R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Why I always leave this hobby (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1001206-why-i-always-leave-hobby.html)

johnmo 10-27-2017 01:32 PM

Why I always leave this hobby

So at 42 I'm coming back to this hobby for the 4th time. No stretch has ever been longer than 2 years. I love racing at my local track but the manufactures kill me everytime and 1 week in I'm alraeady feeling it.

I have a TLR 22 buggy (first Gen) and I lost a screw for the front wheel which is now obsolete. So i buy the 3.0 version which bolts right up, but now they have changed the hex size. Ok, so now i have $100 in wasted wheels and tires.
These things become Rabbit holes and I'm sure I'll find another problem when I buy the wheels.

I really hate to spend another $400 on a new kit and extras. I wish we were all still driving Old School RC10s.

Davidka 10-27-2017 01:39 PM

I changed this to her Screws with countersunk alloy washers because they're expensive, were sometimes lost, and I didn't care if the front and rear wheels used the same wrench.

I expect you probably had to make the choice to repair at the track, but you can probably find the old axles on eBay and save all of those wheels.

johnmo 10-27-2017 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Davidka (Post 15063469)
I changed this to her Screws with countersunk alloy washers because they're expensive, were sometimes lost, and I didn't care if the front and rear wheels used the same wrench.

Yeah, I know there are fixes and ways around the manufacturer's trap, but I don't like that game. There was no reason to change the size of the hex other than to insure everyone has to upgrade.

Troubles Dad 10-27-2017 01:46 PM

Well kinda welcome back, after 28 years of racing I can say that I have never left, but have seen them struggles, and what I have found is to ask the questions here on this site, people can find obsolete parts, or give you part numbers, as it will leave you scratching on where they found them, I would find the smaller axles for your car and keep with the tires you have, honestly if your looking for parts hit me up on some 1.0 parts or even cars as I have been updating my old to newer cars and struggle with clearing them out, good luck and all is not lost, just requires some questions and people will give you answers. :nod:

konasubs 10-27-2017 02:15 PM

I joined the hobby late at age 49 because of my son. He was quickly on to other things and I am totally addicted. I enjoy wrenching and practice sessions WAY more than racing humbly. To many folks that would rather take you out to move up one spot than hold a line and pass properly and hanging around for hours to run 30 minutes is difficult when you run a biz and have a family. Oh well....lol...I was a Losi guy from day one....BUT tried and have stayed with the AE B5m platform for the past 18months. Incredibly easy to work on, set up, and get parts that RARELY break. Many of my friends onto b6 or 22 4.0 but I LOVE simplicity and know about 4-6 adjustments not 15....IMHO try out a friends b5m if you have a chance. Cool thing is you can get a near new roller for under 150 and box stock set up makes you competitive and fine tune from there. Thanks for listening to my 2 cents worth of rambling and I hope you can find some enjoyment EVERYTIME you go out in the pits and on the track.....

platgof 10-27-2017 02:43 PM

Your whining, I have a bunch of Durangos. Try getting parts for them?

patrick 10-27-2017 02:45 PM

Absolutely unbelievable. It takes about 5 minutes to grind down 12mm hexes to 10mm. This is a hobby, sometimes you gotta figure stuff out.

mupchu 10-27-2017 02:59 PM

Well, aside from getting parts you should not feel compelled to get the latest and greatest. That said when you jumped in, I think it would have been wiser to get that latest model so you at least had parts. The old adage buy cheap buy twice comes to mind. I have been involved in RC at least 30 years and generally that is what you need to think through. Oddly enough though I remember a guy out at a track near you who could run circles around people with the latest and greatest car in a gold pan car.

You may not need the latest and greatest of everything but there is something to be said for parts availability.

HeavyD99 10-27-2017 03:03 PM

For $10 you could have bought the part on eBay, or bought another 1.0 for next to nothing and then had spares, or even switched to a longer screw and used a standard nut, or bought $10 worth of acetone and gotten the rubber off those old rims and just bought new wheels for your 3.0. Racing, even on a small scale requires up keep and maintenance, cars become obsolete, ties and parts wear out just like real racing, it's part of it all. But dude, really, you're whining. Go race, have fun.

tc5 man 10-27-2017 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by johnmo (Post 15063464)
So at 42 I'm coming back to this hobby for the 4th time. No stretch has ever been longer than 2 years. I love racing at my local track but the manufactures kill me everytime and 1 week in I'm alraeady feeling it.

I have a TLR 22 buggy (first Gen) and I lost a screw for the front wheel which is now obsolete. So i buy the 3.0 version which bolts right up, but now they have changed the hex size. Ok, so now i have $100 in wasted wheels and tires.
These things become Rabbit holes and I'm sure I'll find another problem when I buy the wheels.

I really hate to spend another $400 on a new kit and extras. I wish we were all still driving Old School RC10s.

Yea I get that man it’s typical 1/10 scale with that crap . 1:8 scale way diffrent story models and parts for years intill they are gone for good .

Davidka 10-27-2017 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by johnmo (Post 15063471)
Yeah, I know there are fixes and ways around the manufacturer's trap, but I don't like that game. There was no reason to change the size of the hex other than to insure everyone has to upgrade.

It was an interesting choice, as TLR front 2wd wheels aren't compatible with any other brand, anyway. When I got the 22 3.0, I built it with 10mm front hexes because I had a bunch of fronts..

billdelong 10-28-2017 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by johnmo (Post 15063471)

I had the inverse problem... I first bought the 3.0 kit and didn't know they changed to 12mm hex and had just mounted some TLR22 wheels before I learned they were older 10mm hexes.. argh!

Anyway I think the standards were set by IFMAR so you can blame them for this one:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...es-2016-a.html

I would personally like to see all 1/10 buggies adhere to a standard offset just like the 1/8 classes!

Roelof 10-28-2017 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by patrick (Post 15063511)
Absolutely unbelievable. It takes about 5 minutes to grind down 12mm hexes to 10mm. This is a hobby, sometimes you gotta figure stuff out.

Right, this a technical hobby so you have to be a bit technical too.

TonyD. 10-28-2017 05:45 AM

why not just buy an up to date buggy to begin with? The list goes on. Then you wouldn't have these issues.:lol:

Dualstroke 10-28-2017 06:18 AM

It is a tough game to try and race a vehicle that parts have been discontinued for. You either need to adapt to using different manufacturers parts, modifying whats available, or buy an up to date platform. I enjoy building and modifying my rc's so it's a non issue with me. If you only like to run/race them then it's time for an upgrade. I too own a bunch of durango's. I have spent more money on parts lately to protect my investment rather than loose and sell it for a loss. It's a decision that we need to make in the hobby. Don't let parts support ruin the hobby for you. Make the best of it, have fun every time you go out, ask locals/forums for help and you will enjoy it much more.