Like Tree11Likes

Pinion gears..

Old 12-07-2017, 09:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Whatever pinion you boy they should use M3 screws.
Reason: if a 1.5 mm driver is jumping in the the hex, just use the 1/16 driver which is 1.6mm to easily get rid of that worn grub screw.

Cruise
Old 12-07-2017, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We run Robinson pinions. 1/16" driver. A little more surface area to grab onto. And we use the blue gel Loctite in the "chapstik tube". Does the job but releases fasteners when you need them to come out.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bubbaslash View Post
We run Robinson pinions. 1/16" driver. A little more surface area to grab onto. And we use the blue gel Loctite in the "chapstik tube". Does the job but releases fasteners when you need them to come out.
I've never used loctite on a pinion gear
Old 12-07-2017, 10:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't feel loctite should be needed on pinion.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Hands001 View Post
Don't feel loctite should be needed on pinion.
I used to feel the same when I first got into racing... but when you throw a couple pinions during a race (especially a main) then you start to learn how important thread lock is... I've also learned that gel works better than liquid and will also use an alcohol swab to clean both surfaces by driving the screw through the swab and into the pinion first to get it nice and clean before applying thread lock... I also use a micro torch for 5 seconds to melt the glue when I need to remove any screws to eliminate any risk of stripping heads.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Good stuff Bill
Old 12-08-2017, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ive used the chapstick type of loctite on gear sets and never had a prob. Its kind of a step between liquid and nothing,lol Holds, but not so tight I need to heat it. Oh yeah, blue.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

and that tube lasts forever!
Old 12-10-2017, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I used to feel the same when I first got into racing... but when you throw a couple pinions during a race (especially a main) then you start to learn how important thread lock is... I've also learned that gel works better than liquid and will also use an alcohol swab to clean both surfaces by driving the screw through the swab and into the pinion first to get it nice and clean before applying thread lock... I also use a micro torch for 5 seconds to melt the glue when I need to remove any screws to eliminate any risk of stripping heads.
I started racing in 1990 and I've never lost a pinion from not using loctite on the set screw. I have lost other metal to metal screws back before I used loctite but never a pinion. I do like the tip about the micro torch.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

sooooo what is the consensus on setting mesh. Nitro guy going to electric, reading a lot of different methods. So the paper method will work?
Old 03-28-2018, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
sooooo what is the consensus on setting mesh. Nitro guy going to electric, reading a lot of different methods. So the paper method will work?
Paper method will work on everything except the larger pinions like Mod1. For those I set manually. Though you could also double up the paper and get pretty close to ideal on Mod1
Old 03-28-2018, 02:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

double folded paper works 100% on Mod 1 that's about the only gears i run.
ta_man likes this.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
double folded paper works 100% on Mod 1 that's about the only gears i run.
I do the same. I run Losi Mod 1 plastic spur gears, which in my area a lot of guys are scared of, due to stripping, and go to metal spur gears on their eBuggies. I've always used the double paper method across all brands and have never stripped out a plastic spur gear with this method. Consistent and quick to set/reset as gears wear.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vwduud View Post
I do the same. I run Losi Mod 1 plastic spur gears, which in my area a lot of guys are scared of, due to stripping, and go to metal spur gears on their eBuggies. I've always used the double paper method across all brands and have never stripped out a plastic spur gear with this method. Consistent and quick to set/reset as gears wear.
They're scared because they can't mesh gears apparently lol. I've also kept plastic pinions on my 1/8 kits and never stripped. Just like with the eb410 guys killing gears, it's all in the mesh
Old 03-29-2018, 04:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For what it is worth I have been using MIP tools since the 1990's. Presently, I own two newly purchased 2.0 mm MIP tools, one older Dynamite 2.0, and now 1 Arrowmax 2.0 mm tool. As I have stated the MIP tools are near new. I have found that the MIP tools are smaller than the Dynamite and Arroxmax tools. Hence, I will use my Arroxmax when a screw is a bit loose fitting. This has saved me countless numbers of times in order to get a screw out that has play in it with the MIP tool. Experienced racers know that it is time consuming to get out a stripped or loose screw. FYI I always replace suspect screws..... I have had my Dynamite tool for many years and thought it was an anomaly, and used it only for loose fitting screws because I did not want to wear it out. I am now of the belief that the MIP tools are not quite the same snug fit as Arrowmax or Dynamite. If you own all MIP tools I recommend purchasing a couple of Arrowmax tools, or at least compare tools on a screw from other racers at your track. One will be amazed at the differences in play with the screw heads with different tools. FYI I own about 7 MIP tools..... I posted this to help others......

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service