R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Dirt Oval (https://www.rctech.net/forum/dirt-oval-193/)
-   -   Weird Tire Shape (https://www.rctech.net/forum/dirt-oval/1090142-weird-tire-shape.html)

mediumquick 09-28-2021 10:32 AM

Weird Tire Shape

I had strange results after switching my rear tires. My sprintcar would pull one way and the opposite way after changing sides on the rears . Upon watching the tire shapes, using full throttle one tire would balloon up while the other would not--change sides and same tire would balloon the good one didn't.
So I checked my other DE Racing rears and a similar thing--one tire would balloon and the other wouldn't.
Can Anybody figure out why??

Silverbullet555 09-28-2021 10:37 AM

One tire is likely able to spin more freely due to loading of the car and losing traction in a corner. The more it does it, the more the rubber stretches allowing it continue to balloon. Also, are you using tire sauce on your tires and do you apply it to both rear tires.

the rc guy 09-28-2021 12:29 PM

Ive only had this happen 1 time b4 in 2002 got a set of 1/12 scale (1/10 shore)new out the pac fresh on the wheel cutting machine 1 tire expanded.talked to shop owner got a new set that dint happen to any of those .unlikely loading followed ur move

mediumquick 09-29-2021 11:05 AM

I have the problem on two different types of DE tires, one is HB Silver (super soft) and the other is DE Sprinter (regular D40 soft--not HB ).So I'm gonna try super gluing the insert to the wheel and then will finish gluing the tire to the rim & see what happens. Can't get more tires=--they are on B.O.o
So gotta do something drastic.

Andy Koback 09-29-2021 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mediumquick (Post 15828934)
I have the problem on two different types of DE tires, one is HB Silver (super soft) and the other is DE Sprinter (regular D40 soft--not HB ).So I'm gonna try super gluing the insert to the wheel and then will finish gluing the tire to the rim & see what happens. Can't get more tires=--they are on B.O.o
So gotta do something drastic.

Another trick is to put 2 rounds of duck tape to the inside of the tire. Make the tape narrow enough to go down the center of the tire. This will keep tire from ballooning. Worked for me. -)

tomkatn 09-29-2021 04:34 PM

Are these tires that you mounted, or bought already assembled? ...

mediumquick 09-30-2021 01:50 PM

I mounted them. Oh, oh -- maybe my bad???????????????

8T 12-07-2021 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Andy Koback (Post 15828936)
Another trick is to put 2 rounds of duck tape to the inside of the tire. Make the tape narrow enough to go down the center of the tire. This will keep tire from ballooning. Worked for me. -)

I also use strapping tape. Been using it for years in my nitro buggies and especially truggies!

fyrstormer 12-08-2021 12:40 AM

The most likely cause is manufacturing differences between the two tires. There's no guarantee the molecular structure of the rubber is the same in both tires, even if they're made from the same rubber compound. That's why tires for real cars have all of those complicated belts and cables inside them to force them to maintain the same performance from one tire to the next -- it's possible to make rubber-only tires that don't balloon at their rated speeds, but rubber is just too unpredictable and real cars can't afford to take the risk of having one gimpy tire that behaves weirdly.

Does Pro-Line make belted tires for your car? That would be the easiest and most reliable solution, although more expensive than DIY solutions.

alexo35 12-08-2021 04:53 PM

I haven't seen any belted dirt oval tires, not the norm at the least. Not sure how common it is to use strapping tape on the inside.
--Alex