Default New Dr10M kit from Team Associated

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...race-team-kit/
chucko likes this.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:21 PM
Tech Adept

Of course right when I buy a dr10 🤦🏼‍♂️
Old 04-01-2022, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

It is April Fools Day, so I'm very skeptical. But this is basically the OG B6 4-gear standup transmission so those are off-the-shelf parts. The custom chassis is where I'd say they might be making a joke... but then, that's a lot more work than photoshopping the 6-tec or Felony limo.

I have had this very idea before, notably the bit about motor rotation counteracting wheelie-ing. If this is real, I'd be very interested to see how it does.

Edit: it's basically a B5M with an elongated chassis. Not bad, not really new.

Last edited by Nineball; 04-02-2022 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2022, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Its real kit drag car, John Shultz from AE is running it at KOTS in Vegas.
jtodd57 likes this.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Couple observations from the pics, although things may change by release time ... this appears to be using the V2 4-gear trans case from the later run of the B5m Team Kit and T5m/SC5m (only with the gear diff instead of the ball diff), so it should be all 5 series/DR10/SR10/Pro SC10/etc and aftermarket internals compatible ... threaded body shocks and collars are there, but both caps appear to be same as used on the blue shock bodies from the other cars that share the platform (not breather caps) ... an interesting sight, is 66mm CVA Bones, which have generally been equipment seen on 4WD offerings ... compared to the 65mm stock on the DR10, possibly stronger avoiding the breakage issue?
TeamX151 and 8T like this.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:51 PM
Tech Regular

Considering some DR10 parts are already listed as options for the B5 and B5M, I'd think there are a lot of cross compatible old parts on this new car. Expect the aftermarket to start firing up production of some old parts...
8T likes this.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Wanted to get a dr10 might as well wait for this one. Looks nice
Old 04-26-2022, 04:15 PM
LCG
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I saw it at KOTS. If I was in the market or new to drag racing I would recomend this car. I have three b6.2 chassis and had a Dr20. been at drag racing for two years.
TeamX151 likes this.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:20 PM
Tech Regular

It's a shot in the dark here, probably have better luck in the B5 post, but anyway...

Since these are recycled designs, and there is some cross compatibility to the parts... I've seen there was a standup 4-gear for the OG B6, but that seems to be gone since they changed the rear ball stud mount. It appears as if the transmission mount holes in the chassis are very similar, and everything necessary should be present on a B6-6.3?

I'm curious about just using the transmission on my B6.2 based car. More curious if someone makes a laydown 4-gear, but I can wait. I'm ready for this car and all the parts that come with it. Lets gooooo....
Old 05-01-2022, 04:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Nineball View Post
It's a shot in the dark here, probably have better luck in the B5 post, but anyway...

Since these are recycled designs, and there is some cross compatibility to the parts... I've seen there was a standup 4-gear for the OG B6, but that seems to be gone since they changed the rear ball stud mount. It appears as if the transmission mount holes in the chassis are very similar, and everything necessary should be present on a B6-6.3?

I'm curious about just using the transmission on my B6.2 based car. More curious if someone makes a laydown 4-gear, but I can wait. I'm ready for this car and all the parts that come with it. Lets gooooo....
I just retired my old 5M based car into a 13.5, and unfortunately the bolt patterns are far enough off to not bolt up, but close enough to make drilling new holes a sketchy proposition. I laid my 6 series gearbox spacer over a laydown 3 gear designed for a 5M to give you an idea of how close but far they are. Unfortunately, with both being stl files, its a bit difficult to make things out. The 5M has a slightly narrower but longer bolt pattern. (Also unfortunately, I can't post images yet, so I can PM it to you to post if you'd like)

I am working on a standup 4 gear for the 6 series, which may morph into a layback/laydown style if I have to start moving weight forward
Old 05-02-2022, 05:51 AM
Tech Regular

Dang. And if they're too close, there isnt much hope for an adapter plate either. Oh well.

I like what AC RC has... https://www.shapeways.com/product/FE...09731&li=shops
Old 05-11-2022, 01:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Toaster556 View Post
I just retired my old 5M based car into a 13.5, and unfortunately the bolt patterns are far enough off to not bolt up, but close enough to make drilling new holes a sketchy proposition. I laid my 6 series gearbox spacer over a laydown 3 gear designed for a 5M to give you an idea of how close but far they are. Unfortunately, with both being stl files, its a bit difficult to make things out. The 5M has a slightly narrower but longer bolt pattern. (Also unfortunately, I can't post images yet, so I can PM it to you to post if you'd like)

I am working on a standup 4 gear for the 6 series, which may morph into a layback/laydown style if I have to start moving weight forward
The plot thickens. AE released a parts list, which lists the gearbox as P/N 72046, which is visually identical to the V2 5M box (91552) other than the material. Could it have a different pattern?
Old 05-17-2022, 09:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

I bought that AC RC tranny case about a year ago. Fit and finish was horrible. I wouldnt go that route.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I built the kit. Very familiar after a couple of B6 buggies and an SC5M. I'm trying to decide on motor and ESC. It seems every brand is on the verge of 4 pole motors and high current ESCs. I still have to get wheels, tires and a body. I'd like to run before fall, but not sure if it will be ready.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:20 PM
Tech Initiate

I like my DR10M, but it has 2 problems.

1- The rear body mount is fragile. On the first practice night out I broke both of the rear body posts, I never had a problem with the DR10 posts. I used DR10 post as replacements. Then on the first race night the V shaped mount broke. Yes, I have been putting the 10M on its lid a lot, but no more than the DR10 and I haven't broken a body mount on it. I don't know about the front posts because I installed pan car body posts from the start.

2- I don't like how the wheelie bar mounts to the car. Once you have tires on the DR10M you can't get a hex driver to the screws which makes adjusting the bar a pain. You have to fiddle with L allen wrenches or take the rear tires off every time you adjust the bar.

I'm trying to figure out other options for both.