Servos..

Reply

Old 02-08-2017, 04:59 PM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
wydopen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 134
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Servos..

Hi guys...new to crawlers but not to RC...my friend lent me an older Axial AX10 Scorpion with a Novak Goat crawler setup and I have been having a blast with it so I had to get my own...

Made a trade for one that looks like it will work well but I will be needing to get a better servo...the AX10 I've been driving has a Hitec low voltage with 330ish oz-in of torque...seems to be enough as I've been able to get the thing out of some pretty crazy spots...

I'm having trouble deciding on which servo to get for my crawler..The esc has a 6v BEC which Im noticing seems common for crawler esc's...If I'm going to spend a bunch of $ on a good servo I would like to get something I could use in one of my 1/8 nitro buggies down the road..was thinking I could get a protek 130t but at 6v's it is only 280oz...was tempted to just get a protek 170t as Ive been using the 170's in my nitro buggy and they are great but then my servo will be the most expensive part of my crawler..

What are you guys running for servos and what is the minimum amount of torque I should be looking for...will be driving on big sandstone rocks that have good grip and lots of cracks that wheels can get wedged in...

Thanks for the help
wydopen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:28 PM
  #2  
Tech Master
iTrader: (35)
 
King DORK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 1,142
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

I run an Airtronics 94780M in my Losi Comp Crawler. 423 oz at 6.0 volts $115 from Stormerhobbies.
King DORK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:10 PM
  #3  
Tech Master
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,327
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-HD-WP-...4AAOSwx2dYG~6G
trigger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:27 AM
  #4  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (252)
 
hotrod87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kalispell Mt
Posts: 11,090
Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)
Default

My favorite servo has always been the the jr z9100t for a crawler. The hitec hs7954 has also been a great servo for me and a little less pricey. Ive tried the ebay or???? Cheap hi torque servos like the tower pro 995 and 996 and the are ok but always hit or miss whether they work and or how long. Usually die quick if there going to die. Best thing to do in my opinion if your going to run a bigger badder servo is. Get a castle or other bec so not to try and run a power hungry servo off of the esc. I have used many of the turnigy 3a 5v/6v ones at less than $4 and they have been great for running just a servo.
hotrod87 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:29 AM
  #5  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Reno NV.
Posts: 15
Default

Servo is 1 part where you really dont want to go cheap. Get a bec that way you have the option to run high voltage servos.. You really want 400oz and up
BigBlokBoi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:51 AM
  #6  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TUCSON AZ
Posts: 124
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

i love my savox 1283sg full aluminum case. 416 oz at 6v
cbarros82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:00 PM
  #7  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
wydopen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 134
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Thanks guys...I dont cheap out on servos in my other vehicles no reason to do it here either...Will prob get the protek 170t or 170tbl so If I want to use it for a throttle servo down the road it will be fast enough

so this BEC will be ok? never used an external one before...guess I just need to get the castle link to adjust output
https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle-...153-00/p575484
wydopen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:22 PM
  #8  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (12)
 
kingy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 396
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

I've been hearing some pretty bad reports from the protek 170t series...

Can't go wrong with a hitec 7950th though. Thats exactly what I run in my bully2 with zero dramas.

http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/...-servo/product

And that bec is perfect.
kingy1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:24 PM
  #9  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
wydopen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 134
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Ive been using the 170s in my 1/8 buggy with no problems...I just pulled the trigger on a new brushless 170tbl so we will see...
wydopen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:37 PM
  #10  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
rjohn929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 307
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I have not had any issues with the several Protek servos I run in all kinds of RC's. One to look at that has been excellent is the Promodeler V4. Not quite as strong as some of the others but very respectable and only $80. Servos have come a long way since the 9100, 7954 or even the 7950 (I have not had good luck with mine at all. Several stripped gears sets).

I just bought a Savox 2290 and Protek 370 to test out on some new U4's I have in the works.
rjohn929 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:59 PM
  #11  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
wydopen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 134
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Funny because the 170s that is my throttle servo in my nitro started acting up yesterday...not sure if it was a radio/receiver issue or the actual servo...rebound the radio and it worked fine after but was intermittent before

Instead of starting a new thread maybe you guys could school me a bit on a few things...the crawler I've been using is an AX10 scorpion..

Did the Wraith replace the ax10 and if so is it just as capable? Seems like there are allot of rock racers and scalers now, dont see allot of crazy buggies...I have zero interest in going fast..I have my race cars for that...just want to do technical gnarly rocks..where I live is awesome for that..

that being said I was going to pick up a set of tires...Proline chisels look like that will work ok?? The ax10 has Proline Hammers on it that have been working good but those look to be discontinued..do you guys do any trimming or anything to the inserts? Thanks
wydopen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:26 PM
  #12  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (12)
 
kingy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 396
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by wydopen View Post
Funny because the 170s that is my throttle servo in my nitro started acting up yesterday...not sure if it was a radio/receiver issue or the actual servo...rebound the radio and it worked fine after but was intermittent before

Instead of starting a new thread maybe you guys could school me a bit on a few things...the crawler I've been using is an AX10 scorpion..

Did the Wraith replace the ax10 and if so is it just as capable? Seems like there are allot of rock racers and scalers now, dont see allot of crazy buggies...I have zero interest in going fast..I have my race cars for that...just want to do technical gnarly rocks..where I live is awesome for that..

that being said I was going to pick up a set of tires...Proline chisels look like that will work ok?? The ax10 has Proline Hammers on it that have been working good but those look to be discontinued..do you guys do any trimming or anything to the inserts? Thanks
Wraith is a rock racer, ax10 is a comp crawler. Totally different. I don't have an ax10, but have been considering building an ar60 axled shafty. I'm more into scalers and rock racers, but do have a nicely built up bully2 based 2.2 pro.

Chisels and hammers are pretty rubbish. Generally the best 2.2 crawling tires are ottsix voodoo comps. Combine with crawler innovations double deuce foams. Trimming foams isnt really done any more. The most you'll see is regular vs comp cut inner foams, but that's done at the factory. Other popular comp tires are rc4wd bully comp and hotbodies rovers and Sedonas. The latter do need a bit of modifying to work the best they can, trimming lugs and shaving sidewalls is often done, as well as narrowing if you have a nice lightweight rig.
kingy1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:45 AM
  #13  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
rjohn929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 307
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kingy1 View Post
Wraith is a rock racer, ax10 is a comp crawler. Totally different. I don't have an ax10, but have been considering building an ar60 axled shafty. I'm more into scalers and rock racers, but do have a nicely built up bully2 based 2.2 pro.

Chisels and hammers are pretty rubbish. Generally the best 2.2 crawling tires are ottsix voodoo comps. Combine with crawler innovations double deuce foams. Trimming foams isnt really done any more. The most you'll see is regular vs comp cut inner foams, but that's done at the factory. Other popular comp tires are rc4wd bully comp and hotbodies rovers and Sedonas. The latter do need a bit of modifying to work the best they can, trimming lugs and shaving sidewalls is often done, as well as narrowing if you have a nice lightweight rig.
Tires are all different and there is no best tire for everyone. It all depends on the surface you are going to run on. For crawlers the go to used to be rovers or sedonas, these were replaced by pins or custom pieced together combinations of the 2. If your running outside on more of a trail surface it's really hard to beat TSL XL's. They seem to work well on a large variety of surfaces. I have recently started using some Hyrax tires and they seem to be very good as well. The VooDoos are generally a U4 tire, not the greatest for crawling.
rjohn929 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:59 AM
  #14  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (12)
 
kingy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 396
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rjohn929 View Post
Tires are all different and there is no best tire for everyone. It all depends on the surface you are going to run on. For crawlers the go to used to be rovers or sedonas, these were replaced by pins or custom pieced together combinations of the 2. If your running outside on more of a trail surface it's really hard to beat TSL XL's. They seem to work well on a large variety of surfaces. I have recently started using some Hyrax tires and they seem to be very good as well. The VooDoos are generally a U4 tire, not the greatest for crawling.
I'm talking about voodoo comp tires, not their u4rc tires, which are totally different, as are their klr's.

Picture for reference, they are voodoo comps.



https://www.ottsix.com/voodoo-pin
kingy1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:14 AM
  #15  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
rjohn929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 307
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kingy1 View Post
I'm talking about voodoo comp tires, not their u4rc tires, which are totally different, as are their klr's.

Picture for reference, they are voodoo comps.



https://www.ottsix.com/voodoo-pin
Ah yes. My bad. I missed the comp part.
rjohn929 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service