Beginner drag car build

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sps3172
  • 1 Post By Nineball

Beginner drag car build

Old 11-25-2022, 05:38 AM
Tech Adept

Default Beginner drag car build

Anyone try a team associated dr10 with losi 22s drag car esc and motor and battery combo? What gearing should I run with that setup?

Last edited by Yojih123; 11-25-2022 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

I know with the Dr10 with stock electronics, its geared for 3s. I went with a smaller spur and a bigger pinion.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by roadrashracing2 View Post
I know with the Dr10 with stock electronics, its geared for 3s. I went with a smaller spur and a bigger pinion.
The reason for the losi 22s drag car motor and ESC and battery is because of being the most powerful on 2s between Traxxas drag slash and losi 22s drag car and then the team associated dr10 is the lightest between the three

Last edited by Yojih123; 11-27-2022 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:21 AM
Tech Regular

For a beginner, you'd be better off just getting the losi and learning. Im not sure if the box stock classes would allow part swapping (even to other stock parts). Swapping out slow electronics for slightly less slow electronics wont get you anywhere.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nineball View Post
For a beginner, you'd be better off just getting the losi and learning. Im not sure if the box stock classes would allow part swapping (even to other stock parts). Swapping out slow electronics for slightly less slow electronics wont get you anywhere.
Sadly, the 'national' rules proposed by NPRC and mirrored by many local clubs allow the parts swapping game. They refer to the class as 'box stock' but allow you to swap electronics, tires. bodies....provided you choose from one of the 3 RTR options. Once guys learn the ins and outs of the 3 RTR cars, this class will become the AE chassis/Losi Electronics/Traxxas tire class. It seems like most of the people 'running' the RC no prep scene (on local and national levels) have little to no experience with RC racing....they come from a full scale drag race background. Those of us that have been around RC racing for a while recognize all the mistakes they make with the rules and racing and we also know how the story ultimately ends.

Rick Vessell likes this.

Last edited by sps3172; 11-28-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sps3172 View Post
Sadly, the 'national' rules proposed by NPRC and mirrored by many local clubs allow the parts swapping game. They refer to the class as 'box stock' but allow you to swap electronics, tires. bodies....provided you choose from one of the 3 RTR options. Once guys learn the ins and outs of the 3 RTR cars, this class will become the AE chassis/Losi Electronics/Traxxas tire class. It seems like most of the people 'running' the RC no prep scene (on local and national levels) have little to no experience with RC racing....they come from a full scale drag race background. Those of us that have been around RC racing for a while recognize all the mistakes they make with the rules and racing and we also know how the story ultimately ends.

The manufacturers that are involved (and actually DO have experience with RC racing) seem willing to participate in the mismanagement of this segment provided it allows them to make more sales in the short term.
So would this setup work for rc no prep drag racing team associated dr10 with their batteries in remote control and then spektrum 2S 7.6v 8000mAh 120C smart pro race hardcase LiHV battery tube's 5mm and then spektrum S2200 G2 AC 2x200W Smart Charger then Firma 100A Brushless Smart ESC, 3S and then Smart ESC Programming Update Box: Avian and Firma then Firma 6500Kv Brushless Motor then finally Traxxas BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain 6871R
What gearing should I try first?

Last edited by Yojih123; 11-28-2022 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

Well, first of all, 3s on the Losi 6500kv is generally a no-no. If that's what people are doing, I guess... but 6500kv @ 12.6v is ~82k rpm... I'm really not sure that motor is rated for above 75k rpm. I run my vendetta on 4s with the stock motor (3900kv @ 16.8v = 65.5k rpm) but it stays under 75k rpm. Honestly, 2s on the Losi motor is plenty. We have a guy locally who runs a drag slash on 2s and has been spanking a bunch of 3s drag slashes.

For drag racing you need two basic things:
  • High KV: for top-end power
  • Steep gearing: to get to top-end fast
Running a sensorless motor like the Losi 6500kv means you have to be a bit picky about gears. Too much spur and you'll top out slow; too much pinion and you'll never get to speed. That's where you have to do the experimenting.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is... you'll have more luck with 2s (more headroom for rpm, gearing effects power more directly) than 3s (very touchy, wheelie-happy, and inconsistent).

...and wtf is with the traxxas rubber? I'll admit, it may be the softest/stickiest out of the stock choices, but wide tires aren't ideal at this scale. Get over 45mph and they start to do funny things. Plus, traxxas tires are notorious for failing quick. Truth be told, those 3s drag slash guys are actually running stock slash tires (the bf Goodrich tread) with considerable luck.
PapaGeno21 likes this.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:44 PM
Tech Adept

Well, first of all, 3s on the Losi 6500kv is generally a no-no. If that's what people are doing, I guess... but 6500kv @ 12.6v is ~82k rpm... I'm really not sure that motor is rated for above 75k rpm. I run my vendetta on 4s with the stock motor (3900kv @ 16.8v = 65.5k rpm) but it stays under 75k rpm. Honestly, 2s on the Losi motor is plenty. We have a guy locally who runs a drag slash on 2s and has been spanking a bunch of 3s drag slashes.

Running a sensorless motor like the Losi 6500kv means you have to be a bit picky about gears. Too much spur and you'll top out slow; too much pinion and you'll never get to speed. That's where you have to do the experimenting.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is... you'll have more luck with 2s (more headroom for rpm, gearing effects power more directly) than 3s (very touchy, wheelie-happy, and inconsistent).

...and wtf is with the traxxas rubber? I'll admit, it may be the softest/stickiest out of the stock choices, but wide tires aren't ideal at this scale. Get over 45mph and they start to do funny things. Plus, traxxas tires are notorious for failing quick. Truth be told, those 3s drag slash guys are actually running stock slash tires (the bf Goodrich tread) with considerable luck.
so these https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6871R
Old 11-29-2022, 05:21 AM
Tech Adept

what things should I get for before making a pass and during a pass? What accessories do you recommend from skyrc for no prep rc drag racing? But then I for sure will need gauge's for castor and toe.