Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
New and need some help! >

New and need some help!

New and need some help!

Old 02-24-2017, 08:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New and need some help!

Hey guys. So I need some help. I need to get the most torque I cam at around 10k rpm. Would it be better to go with a higher rpm motor like a t55 or higher and reduce down with a gearbox? Or run direct power off a motor that has more torque to begin with and runs already at around 10k rpm? Keeping in mind voltage would be equivalent.
Any imput on my dilemma would help, thanks!
Old 02-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Do you have some more details on your current setup and what the vehicle you're using is? Is brushless an option?
Old 02-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Tech Rookie

This set up I am looking at building is actually not for a rc vehicle. It's for a prototype I am developing. I would need a brushed motor due to the possibility of whatever getting I to the drive system. I have been told that brushless motors don't do to good in a wet environment.
Basicly looking to make the most torque I can at aprox 10k rpm. Can work with any voltage.
This forum I figured would be the best way to get some info!
Old 02-25-2017, 05:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

if you are looking for torque, a higher turned brushe motor will give it you you.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

the biggest issue I can see right of the bat is that 10,000rpm is very low for a typical rc motor, meaning its going to be drawing a lot of amps. amps = heat.

The general crawling mantra is volt up, gear down. Is this possible at all? How heavy is the vehicle that it will be driving?

sensorless brushless has zero issues with water. Sensored brushless can be waterproofed, or places like holmes hobbies sell motors and esc's already waterproofed.

I'd start taking a look at something like the holmes hobbies torquemaster expert. They are helpful enough to list the kv ratings of their motors.

35t = 1450 rpm/volt
45t = 1210 rpm/volt
55t = 987 rpm/volt

the 55t on 11.1v(3s lipo) comes in at pretty much spot on 11,000rpm if that is suitable? Otherwise the 35t on 7.4v(2s lipo) comes in at 10,730rpm, but will run hotter.

without any more details though, its still very hard to recommend anything. for all I know you're moving around 200kg, in which case neither of the motors would be suitable in the slightest.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you! That is all great info. Sounds like the 55t on 11.1v is what I will try first. There may be some trial and error with this but that's OK. And it is actually not a vehicle I am using this set up for. With out going into too much detail it is going into a portable saw prototype I am developing!

Thanks again!