Search

DR10M Performance vs Purpose Built Cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 06:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default DR10M Performance vs Purpose Built Cars

Good morning all. First, I’m not sure I worded the title correctly but I am new to NPRC (but 30 years in other forms of racing) and want to build a nice Street Eliminator class car over the winter. My question is: how does the DR10M stack up from a performance as compared to cars like Maxim, GFRP, etc? I like the readily available parts and options from AE but it’s not a deal breaker if there is a significant performance difference.

I truly hope this doesn’t turn into a flame war on various kits, I’m just looking for a “Hey, the DR10M is good enough to get you going and is relatively close in performance” or a “You really should just pick a custom made car since there is a performance difference”

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:51 AM
Tech Regular

The DR10M is great. Factory team drivers have taken it to semifinals at a few events. I asked the crew at Five Star what they intended to do with the chassis, and the consensus was there was nothing much to do. It can't fit the larger square pack batteries, but that's about it.

Despite being "purpose built" cars, the rest are all technically B6's. All of them started life as a B6 conversion (DRC, R1, GFRP, Five Star) but have slowly changed over to having bespoke transmissions, shocks, a-arms, etc.

If you dont already know, the DR10M is mostly a B5M. The B5 started as a rear motor car, while the B6 has always been mid motor. So the B6 is a little bit "better" designed, in the sense that they didn't have to adapt a different style of transmission to an existing car. Overall, I wouldn't say that makes or breaks it.

I would buy a DR10M for my next drag car, for sure. But I already have a B6.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

This is great information and exactly what I was looking for, thanks for taking time to reply!
Old 10-13-2022, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nineball
... The B5 started as a rear motor car, while the B6 has always been mid motor. So the B6 is a little bit "better" designed, in the sense that they didn't have to adapt a different style of transmission to an existing car ...
Actually, the B5 and the B5m were introduced almost simultaneously about 8 years ago so there really wasn't any 'adapting' to a different style transmission, the mid motor 5 series trans was used all through that platform run ... the 'original' 5m was the 4-gear trans case, which is still used in the DR10m (with internal 'upgrades' to alloys) ...

One benefit of the other 'purpose built' cars, would be if they use the B6.1 (6.x) trans case, and its different configurations, with the 'quick access' design to replace/service diff without needing to remove/disassemble the entire case ...
Old 01-23-2023, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default DR10 M

I just built one this winter and added speed secret bearing tranny smooth as butter and no drag, just take time build and add pro line shocks and set go.