Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Crawler Room
1/35 scale Orlandoo OH35A01 Jeep crawler build >

1/35 scale Orlandoo OH35A01 Jeep crawler build

Like Tree10Likes

1/35 scale Orlandoo OH35A01 Jeep crawler build

Old 02-15-2018, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My battery is much smaller than the one you have, mine's a lipo. I can't take the case off my rx it has a built in antenna and it's on a little pcb board that in the top half of the case. Wasn't real happy with my radio so today I bought a Tactic TXX300. On mine I did remove the normal rx plugs and covered the pins with color coded heat shrink to safe some room. My motor/gearbox actually has little tabs on it that will hold the rx on 1 side and the rx on the other. Would just need to insulate the back so that there wouldn't be a chance to short against the motor.

Mine works the way it is but the wiring for the rx touches the roof. Like you said by putting the boards standing upright by the motor will also help lower the CG.

It's fun figuring all this out with the help from the forums and FB, the next one will be easier. When I get this one done and my track built I want to get the Jeep. I have 3 full size crawlers so I think I also need 3 minis. :-)
Old 02-16-2018, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Good to hear you're getting Jeep next and working on custom track. I see Tactic TXX300 have small size receiver like my Flysky gt3b should helped to compact your build. Btw what kind of driving you're on for this micro orlandoo; serious crawling or scale trail driving? If serious crawling i think you need to work on those wheel width to make it more stable when doing steep tilting on its side.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

I think the rx for the TXX300 will work much better than the Futaba I'm using & it's their small one.

With my 1/10 scale I do a combination of trial driving & crawling combined. Alot depends on where we go. There are a couple of places where it's more crawling. My layout will probably be a combination of the 2. I'm starting with a 3'x3' base and going from there. I like your cave so mine will definitely have one too. Probably start with that and work off it. I called it a cave but not in the true since of the word it will have at least 2 ways in.

I have some different tires & wheels on the way. I bought some big block tires which should be bigger. If I understand your wheel mod correctly you opened up the slot in the wheels & then put them on backwards. Your Jeep looks good like that.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

The weather was warm yesterday so I was able to get some paint on the Pajero. I think Sunday it will be warm enough to finish it. Have to paint outside, no place inside to paint.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Gramps50 View Post
I think the rx for the TXX300 will work much better than the Futaba I'm using & it's their small one.

With my 1/10 scale I do a combination of trial driving & crawling combined. Alot depends on where we go. There are a couple of places where it's more crawling. My layout will probably be a combination of the 2. I'm starting with a 3'x3' base and going from there. I like your cave so mine will definitely have one too. Probably start with that and work off it. I called it a cave but not in the true since of the word it will have at least 2 ways in.

I have some different tires & wheels on the way. I bought some big block tires which should be bigger. If I understand your wheel mod correctly you opened up the slot in the wheels & then put them on backwards. Your Jeep looks good like that.

Take time on your cave, it will grow slowly. Yes i flipped the wheels around for wider off-set it helps with stability. But i can't used back my alloy wheels unlike plastics but more likely put back on my next Pajero build.

The weather was warm yesterday so I was able to get some paint on the Pajero. I think Sunday it will be warm enough to finish it. Have to paint outside, no place inside to paint.

So how bout the lower part of the body shell, what color you're planning to put? Hand brushed?
Old 02-17-2018, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

The bottom of the Pajero is going to be metallic silver.

Started working on the track today

This is a draft per say. When done the steps will more than likely be slops or something of the sort.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

Had a warm spell so I was able to put some paint on the bottom of the body. While the paint was dry

ing I installed the lights. Didn't even try using the small SMD LEDs that came with the Pajero. I got some 3mm red LEDs off eBay and they worked well. Wired the lights to a 1s lipo to test them out. Waiting for a new rx so I can relocate the electronics to a lower position. Currently the plugs for the rx hit the roof with the body on. Works but I want to lower the CG too.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

The bottom of the Pajero is going to be metallic silver.

Started working on the track today

This is a draft per say. When done the steps will more than likely be slops or something of the sort.

I can't see details in photos, are those white stacks of plywood or foams? Btw nice design plans for the track. Looks big.

Had a warm spell so I was able to put some paint on the bottom of the body. While the paint was dry

ing I installed the lights. Didn't even try using the small SMD LEDs that came with the Pajero. I got some 3mm red LEDs off eBay and they worked well. Wired the lights to a 1s lipo to test them out. Waiting for a new rx so I can relocate the electronics to a lower position. Currently the plugs for the rx hit the roof with the body on. Works but I want to lower the CG too.

I used to have problem soldering those tiny microscopic SMD Led supplied in orlandoo took me huge leap of faith to solder those. Nice silver paint on the lower Pajero body.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by xl-racing View Post
I can't see details in photos, are those white stacks of plywood or foams? Btw nice design plans for the track. Looks big.
The white stacks are white styrofoam, the kind made of the tiny styrofoam balls glued together. Was much cheaper than the blue base which is polystyrene or something like that. It's used as sheathing when building houses here. It's actually tung & grove. The base is 36 in x 36 in
Old 02-20-2018, 08:03 PM
Tech Adept

Ordered some new tires and wheels. The tires are what Orlandoo calls Big Blocks and you and see they are wider than the stock tire.

Also got some chrome wheels, look much better than the stock wheels.

The Big Block tires are much wider than stock.

Wanted a separate controller so I ordered a Tatic TXX300 which has a nice small 3 channel rx plus I save around of 3g of weight. I removed the case to save even more weight and make it easier to mount.

Mounted the rx & esc on edge next to motor to help lower the cg.

Wired the lights too while I was working on it.

Now I have to get to work on the crawling track. Gets pretty boring crawling over the keyboard.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Hmm.., your new tires do look big and knobby. Wonder if you could published a video how does the tyres perform vs stock. Btw it should have enough room to put some anchor weight around the radials (wheel weight ring) to get more weight pushing down the tyre for extra grip and CG. I haven't done that but i might try to wrap heavy wire around the rims within tire wall this weekend.

Now I have to get to work on the crawling track. Gets pretty boring crawling over the keyboard.
Yes, its about time you should start do that, once done you'll i'm sure you'll ended up whole collection of orlandoos. Have track, have trucks.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Can't use the stock tires until a get another set of foams. Only have the one set and they are now glued inside the new tires. Not sure how the new tires will work yet but here is a video of them testing the concept of the new crawling track.

https://youtu.be/hrhT1JCmtMU

I thought about wheel weights but wanted to try the Pajero without them first. Orlando has another set of Big Block tires that has a more aggressive tread, I want to get a set if those to try.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Can't use the stock tires until a get another set of foams. Only have the one set and they are now glued inside the new tires. Not sure how the new tires will work yet but here is a video of them testing the concept of the new crawling track.

https://youtu.be/hrhT1JCmtMU

I thought about wheel weights but wanted to try the Pajero without them first. Orlando has another set of Big Block tires that has a more aggressive tread, I want to get a set if those to try.
Nice video climbing demo, looks slipper on the first climb probably the foam is still raw. If painted with acrylic and sticky laquer it will grip nicely.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

It didn't help that the tires has picked up some small styrofoam balls. Haven't tried it yet but I think I have the traction issue in hand. I hot the ramp with a heat gun to give it some character and it make the surface melt just a tad. I was planning on painting mine with acrylic paint so I would think that would help with traction too.

It's all made with the blue foam now, the white just wasn't working for me. The stuff I had is different from the kind you recycled form the plane box.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Oh yes great ideas on using heating from heat gun for molding the terrains works, it does make it looks like carved lime stones like inside the cavern. Btw i manage to reduce extra 15% weight off my jeep. Should be ready for another action to see how it climb without much struggle.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service