UK are very high grip and you can rinse a set of rears in 2 runs. The top guys often only run once in a National but mortals can run a bit more.

We mostly use Schumacher mini spikes or Darts on astro. The Darts in particular give great initial grip but fall off badly. Mini spikes are a bit better but a competitive meeting would usually be 2 sets of rears for me ( 4 qual and one final).
cutting42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Tech Adept

You can run a race with one set (minispike) but most of the time a couple of rears and one front should do the trick then you could use what's left for training.
If the grip is good you should have some runs left for practice even if the car is slower.

The Dart is a very good tire on astro but after a couple of runs you will be slower for sure, but still useable.

For training I use minipin (not the 1 or 2, the original). The first run will be edgy but I can then run all day long with enough forward bite to keep running fast laps, the car will be a bit harder to drive and could roll over more but I can do 10 runs or so.

This is for 2wd.

Sometimes for 4wd you will need to scrub tires a bit to lost edginess and sets a bit worn seems to be easier to drive.
mojo tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:45 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Which compound are you running?

At the turf track in my area, we're finding that the harder the compound the better the traction and the longer the wear. Most guys are getting 4+ race days (and counting) with the Z3 Prisms.

I started running running them last race day for the first time and they haven't shown any hint of wear yet.

Here's a sample of our turf track to get an idea of the turf (recycled from an indoor arena ):

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

not rear sure about astro but i run on carpet. Ive being running the schumacher cactus in mod 2wd buggy got about 12+ runs on them little wear and still feels like great grip.
540bilotilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:38 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdelong View Post

At the turf track in my area, we're finding that the harder the compound the better the traction and the longer the wear. Most guys are getting 4+ race days (and counting) with the Z3 Prisms.

I started running running them last race day for the first time and they haven't shown any hint of wear yet.

Here's a sample of our turf track to get an idea of the turf (recycled from an indoor arena ):

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Has anyone tried slicks there yet?
MX304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:32 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:

+ YouTube Video
Id definitely give the Cactus tyre a go by looking at that video, should work really well there.
X-Factory UK / Carisma Racing/ Corally/ Vampire Racing /TEKIN/ AVID/ JConcepts / Lunsford / Exotek Racing / Hiro Seiko / RDRP / GRP Tyres/ Tuning Haus/ DMSPARTZ / McKune/ RCS Graphic Workz / WTF / DMS Racing / Model Junction
John Myall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:21 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Astro tires

Have run pin,points, cactus and blocks. Blocks last longest, we get 2 race weekends out of them in 17.5 and practice. Cactus is like riding with Velcro, hooked up.
Oldbutlearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:02 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX304 View Post
Has anyone tried slicks there yet?
Yes, and they are too loose, pretty much anything with some tread will work "okay", we've tried everything from clay compound electrons to soft compound goosebumps and what we've found is that the harder the compound the better the performance, pin style tires tend to do better than rib or block style. The shorter pins do better than longer pins. As some brands of tires wear their pins, traction actually improves because they are less likely to fold over and get more bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Myall View Post
I’d definitely give the Cactus tyre a go by looking at that video, should work really well there.
Yes, several folks have ran Cactus and they're a great tire for this track, most folks are running ProLine Prisms lately, that seems to be a good combination for this track surface for the wheelers. It's really a preference where Cactus tends to be a little more aggressive and Prism is a little more consistent. For my 4WD SC, depending on track conditions, I'll run ProLine Z3 pinpoints most of the time, they are a little harder compound than Schumacher Mini Pins having the inverse relationship where if pinpoints start traction rolling, then I'll switch to the mini pins to get a little better consistency.

In general, I think it's good to have several brands of tires to choose depending on track conditions... I have seen humidity become a factor where traction is low in the morning hours, then it pick up throughout the day, then traction can drop off again in the evening after sunset. It's real subtle, but I'll go back and look at lap times to see that the warmer temps in the day have confirmed this observation.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Yes, and they are too loose, pretty much anything with some tread will work "okay", we've tried everything from clay compound electrons to soft compound goosebumps and what we've found is that the harder the compound the better the performance, pin style tires tend to do better than rib or block style. The shorter pins do better than longer pins. As some brands of tires wear their pins, traction actually improves because they are less likely to fold over and get more bite.

Yes, several folks have ran Cactus and they're a great tire for this track, most folks are running ProLine Prisms lately, that seems to be a good combination for this track surface for the wheelers. It's really a preference where Cactus tends to be a little more aggressive and Prism is a little more consistent. For my 4WD SC, depending on track conditions, I'll run ProLine Z3 pinpoints most of the time, they are a little harder compound than Schumacher Mini Pins having the inverse relationship where if pinpoints start traction rolling, then I'll switch to the mini pins to get a little better consistency.

In general, I think it's good to have several brands of tires to choose depending on track conditions... I have seen humidity become a factor where traction is low in the morning hours, then it pick up throughout the day, then traction can drop off again in the evening after sunset. It's real subtle, but I'll go back and look at lap times to see that the warmer temps in the day have confirmed this observation.
Thanks. I'm going to hopefully make it down for the Winter Shootout Series race.
MX304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX304 View Post
Thanks. I'm going to hopefully make it down for the Winter Shootout Series race.
Cool deal, look forward to running with you, what's your name so I know who you are?

Don't put too much stake in the current layout posted of the video I posted above, they will be doing a completely different layout along with reversing the direction to clockwise for the WSS.