there will be a new revolutionary Losi buggy by the end of this year

seen at
http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...hp?storyid=289
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:56 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Its funny how they open with the statement of this buggy being nothing like any other out yet, and then procede to list features shared with every other 1/8th buggy out...The way I see it is if this buggy isn't truly revolutionary then there is no reason to even produce it. We already have a choice of a handful of buggies that are all the same, and perform at the same level. If there is no true innovation in this buggy Losi is just wasting their time.
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:56 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think you're under-estimating Losi ability to produce something really different that rocks
and the finish of all parts is extra too
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:07 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2
I think you're under-estimating Losi ability to produce something really different that rocks
and the finish of all parts is extra too
I agree with WheelNut. His point was that the article boasts about how revolutionary it was, and then when you look at the list of features, there's zilch that separates it from the rest. That's not to say it won't be unique, but why make such a statement and then drone on about standard features??
Jason B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
Tech Regular

What can you tell from that vague press release?

do you really think they would say
"Our new buggy has feature X, so go ahead other brands, get copying, you might be able to rush something out an beat us to our own idea!!"

I don't think you can comment if it is revolutionary or not until you see the thing!

every car that Losi makes is capeable of winning even the biggest races, and I am pretty sure the same will happen with their future cars too
Old 02-03-2006, 07:50 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Did anyone say it wasn't revolutionary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason B
That's not to say it won't be unique
We're just saying that the press release could have been shortened to "we have a 1/8th buggy". It just seems silly to tout a revolutionary design but not give any hint as to what it might entail. You can certainly leave a nugget or two without showing your hand.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:02 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Interesting to me is that the first report of the new buggy is coming out of a european website. I think everybody was pretty sure that there would be a 1/8th buggy eventually (rumors and tire/wheel combo released) but there is still no confirmation from a U.S. based source. Strange to me since Losi is a U.S. company. I hope whatever they come out with has decent pricing and parts pricing. The market seems to be all over the place parts cost.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Here is a part I am curious about:

Quote:
...an oversize fuel tank with constant fuel delivery....
By oversized fuel tank, do they mean one that is beyond the race legal size?

I don't doubt that Losi will put there own touches on the vehicle that will make it unique, I am just curious to see what will be revolutionary. Can they do it, sure, I don't doubt that. I just hope they don't mean revolutionary by "hey, we put LST shocks on the buggy!" .
Old 02-03-2006, 09:17 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Lars Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason B
We're just saying that the press release could have been shortened to "we have a 1/8th buggy". It just seems silly to tout a revolutionary design but not give any hint as to what it might entail.
They did drop some hints; more centrally mounted motor, an oversize fuel tank with constant fuel delivery, etc. You're correct tho, short of making it fly and wash the dishes, it's probably going to look similar to that of what is already out there. But no one knows right now, and for obvious reasons (marketing), this gets a lot of people excited to see what else it's going to have that another car may not.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the buggy, that's for sure. The parts cost/availability alone would make it an excellent choice.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka
Interesting to me is that the first report of the new buggy is coming out of a european website. I think everybody was pretty sure that there would be a 1/8th buggy eventually (rumors and tire/wheel combo released) but there is still no confirmation from a U.S. based source. Strange to me since Losi is a U.S. company. I hope whatever they come out with has decent pricing and parts pricing. The market seems to be all over the place parts cost.
I got an email from Todd Hodge just before that news so I guess that would count as being from a US based source, its word for word what its stated on neo-buggy so I guess neo-buggy were just the first to get the news up on a website.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:29 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka
I hope whatever they come out with has decent pricing and parts pricing. The market seems to be all over the place parts cost.

I think this is where this buggy is going to shine. If it can win big races and so forth people will buy it. An they will buy it because you can get the performance of an MBX-5 prospec for half the cost, and shock pistons wan't cost $10. That's what I hate about my mugen, everything costs at least $10 from shock pistons to clutch shoes. Or $15 for a clutch bell!

I really want to get a new 1/8 scale but I really don't want to drop $700+ on a mugen or get ripped when buying a kyosho. Its about time an american co. has stepped up to the plate to make something like this. I think this buggy will be better than what people think, I mean you're gonna have The Drake leading the development on this thing. There is more than enough technology and engineering expertise in this country to make this buggy be the absolute best in the world.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #13
Tech Legend

I wonder how much of a price difference we will actually see? I personally think that the price may be slightly less than say comparable 1/8 scale buggies parts are, but in the end will probably be a horse a piece pricewise.

I just hope that durability is a big component of this new buggy so that a "LSB 2" isn't needed to fix any durability issues or depend on RPM for some arms. I rather spend the full "Mugen" price if the durability is better. If its worse, you don't save any money then.

As for the centrally oriented engine, I wonder then how will they balance out the rest of the weight. Maybe the receiver pack will be centrally oriented too? heck, make it all centrally oriented so you can narrow the chassis.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:00 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
I wonder how much of a price difference we will actually see? I personally think that the price may be slightly less than say comparable 1/8 scale buggies parts are, but in the end will probably be a horse a piece pricewise.

I just hope that durability is a big component of this new buggy so that a "LSB 2" isn't needed to fix any durability issues or depend on RPM for some arms. I rather spend the full "Mugen" price if the durability is better. If its worse, you don't save any money then.

As for the centrally oriented engine, I wonder then how will they balance out the rest of the weight. Maybe the receiver pack will be centrally oriented too? heck, make it all centrally oriented so you can narrow the chassis.

Right on the money. While the price could be better they won't sell a $300 buggy in a market that is fetching $700. Even if they could they won't. It would be very nice if they could build more profit into the kit for dealers but Horizon is typically the worst about this.

I have a Mugen myself and I know what O.S. power is talking about. The plastic is more than reasonable in cost (arms, knuckles, gearcases), right on par with american 1/10 kits. It's the little stuff that is out of control. Shock pistons and parts, the shock o-rings are $10 a set and it's nothing but washers and o-rings, shock boots are very costly also. Conversely, gears and things of that nature are very inexpensive (except for the sprur gear).

Cain, the "more centrally mounted engine is actually a very good idea. The engine is by far the heaviest component and most buggies are a bit heavier on the engine side because of this. Chad Bradley uses a heavy 2500 mah battery to help balance his cars because of this. The trick will be improving the current center drive shaft designs so that they will last at that kind of angle.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #15
Tech Legend

Davidka: Thanks for the insights. What is the best way racers determine chassis balance in a 1/8 scale buggy?

With the space that the matrix has in its battery box, a bigger battery seemed an easy thing to do.