Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
Redcat Racing Everest 10 vs RS10 >

Redcat Racing Everest 10 vs RS10

Redcat Racing Everest 10 vs RS10

Old 07-10-2017, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default Redcat Racing Everest 10 vs RS10

My son and I are looking for a simple rock crawler to play around. My son likes the different steering modes the RS10 have, but I am not a fan of the MOA setup. Please share your experience with them.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have an E10, it has been fun and durable for the past several months I've owned it. Assuming you have another radio /receiver that can handle 4WS programming, it's trivial to upgrade it to have 4 wheel steering. I am not sure whether the stock radio will handle 4WS.

Mine is mostly used on urban obstacles and rocks around the house. I did some free mods to the tires/wheels to get a little more traction, spent $10 on some extended shock mounts, moved the 4 link mounts to the outermost positions to lengthen the wheelbase for a bigger body, and spent about $30 adding steering to the rear axle.

Most of the advice online says to buy extra driveshafts, to upgrade the lockers to axial units, etc. I've bought all that stuff but haven't needed any of it yet. It's been really fun and cheap so far.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It really comes down to what is the overall End Game.

If you are wanting to get into Comps or serious events, there are classifications for MOA vs scalers (SCX10 etc)

The ability to have 4 ch function IS kinda cool, (I used to manage a hobby shop where we sold these, and it is kinda cool) but they do have limits.

The Everest and RS10 are basically the same thing, I think the Everest is the newer version but both MOA. and it appears that the rear is fixed, so no Rear Steer (But it could be updated to accept it if you got the parts)

Everest-10 1/10 Scale Crawler 2.4GHz
Motor Type-Electric Brushed
Transmission- Forward & Reverse
Drive System - 4 Wheel Drive
Length 460mm / Width 260mm / Height 160mm / Dry Weight 2.09kg / Wheelbase
320mm / Ground Clearance- 90mm
Chassis Type- Aluminum
Shocks- Aluminum Capped Oil Filled
Speed Control -Brushed ESC, 45A
Battery- 7.2v 2000mAh NiMh & Charger Included

Rockslide RS10 XT 1/10 Scale Crawler 2.4GHz
Motor Type- Electric Brushed
Transmission - Forward and Reverse With 4-Wheel Steering
Drive System - 4 Wheel Drive
Length 445mm / Width 268mm / Height 148mm / Wheelbase 315mm
Chassis Type - Aluminum
Shocks-Aluminum Capped Oil Filled
Speed Control-Crawler Type Auto Hill Braking
Battery- 7.2v 1800mAh Included with Charger

They are fine for what they are. Fairly basic. Parts are fairly in-expensive, HOWEVER you might check local availability - (If you break something will anyone local have a part, or will you need to Mail-order everything) cause stuff does break.

IMO the 4ws is cool, but he might get tired of it. If you plan to comp or do more trails, I might steer toward something like an SCX10 (more expensive, but larger support) or in keeping with the REDCAT theme, the new
Everest - Everest-Gen7
that is pending release. Similar to the SCX10, but might offer more value.

Good Luck,

MOmo
Old 07-10-2017, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

I believe the Everest 10 is not MOA. We mainly will be running it around the house and taking it on trails and camping. We do own a RC4WD Gelande 2 D90, a Sawback and a Ascender. We are just looking for something different.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just picked up an RS10 a few weeks ago. MOA is different for sure. No torque twist, very low COG, not very scale. It's not a trail truck, it's more a rock crawler in the purest form.

I haven't run mine yet, been busy with some stuff around the house, but I can say for sure it's going to be getting some mods right off the bat. Mostly lowering the battery in the chassis and reworking the shocks to lay it down a bit more.

Decent platform for messing around. Won't ever be a pro class crawler, but fine for backyard crawling on the cheap.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

We took the trail trucks camping this past weekend. The kids (some don't know how to drive) beat on the trucks. My daughter broke the turn knuckle on the D90 ramming the truck straight into a log. They also beat on the Ascender for couple of hours on the camp site and nothing broke. I guess the metal parts on the D90 don't have a lot of give. My son took his Sawback on the trail and did very well with the wheel weight. Anyway, I think we will pickup one of these just for messing around.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The guys in our club with Trailfinders were always doing the walk of shame. The Gelandes are better, but seem to require gallons of threadlocker.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

I am waiting for the RS10 to become available. Both Tower and Amain are out of stock.

So far my D90 is holding up pretty good. I am not sure how the truck hit to break of the ears of the turn knuckle.