Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More > Dirt Oval
Direct drive on loose dirt vs packed dirt >

Direct drive on loose dirt vs packed dirt

Direct drive on loose dirt vs packed dirt

Old 04-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Direct drive on loose dirt vs packed dirt

I just recently got a good deal on a Custom Works G6 Direct Drive sprint car. Setup with foams for packed dirt, which is the track I normally run at but it only runs during winter months. I'm coming from a slash late model so this is a bit of a change.

My question: is direct drive made specifically for packed dirt tracks and foam tires? I have another local track that runs during summer months but it's loose dirt. I'm wondering is it worth the money to buy rubber tires and go race on a loose dirt track? Or are gearbox cars more for the loose dirt? And would I be better off just getting it ready for this fall when the Indoor tracks starts again?

Thanks In Advance.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

You're going to want to keep that setup for the high bite track. There are more differences between a CW G6 and an Outlaw 3 than you think. Transmission / DD, Rubber / Foam tires, shock lengths, control arms... just to name a few. Sure, you could probably get it to work ok handling wise, but as soon as dirt gets in your DD diff, you'll wish you had a separate car for both tracks.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by fig865 View Post
You're going to want to keep that setup for the high bite track. There are more differences between a CW G6 and an Outlaw 3 than you think. Transmission / DD, Rubber / Foam tires, shock lengths, control arms... just to name a few. Sure, you could probably get it to work ok handling wise, but as soon as dirt gets in your DD diff, you'll wish you had a separate car for both tracks.
Ok thanks. That's kinda what I figured but wanted to make sure before I spent money.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a direct drive that I run on dirt. It's not really that big of a deal. The biggest problem is depending on your motor rules, you may have a hard time getting the gear ratio that you need. My car was designed with the ability to run a 116 tooth 48 pitch spur but the Custom Works can't go that high. Finding a spur that size is another matter entirely. Especially one that can hold 16 diff balls. I'm on my last one. With a gearbox you have the option of running a slipper, something I ALWAYS recommend, regardless of who says what. I don't have that ability so I run my diff a tad on the loose side. I do rebuild it quite often.