Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Nineball

Front Splitters

Old 01-02-2022, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Default Front Splitters

Just got done remaking my front splitter from last year. I think I had some good experience with it, or at least the wear on the old one shows it was working mostly as intended. Tended to act like an anchor, so I've lifted the front end a bit. Do they work? Yes. Do they help? I dont know.

8T, jmike, Antimullet and 1 others like this.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes, splitters help. They create more downforce, smoothen the airflow around the car, and create a lower drag coefficient.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:14 PM
Tech Rookie

It looks very cool, did you make the parts yourself or printed them on a 3d printer?
Old 06-29-2022, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ArturoWelch View Post
It looks very cool, did you make the parts yourself or printed them on a 3d printer?
Just some thick lexan from home depot. My LHS has some thin (~1mm) lexan but it flexes too much at speed. This setup uses ~3mm lexan.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:59 PM
Tech Rookie

its thicker then the one on the bitty design body's and that works out
Old 11-28-2022, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bigeyefpv View Post
its thicker then the one on the bitty design body's and that works out
Yeeeeah... those aren't splitters. Front spoilers? Spoiler lips?

An actual splitter has more effect on the bottom of the car than the nose/top. That's why my design goes all the way back to the A arms. Rules designate that it can only extend 1/2" beyond the bumper/body (and although more would have an effect), but that really doesn't matter as much as the underside... at least with full size cars. But I did make a 2.1s pass without a wheelie bar once (I have yet to repeat it).

That said, it's all about crash protection now. I got to see Bob Hamilton rip the front bulkhead off his car in a bad wreck in person. Then I saw the aftermath photos of Todd Soltero's wreck at the smokies... I'm going to move up to some m4 screws and the splitter definitely stays.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nineball View Post
Yeeeeah... those aren't splitters. Front spoilers? Spoiler lips?

An actual splitter has more effect on the bottom of the car than the nose/top. That's why my design goes all the way back to the A arms. Rules designate that it can only extend 1/2" beyond the bumper/body (and although more would have an effect), but that really doesn't matter as much as the underside... at least with full size cars. But I did make a 2.1s pass without a wheelie bar once (I have yet to repeat it).

That said, it's all about crash protection now. I got to see Bob Hamilton rip the front bulkhead off his car in a bad wreck in person. Then I saw the aftermath photos of Todd Soltero's wreck at the smokies... I'm going to move up to some m4 screws and the splitter definitely stays.
Is there a descent way to incorporate a splitter into a setup with a floating front body mount? It seems like having the body resting on the bumper area is an integral part of the splitter?
Old 01-05-2023, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sps3172 View Post
Is there a descent way to incorporate a splitter into a setup with a floating front body mount? It seems like having the body resting on the bumper area is an integral part of the splitter?
It's kind of a one-or-the-other thing. Some would argue that the floating mount up front isn't necessary (and it certainly does have less effect than the rear). You could maybe attach a piece of lexan underneath the front body that wouldn't attach to the bumper, but float with the body and still cover up the area to control air flow. Although you would complicate the body mounting a lot, it would be like putting a plastic sock on your car every time.