Like Tree14Likes

Traxxas Mud boss

Old 06-15-2024, 05:16 AM
Regional Moderator

Traxxas mudboss. Mud falcon would have been a better name.
Bud and Kregger like this.
Old 06-15-2024, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It'll be all over the map and it isn't a mudboss and it won't fit into the mudboss class. There's already a fair amount of variability in the mudboss class by track and through Steve's development of "legal" bodies and inner panels.

Traxxas' mistake was using the name mudboss, but I figure they wanted the click presence on google when someone types mudboss. They built a good entry level spec option which isn't a bad thing.

Where does it fit? All over the place.

At many tracks it'll be come a RTR spec class similar to what the SR10 did before AE messed that up and discontinued the car. Box stock, spec battery, stock tires, etc. It's a good thing from that standpoint and nicely supplements the slash street stock class. I do wonder if they have a street stock version up their sleeve which would be good and bad at the same time.

In many cases, it'll takeover and the mudboss class will dwindle.

At tracks with good mudboss classes and SC B Mod classes, it'll likely get grouped into B-mod.

At our track, where I RD, I'm not 100% sure yet. We don't have a mudboss class and we don't have a SC B mod class though I'd like to see one going. This could be the easy way to get there. For now, whatever comes will be a combined SC B Mod class, perhaps with a motor limit. For weekly club races, we likely won't have a SC Mod class even though there are a ton of SCT trucks sitting out there. My guess is we'll do a spec class and for big races allow B-Mods with a motor limit.

Like I said, all over the place.
Old 06-15-2024, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silverbullet555
Traxxas' mistake was using the name mudboss...
I've seen a lot of people state that and a lot of them don't appear to be happy with the name Traxxas chose for this release. I assume Traxxas used the name, because people like me who don't know any better wouldn't know the difference between this release and an actual Mudboss. Both of them look the same to me, but again I don't know anything about this type of car and I don't even know the difference between a Mid West/East Coast Modified. I live on the West Coast and don't remember seeing anything that resembles this body style at the oval races I've been to.

This release appeals to me because it appears to be robust and I assume that due to that it will take a fair amount of abuse on the track, which is great for someone like me who has never raced oval. It also appeals to me, because it will make a great platform for a Baja basher due to the upgrades that Traxxas included if I decide oval isn't my thing.

The HD upgrade kit and tranny cost $100 each, plus with the addition of the GT shocks in my opinion makes this release a tremendous value and the fact that you can drop it on a track right out of the box makes it that much more of a value. For $500 a newb has everything they need to go racing and I think that's awesome. If more manufactures offered similar releases for the various race classes, I think the racing segment of this hobby would grow due to a much lower cost of entry.

I hope this release follows the same path as the SCT Slash and tracks/Race Directors add a box stock class to their programs for it. I also have hopes of seeing no prep oval become a thing like it did with the drags. A no prep oval track is so cheap and easy to make, super simple to set up and tear down, easy to transport, and most of the tracks appear to be pretty small in comparison to on road courses, which should make finding a venue to run no prep a bit easier.

A cool thing about no prep oval would be the ability to change the track with minimal effort every week. Short track one week, Tri Oval another, Super Speedway the next week, etc, etc...

Regarding the AE, it appealed to me, but I didn't bite because I viewed it as AE using an old platform, rear motor instead of their current platform, mid motor. I realize that the Traxxas uses a rear motor, but Traxxas does not offer a mid motor chassis.
RetroThutmose likes this.

Last edited by MULMZ2; 06-15-2024 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2024, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MULMZ2
I've seen a lot of people state that and a lot of them don't appear to be happy with the name Traxxas chose for this release. I assume Traxxas used the name, because people like me who don't know any better wouldn't know the difference between this release and an actual Mudboss. Both of them look the same to me, but again I don't know anything about this type of car and I don't even know the difference between a Mid West/East Coast Modified. I live on the West Coast and don't remember seeing anything that resembles this body style at the oval races I've been to.

This release appeals to me because it appears to be robust and I assume that due to that it will take a fair amount of abuse on the track, which is great for someone like me who has never raced oval. It also appeals to me, because it will make a great platform for a Baja basher due to the upgrades that Traxxas included if I decide oval isn't my thing.

The HD upgrade kit and tranny cost $100 each, plus with the addition of the GT shocks in my opinion makes this release a tremendous value and the fact that you can drop it on a track right out of the box makes it that much more of a value. For $500 a newb has everything they need to go racing and I think that's awesome. If more manufactures offered similar releases for the various race classes, I think the racing segment of this hobby would grow due to a much lower cost of entry.

I hope this release follows the same path as the SCT Slash and tracks/Race Directors add a box stock class to their programs for it. I also have hopes of seeing no prep oval become a thing like it did with the drags. A no prep oval track is so cheap and easy to make, super simple to set up and tear down, easy to transport, and most of the tracks appear to be pretty small in comparison to on road courses, which should make finding a venue to run no prep a bit easier.

A cool thing about no prep oval would be the ability to change the track with minimal effort every week. Short track one week, Tri Oval another, Super Speedway the next week, etc, etc...

Regarding the AE, it appealed to me, but I didn't bite because I viewed it as AE using an old platform, rear motor instead of their current platform, mid motor. I realize that the Traxxas uses a rear motor, but Traxxas does not offer a mid motor chassis.
In my spare time, I RD our local program. So, I look at that lense. You are likely correct in why they did that. I think they could have accomplished similar without confusing people that don't know the difference. As an RD, people show up all the time with a "XXXXX car" and wonder why it doesn't fit into a specific class. Traxxas could have not created the confusion while still riding the wave of dirt oval.

I love the idea of a spec/RTR dirt modified. I like the MWM body style over the mudboss style. I'm all for a spec class like this and we'll have one. I like the upgrades.

PS, the slash is older than the B5 platform that is being used on the SR10, sans a few upgrades. I don't blame you for not biting on the SR10. It's a bummer they appear to be no more. It would be cool if Traxxas filled the slash street stock void. Yeah, it would create some class issues, but I think it'd create far more opportunity.

My program doesn't have either of those classes in it as of today. It will have a class for the Slash Mod (great name by the way), most likely as a stand alone spec class.
Old 06-16-2024, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Did Traxxas have some level of coordination with the guy that started the Slash-based Mudboss class while they were developing this product?
Old 06-16-2024, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKWAV
Did Traxxas have some level of coordination with the guy that started the Slash-based Mudboss class while they were developing this product?
It doesnt sound like it. I believe he contacted them years ago but they werent interested at that time.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

100% Box stock with this new release….and leave it that way
Old 06-17-2024, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Herc Driver
100% Box stock with this new release….and leave it that way
Does this mean no suspension adjustments, no camber/toe adjustments, stock shock and diff oil?

I can see no changing or altering of parts, but I think different fluids and adjustments should be allowed.
Old 06-17-2024, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Does this mean no suspension adjustments, no camber/toe adjustments, stock shock and diff oil?
99.99% of the time 'Box Stock' means that everything on the car that is adjustable with stock components is allowed fully adjustable, oils/fluid changes allowed, etc ... where gray areas and questions can arise are things like internal limiters in shocks or spring changes, hex adapter locations, Tx/Rx substitutions, and tires/inserts if stock just do not work on the track surface or economically/availability unfeasible (often substituted with another spec tire) ... that comes down to each tracks 'fine tuning' of rules for their specific situation ...
MULMZ2 likes this.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:22 PM
Tech Adept

The chassis appears tough enough that I could see parking lot racers using the dividers as the oval or setting up cones could work depending on the tire compounds available. An affordable and portable timing system is all you would need.
Old 06-20-2024, 04:39 PM
Tech Rookie

My track says if there are 3 of any car, they will run them. So far we have 6! They will run in their own class.
Old 06-20-2024, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MrBassMan
My track says if there are 3 of any car, they will run them. So far we have 6! They will run in their own class.
What track, and are they allowing any changes? (Tx/Rx?)
Old 06-24-2024, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

my local track is doing a box stock class. only changes are fluids for shocks and diffs, internal limiters, and some minor trimming of body for clearances. They want to keep the wheel hexes in stock locations, wheels in stock locations, stock rx/tx , etc. for now.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Most rule pkgs. I have seen call for only adjustable being oils/fluids ... all stock components and electronics (some allow Tx/Rx swap), with hex/wheels all in stock locations, using a 5200/50C or some other full size lipo, many are allowing a connector change ... I still scratch my head as to why anyone would produce a dirt oval package (using a centerline battery) with the next heaviest component (BL-2S ESC) mounted on the right side of the chassis (?)

The most common complaints/issues seem to be wheel clearance, nose hold down issues and instances of more clipless body mount problems (with impact and being marshalled), the spring loaded bellcrank system, and the overall weight of the beast

Last edited by tomkatn; 06-24-2024 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2024, 10:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Default SC Mod at The Krater....Traxxas Modified

We're currently having the Elite Series race at the crater. I'm talking to my phone so never mind the misspells and all the mistakes. Anyway I brought my car to the track and changed a few things around and put a 10.5 turn motor in it. It's a turd and I can see why a lot of people will put 6.5 or 7.5 motors with bigger ESC and that. My buddy Brian is racing his right now and it is definitely off the face but it seems to handle okay on a high Bank High grip clay track. More updates to come! Mess

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.