R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Losi Shock Matching Tool (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/100076-losi-shock-matching-tool.html)

jim beam 01-31-2006 06:20 PM

Losi Shock Matching Tool

Hi folks, just after any input regarding the Losi shock matcher. I seem to have difficulty in building 2 x shocks that feel the same and was wondering if this device mite be worthwhile purchasing.

SlobbaTech 01-31-2006 07:16 PM

I think it is great and a lot more accurate than calipers for doing up/down travel matching between shocks. However for myself I have not had great success with using the tool when comparing say one shock with 30/56 and another shock with 25/57 to see/learn what's different. I already know what all the shock changes do well enough. There are a number of people that do and have success with the tool for rebound and shock changes that they are making.

o.s. power 01-31-2006 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by SlobbaTech
However for myself I have not had great success with using the tool when comparing say one shock with 30/56 and another shock with 25/57 to see/learn what's different.

that's not the point of the matching tool. The whole point of the tool is to make sure your pistons and shafts move at the same rate in the bodies. You do this with no oil in the shocks. If one piston encounters resistance it could make for an odd handling car.

I have one and quite honestly I think it is useless. At least for offroad. You might see a benefit for onroad, but not that I can see for offroad. If you are a perfectionist, you might like it, but for me it took much time.

Jim beam if you want mine I will sell it to you, pm me.

jamescam 01-31-2006 08:26 PM

I have the tool and use it all the time. For the money it is ideal for not only check to make sure both your shocks are the same length but also ensuring that they have similiar compression & rebound.

Trixter 02-03-2006 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by jamescam
I have the tool and use it all the time. For the money it is ideal for not only check to make sure both your shocks are the same length but also ensuring that they have similiar compression & rebound.

I have one too and am glad I do. Each time I do a rebuild I check the two front, and then the two rear, and qiute a few times thay are a little different in rebound time, and distance, so I am able to fix the problem and they perform the same. Makes my trucks more predictable on the track.

I like it a lot and glad that I bought it!

mremtr 02-03-2006 09:28 AM

I have one as well ,and I use it to check length and after a rebuild I check the damping and rebound as well , I think it works great ! If you are not good at building shocks this tool can definately show you how messed up your shocks are LOL . IT even works great for testing the peload on your springs and see if one is a bit stiffer than the other so you can adjust accordingly.
Especially great for the front shocks on the zx5 as it has steering from hell , and things can get pretty hairy if not ajusted properly. This car is a rocket ! I have found that it gets very easy to drive when the frontend is nice and uniform from side to side.