Wiki Posts
Search

After a 20 yr hiatus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 09:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default After a 20 yr hiatus

I'm gonna jump back into the R/C world. Years ago, I had raced near Burlington Iowa, where they had two outdoor dirt ovals. Started in 2 wheel stock with a FX10, and ended up upgrading to a RC10 Graphite which was modded (suspension wise) for oval use.....lowered, offset battery, etc.

My tentative plan is to go with a BBE Switchblade Midwest Mod. Has anybody had any experience or heard anything good or bad about them? Aside from being a bit pricey, I have heard only good thing at least as relates to customer service.

Which is more popular. . . Midwest Mod or SC Mod? Any advantages to one over the other?

Given the changes in electronics/batteries/etc, this will be a learning experience, but oughta be fun once I get it sorted out.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I raced one dirt oval last year. I bought a stock Slash and converted it into a Mud Boss. That track had pretty open rules. It's best to check with your local track to see what fits into their rules. Also see what those guys are running. If nobody is running one type of car there's probably a reason for it.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:31 AM
Tech Rookie

I am not too worried about building up something that fits a class at my local track....it's having a car that will likely fit into a class at OTHER tracks.

Midwest Modified seems to have somewhat of a nitch following........it is not run at all tracks. My thought is if I build up a MWM, I could also buy a different front bumper and a full body, and with a simple switch, be able to run late model.....which brings up another conundrum.....after 20 years away, do I want to immediately jump into one of the fast classes? If I decide to run in one of the lower classes for a year, will a BBE (or other brand of oval conversion car) be allowed in the lower class? Sometimes they are pretty specific about the chassis being an actual factory buggy chassis.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

MWM is tough and depends on where you race, rules are different everywhere it kinda ducks for traveling. So find where your gonna race majority of the time and get that. If you don't want to jump into a fast class SC mod or Amod would be difficult. Late model is pretty popular and it is fast but not one of the super fast classes I feel.
​​​​​