Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
I am thinking about opening a New Indoor Off road Track. >

I am thinking about opening a New Indoor Off road Track.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree87Likes

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:16 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Smash
OK good! The number one reason tracks fail in my opinion is people just dont understand how hard the business side is and thinks it will be easy
Really hard on the turf and it gives up one of the fundemental advantages to turf/carpet which is fast layout changes. Yatabe tried it for awhile and I think there even back to a modular setup on flat floor.
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I don't care if its carpet or dirt, I'll be happy just having another track!
peter george and realfast1 like this.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Thank you all for your input it was very helpful. I will keep you all updated on what we are going to go.
Phillip F likes this.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Changing jumps on Clay/Dirt is only difficult if you don't have the man power. If several people are willing to pitch in to help (most tracks have plenty of guys willing to do their part) jumps can be tilled and the clay/dirt moved to reconfigure to a new layout.

Wooden ramps don't hold up because folks like to step or walk on them and with time they are toast. As well, when turn marshaling it's easier to run/walk over dirt jumps where as with wooden ramps marshals would have to veer around them to get to vehicles.
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Tech Adept

i say that,make the track setup not so much about jumping and being airborne and make it more like go fast over bumps and turns!

IM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY JUMPS JUT NOT A LOT OF JUMPS<<<<this is just my opinion guys
oldernoob and realfast1 like this.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Off-Road is all about jumps and bumps and how well you can drive and navigate through all of that. The entire track doesn't have to feature jumps, but you definitely want several of them and you can mix in rhythm sections throughout that just disturb cars enough to keep drivers on their toes.

Most carpet tracks are like on-road with superior grip and jumps thrown in to say it's off-road, but it's not. The only great thing about carpet is cleanliness and not wearing down components as much as dirt. Clay is somewhere in between but closer to carpet than dirt.
rgrg2, dtr and realfast1 like this.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by MX304
As far as the dirt / carpet argument I say do both. Use a good clay for the base, then put carpeted wood jumps on it. Easy to change layout and consistent jump faces with the clay for straights and turns.
they kinda did something like this at our club before they went full turf, it was really interesting to run a combination of both surfaces because you had to be careful when carrying too much speed on the turf or you'd risk traction rolling, it was difficult to tune your car for the turf and for the clay... in the end I've grown to appreciate turf for far too many reasons when compared to clay.

realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also check out Beachline Raceway in FL. They are turf on a clay base. It makes the straights interesting as you can feel the bumps unter the turf. It's not sterile like a pure astro track, but clean and challenging with easy(easier) layout changes.
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GeekSpeed
Try somewhere in the valley. There is nothing between OCRC and Roadrunners, which is a shame. The IE already has several tracks. The LA/valley based drivers have a long way to go to get to anything.
San Fernando valley!!!
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Consider running on a week night... Wednesday was a good night till the flood washed our track
billdelong and realfast1 like this.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm a huge proponent of dirt tracks. Saying that, when they are indoors, you often run into problems of mold and mildew in the building as they need to remain moist. That leaves clay and even then hard packed and coated which eliminates moisture except during construction.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by realfast1

Just asking for opinions

Indoor Carpet Track

Or

Indoor Dirt/Clay Track

What do you guys think?
Here are my thoughts:

Indoor carpet as close to downtown Los Angeles as possible.
Incorporate onroad and off-road programs or two tracks (like the last iteration of SoCal r/c raceway or West Coast r/c)
On-site hobby shop
Online store
Buy the building and put solar panels on the roof to curb electricity costs
Have alternative revenue streams (*cough* a dispensary would be nice. ) to help pay for overhead costs
Latest my laps transponder
Comfortable pit chairs
Old 11-09-2017, 05:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by broitsseth
i say that,make the track setup not so much about jumping and being airborne and make it more like go fast over bumps and turns!

IM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY JUMPS JUT NOT A LOT OF JUMPS<<<<this is just my opinion guys
A bit off topic but worth mentioning in my opinion.

I totally agree with you: not too many jumps. Now the question is: how many jumps are too many? To me 2 or 3 jumps on a track are more than enough, to someone else too many means more than 3 per section... on every section.

One could argue a lot about it. Just as with the question dirt or carpet or "astro-clay".
broitsseth and realfast1 like this.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
Off-Road is all about jumps and bumps and how well you can drive and navigate through all of that. The entire track doesn't have to feature jumps, but you definitely want several of them and you can mix in rhythm sections throughout that just disturb cars enough to keep drivers on their toes.

Most carpet tracks are like on-road with superior grip and jumps thrown in to say it's off-road, but it's not. The only great thing about carpet is cleanliness and not wearing down components as much as dirt. Clay is somewhere in between but closer to carpet than dirt.
This was my problem racing in the UK. They have a severe aversion to jumps, as in a track might have a couple rollers and a elevated corner. Might as well have been racing TC at a few of the ones I visited.

The one that had nice jumps closed down unfortunately (Maritime RC).

Astro/carpet is nice though, quick easy layout changes instead of having the track down for a few days.
realfast1 likes this.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If I was going to open a track, I think I'd do carpet with wood jumps. From a business perspective you'll have a cleaner facility that is easier to keep clean. And you'll probably be able to get by with a cheaper property if you don't need to be able to haul in truck-loads of dirt. Plus, then you don't need a water system. If you get the demand for it, you could even double up with on-road racing.

If I was cash limited, I'd look into a "portable" track you could set-up and tear-down in public spaces like a school gym or an empty field in a park. Even if you have to pay a fee to rent a place for a day, it's probably still cheaper than owning/renting a dedicated property.
Cain and realfast1 like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.