Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HB Racing D418 - 1/10 4WD Buggy >

HB Racing D418 - 1/10 4WD Buggy

Like Tree156Likes

HB Racing D418 - 1/10 4WD Buggy

Old 12-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Last weekend I finished my D418 build and spent a day at the track doing a shakedown run. I have to say this buggy rips, much faster than I was expecting. Running 13.5 on high traction clay with slicks. I run TLR 22 4.0 buggy and stadium truck and decided to go with something a little different to try 4wd and am really glad I did. Also just ordered a center slipper to try out, running 100k in the center diff right now. I need 2 more posts and then Iíll throw up a picture!
Old 12-04-2018, 10:35 PM
Tech Adept

Looks like a few more of us have commited to this - would love to see it happen - MIP Puck system for the D418! Why let all the B64 and Tekno owners have the fun with their hop-ups? The # in stock for the pre-sale needs to get down to 0 for the puck system to go into production.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:45 AM
Tech Adept

Coulda used this two weeks ago - ha ha! Now there's a center lockout for the D418 from Exotek!

http://www.neobuggy.net/2018/12/05/exotek-d418-centre-spool-set/
Old 12-05-2018, 05:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just an FYI for people who are thinking about getting the slipper. There are small modifications you need to make to the center motor mount for the slipper to fit properly. You will need to chamfer the motor mount a little more as the slipper spur is moved forward a few millimeters from the original gear diff spur location. This location change also requires you to dremel some of the carbon chassis stiffener away for clearance when the diff is in the forward holes. Because the location of the spur gear is a few mm forward, the pinion on the motor does not entirely engage the spur. About half the pinion can engage the spur. At least with the pinions I use (AE, Losi). I would not use the recommended overall length measurement that HB includes in the assembly directions. This measurement pretty much collapses the spring entirely and locks the diff out for no slip. I found about a 1 turn out of the spring adjuster from the HB recommended starting length is a good starting point. For the slipper you won't need to use the shim for the front bearing as you do for the gear diff. When you adjust the tension on the slipper spring, this changes the overall length of the diff and bearing position as the rear bearing rides on an outdrive that keys onto the main slipper shaft assembly. Lastly, the weight difference between the gear diff and slipper is about 11 grams when weighed on a scale. I got to try the slipper out on our med-high bite indoor track and I felt that unless you run on extremely high bite clay or carpet, I would not waste your money on the slipper. Just my $.02 worth.
Jumbo_Jaque likes this.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I put the slipper in mine also and run on medium to high bite clay. I found that it was an overall improvement over the diff. I know on my XB4 the looser you ran the slipper the better it got which is what I did with the D418. More on power steering, car feels more dialed to me with lower lap times(car was already fast with the diff). I run my center mounts in the rear holes and I did have to make a small notch in the motor adapter plate so that you can access the pinion set screw and push the pinion back to get full engagement of the spur gear, also I omitted all three washers and put in my own for slipper adjustment. My new track will be high bite clay so I think the slipper is going to do very well...overall really liking the slipper.
Jumbo_Jaque likes this.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

I ordered the new Exotek center diff lock out for the D418. Once it is installed, I will report back on the performance.
Jumbo_Jaque likes this.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hereís mine on the first run
Originally Posted by meandeanr View Post
Last weekend I finished my D418 build and spent a day at the track doing a shakedown run. I have to say this buggy rips, much faster than I was expecting. Running 13.5 on high traction clay with slicks. I run TLR 22 4.0 buggy and stadium truck and decided to go with something a little different to try 4wd and am really glad I did. Also just ordered a center slipper to try out, running 100k in the center diff right now. I need 2 more posts and then Iíll throw up a picture!
Old 12-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Two questions. Ill be running 13.5 on carpet with the slipper. Seems like the set comes with a 70T spur. What pinion size should I start with? And second, Have anyone tried to run this car with the xray springs? I have an xray car but didn't crossed my mind to use the springs out of it until I read Ronnefalk's carpet set up in which he uses 4 dot front and 3 dot rear xray springs. Opinions?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TruggyDude91 View Post
I ordered the new Exotek center diff lock out for the D418. Once it is installed, I will report back on the performance.
I jumped on right away. Arrives today. What conditions is this good for I run on carpet Would it be worth a try? I also have a dedicated clay car that I can throw it in. Both 13.5
Old 12-11-2018, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JRSlash View Post
Two questions. Ill be running 13.5 on carpet with the slipper. Seems like the set comes with a 70T spur. What pinion size should I start with? And second, Have anyone tried to run this car with the xray springs? I have an xray car but didn't crossed my mind to use the springs out of it until I read Ronnefalk's carpet set up in which he uses 4 dot front and 3 dot rear xray springs. Opinions?
Suggesting a pinion size to start is going to depend on track size, run-up to jumps, etc. I would just do a simple ratio to compare your gearing before with the stock 72 tooth spur and match the same ratio to start with and go from there. Example, my gearing for 13.5 on my local track was 26/72 with stock gear diff. With the 70t spur on the slipper my gearing came out to 25/70 when doing a simple ratio to match the ratio before.
JRSlash likes this.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by czrlaker View Post
I jumped on right away. Arrives today. What conditions is this good for I run on carpet Would it be worth a try? I also have a dedicated clay car that I can throw it in. Both 13.5
The lock out is not meant for any specific conditions. Exotek made the lockout to reduce rotating mass on the drive train essentially allowing the car to spool up quicker and accelerate faster. Cheaper option than the MIP puck system. The lock out is the same idea that is used on 2wd stock buggies that use a locker instead of a slipper. Reduce rotating mass for faster acceleration and lighter drive train.
czrlaker and Jumbo_Jaque like this.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Jaque View Post
Looks like a few more of us have commited to this - would love to see it happen - MIP Puck system for the D418! Why let all the B64 and Tekno owners have the fun with their hop-ups? The # in stock for the pre-sale needs to get down to 0 for the puck system to go into production.

Is there a link for this? It wont come up in the seach on the MIP website. Or google.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TruggyDude91 View Post
The lock out is not meant for any specific conditions. Exotek made the lockout to reduce rotating mass on the drive train essentially allowing the car to spool up quicker and accelerate faster. Cheaper option than the MIP puck system. The lock out is the same idea that is used on 2wd stock buggies that use a locker instead of a slipper. Reduce rotating mass for faster acceleration and lighter drive train.
Thanks just curious how hard this will be on my drivetrain with such high grip, and if it's worth it Will install it today and run tomorrow just to see how it feels
Old 12-11-2018, 11:55 AM
Tech Adept

Is there a link for this? It wont come up in the seach on the MIP website. Or google.
Google " D418 puck system " First hit.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Tech Adept

https://modspeedshop.com/collections...k-system-f-c-r

It's being sold under MOD (Matt Olson Designs) - a spin-off business from the main MIP brand. Matt Olson is a MIP racer/employee who's putting out his own brand of MIP products (got this info from the website and the Facebook page for MOD. Its still authentic MIP gear.
raved007 and JRSlash like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service