Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Drag Racing Forum
New Traxxas Magnum 272R Transmission/Drag Race concepts mid motor transmission case >

New Traxxas Magnum 272R Transmission/Drag Race concepts mid motor transmission case

New Traxxas Magnum 272R Transmission/Drag Race concepts mid motor transmission case

Old 10-13-2021, 08:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New Traxxas Magnum 272R Transmission/Drag Race concepts mid motor transmission case

Hi yall.

I'm hoping hear from someone who has already bought these transmissions and can give me a technical answer. I need to know the diameter of the differential in the magnum 272R that comes in a drag slash. I also need to know much room is inside the DRC mid motor mount transmission case.

My reason is a simple one. In my opinion for a mid motor mount transmission the best case option is the drag race concepts mid motor case. It's relatively new, but would save from flipping cases around for a mid motor mount. The other thing is however is DRC sells it to reuse the gears inside a stock transmission. Meaning straight-cut gears instead of bevel cut gears. In my opinion bevel cut is the way to cut because they are stronger.

So my hope is that the 272R differential $49.99 will fit into the Drag race concepts mid motor mount transmission
Part#: DRC-10002 $69.99 at amainhobbies.com. $110 for diff and case is pricey but if it would fit it would be the toughest transmission available.

So anyone with the diff throw me a measurement please? If I have to ill buy both myself to find out. But would be nice to find out ahead of time. I've contacted both DRC and traxxas to try to get measurements already and neither would comply. Go figure.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I've got the new Traxxas diff. Will measure soon and post.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Here are some pics which might help you assess the situation (the black diff is the new one, the white diff is the old one).

The measurements I took were:
diameter: old 32.75mm, new 32.7
yoke to yoke: old 42.4mm, new 42.9
Thickness from top cover to bottom cover: old 15mm, new 17mm

Note that my measurements definitely had inaccuracy, probably upwards of 1mm.

I also tested the old and the new diffs in the new case. The old diff rotates smoothly but of course has the wrong bearings on the output yoke and doesn't get locked into place in the new gearbox. The new diff has 15mm outside diameter bearings vs 11mm for the old diff, so there's a major issue there in terms of fitting into gearboxes designed for the old diff.