• 2 Post By rskoncepts
  • 1 Post By Nineball
  • 1 Post By rskoncepts
  • 1 Post By MattK43

Air filled tires

Old 12-14-2021, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

Default Air filled tires

Seems like we're scraping the bottom of the performance barrel and everyone is looking for the next gimmick to get a tenth of a second. There haven't been any new developments since the DRK's multi-stage timing, so I guess this is what we're left to get excited about. What do y'all think?

I don't see the point, since running low PSI is typical for full scale drag cars, and at scale we're talking about significantly less than what I'm hearing people are filling their tires to. I'm a fan of my foamless reactions, but I hear there are other advantages to the air pressure.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:59 PM
8T
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nineball View Post
Seems like we're scraping the bottom of the performance barrel and everyone is looking for the next gimmick to get a tenth of a second. There haven't been any new developments since the DRK's multi-stage timing, so I guess this is what we're left to get excited about. What do y'all think?

I don't see the point, since running low PSI is typical for full scale drag cars, and at scale we're talking about significantly less than what I'm hearing people are filling their tires to. I'm a fan of my foamless reactions, but I hear there are other advantages to the air pressure.
I've run just about everything. Foamless Reactions are my mainstay right now. Air has too many issues....constantly filling tiny holes, hoping the superglue will keep them closed, constantly fixing leaks in the sidewalls. It's not worth the extra 1/10 of a second to me. Keeping the car running straight is more important to me than traction is right now. I really liked the Voodoo's but im not going to go that way because of the way they treat their customers. There are a few other companies that are going to release some new tires after the 1st that will be as good if not better than the Voodoo's. So, for me....no air, no Voodoo's and im still running sub 2 seconds. I see far too many folks chasing something that's the "new" thing, but their actually better of refining what they already have. Most, can't even go straight, do that first!!
TheRealDeal likes this.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I've been running foamless Reactions also. I do have a set of air Reactions that I haven't tested yet. However, I just tried Reactions with foams for the first time on a car I test last week on foamless Reactions. With no changes, the car couldn't run without pulling a stupid hard wheelie on the launch and down the track. I have to go back and work on the tune because of this. The Reactions with foams feel like an aired tire. Like 8T said, it is a bit of a humbug to keep the pressure consistent. I do prep and condition the tires but I have to really take a good look at the foam tires. Voodoos is another story that isn't worth your time.
8T and TheRealDeal like this.
Old 12-17-2021, 05:15 AM
Tech Adept

I hear a lot about the voodoos.. but all I know is that they're not synthetic rubber. So I'm not surprised if they're not working the ways that people are expecting. I'm more curious about the DRC axis belted tires, since they appear to have the side ribbing like the reactions used to before the horizon buyout.
8T likes this.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

The problem with voodoos is not the tire as it is very desired enough that people pay upwards of 2x the price. The problem is the frustration of getting them. I'm ordering the DRC tires soon to try them. Yes, I liked the older reactions without the ribbing. But it is what it is until others like the DRC are readily available. More testing this weekend I hope as rain is expected. Have a great and safe weekend!
8T likes this.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rskoncepts View Post
I've been running foamless Reactions also. I do have a set of air Reactions that I haven't tested yet. However, I just tried Reactions with foams for the first time on a car I test last week on foamless Reactions. With no changes, the car couldn't run without pulling a stupid hard wheelie on the launch and down the track. I have to go back and work on the tune because of this. The Reactions with foams feel like an aired tire. Like 8T said, it is a bit of a humbug to keep the pressure consistent. I do prep and condition the tires but I have to really take a good look at the foam tires. Voodoos is another story that isn't worth your time.
This is what happened to me, i had to trash the reaction foam tire set and just stayed foam less!! FOAMLESS FTW
Old 12-23-2021, 06:31 PM
Tech Adept

Well, IMO, I think Jconcepts has better foams and Proline has the better tires. I had some great luck with foamless belted hotties for 3 runs before the belts came apart from the tire. I like my reactions, but only because they're MY reactions, broken in after a season of prep, burnouts, and cleaning/conditioning. Junk tires out of the bag, perfect when you beat them up.
Old 12-27-2021, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Yup agreed Nineball. I've remounted used tires to try different configurations. That way I don't have to go through the break in process over and over again. Waiting for next test session after the rains.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have 2 sets of foamless Reactions on standard Proline wheels in great shape if someone is interested. Have switched to foams and air for this year.
bigjerry likes this.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:11 PM
Tech Adept

So when you guys say foam-less, your talking about an empty tire on the rim. Building my first car and I was going to glue up a set of reaction+ soon. Recommendation is to leave the foam out? (Slash conversion, if that matters)
Old 01-10-2022, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmike View Post
So when you guys say foam-less, your talking about an empty tire on the rim. Building my first car and I was going to glue up a set of reaction+ soon. Recommendation is to leave the foam out? (Slash conversion, if that matters)
I've been running foamless Reactions and just tried putting the foam back in (as well as air). When I took my initial pass with the foam tire, it kept pulling the front tires. No change in car or tire routine. Which means more bite from start through the run. I haven't gone out since then because of weather but will probably get out there this weekend. I've never used Reaction+ because of the thought of more weight and not necessarily more tire patch. I do use the wide rims with the regular Reactions. Not saying foam and air are better. Just saying I was really surprised at the initial result. More tuning is needed for me. I also have a Slash conversion and a DR10. All stock tubs. No expert and have only gone 2.4s with a 4.5T (not much tune in it yet) with the foamless Reactions.